· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    I'm kinda new to black water being done with leaves, how fast does the water chemistry change with using leaves? What readings (ph ammonia, etc)? Are the altums you are buying used to this kind of water? Are they wild or tank raised fish? I find wild altums to be a very hard fish to adapt, once there adapted they seem to do well.

It depends on your KH. A high KH of 8 would not change the PH or TDS value. The problem with wild altums is that no matter what water chemistry they have adapted to, any PH above 4 will allow pathogenic bacteria growth that they are not immune to. This could lead to sudden bacterial infections that kill quickly with no physical symptoms. They also need temperature as high as discus, around 84f or higher. Too low temperatures will lead to stress and infection.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I threw in some maple leaves as well because I like the leaf litter look, but IALs degrade much faster than other leaves. They add stronger tannins for sure.

http://www.aquariadise.com
    I'd like to correct this. My maple leaves degraded quicker than I had thought!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    I'm kinda new to black water being done with leaves, how fast does the water chemistry change with using leaves? What readings (ph ammonia, etc)? Are the altums you are buying used to this kind of water? Are they wild or tank raised fish? I find wild altums to be a very hard fish to adapt, once there adapted they seem to do well.
    The Altums Ill be getting will be wilds. I am sure that they will be difficult, but I have raised difficult fish in the past.
    Right now I have a group of wild geophagus in the same tank and they are doing well with 2 x 50% water changes weekly, 2 FX 6 filters and an added UV sterilizer that I use to keep bacteria at a minimum. The pH is around 7.4, however, so I may or may not be successful. Temperature is at 82. Kh 2/GH 5.
    Last edited by discusluv; 11-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    what pump are you using to keep the low flow through the UV sterilizer?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    We have a t-connector off the out of the FX6. Then a ball valve off the t-connector going to the UV sterilizer. And finally a flow meter on the out of the UV to accurately measure/adjust the flow rate.

Here is a picture of set-up:

IMG_6196.jpg
    Last edited by discusluv; 11-24-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, very cool set up!