· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunqn81 View Post
    Mix n match...?
    What you mean mix and mach?
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

0 Not allowed!
    Just for example, #4 & #5 together, or whatever. Depending on what kind of dw selection you have available...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    When I was setting up the different configurations, I looked at #2 and thought, if you chimed in that would be one you liked. Could you imagine that covered in the moss you have me?. With the high light and the crypts growing compact. Would they grow fast enough to trim regularly?
    If I am reading D Walstad's book correctly. The plants tank up the toxins and what not but they need to grow fast enough so you can trim them to remove the "crap" from the tank, at least at the beginning, she does talk about fast growing plants to start and once established mix in less aggressive plants.
    If you're looking for more aggressive plants than you want to start with stem plants. Something like hornwort, foxtail or elodea are fast growing. I guess once you get that establish, then you can move on to crypts. I think the subwasertang would look spectacular on driftwood. I'm not sure about removing the crap from the tank. When plants use nutrients their kind of locked up in the leaves until the leaves die and decompose. So I don't see how trimming them to remove the crap is beneficial. That's dumb plants love to be trimmed so there would be another reason to start with stems.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    One stem plant I had that grew so fast was water wisteria (hygro difformis) - a very pretty plant also. It will require trimming often.

http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantde...s(051BDT)/4485

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Water sprite too, ceratopteris thalictroides. It's very similar to a Wisteria but its leaves are a little thinner
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    ... With the high light and the crypts growing compact. Would they grow fast enough to trim regularly?
    If I am reading D Walstad's book correctly. The plants tank up the toxins and what not but they need to grow fast enough so you can trim them to remove the "crap" from the tank, at least at the beginning, she does talk about fast growing plants to start and once established mix in less aggressive plants.
    I think the idea behind planting fast growing plants in the beginning is so that the explosion of nutrients gets used up by plant growth and not algae. I could be wrong! As far as I know, you do not need to trim the 'crap' out, unless you are talking about ugly growth which I doubt you'll run into using dirt.

If your crypts don't explode with growth, there's something terribly wrong because crypts love dirt. They will spread by shooting out daughter plants below substrate. You can replant them to spread them out, but they do very well in my dirted tanks and don't require trimming.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your luck has to get better... - Slaphppy7   positive wishes for your troubled tank! - SeaLady   Flowers to sooth you - lots of stress lately. - DebinWhitmore   You are the cycling queen - Silbar   your right ;-) - AmazonJoe   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - cajunqn81   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I think the idea behind planting fast growing plants in the beginning is so that the explosion of nutrients gets used up by plant growth and not algae.
    That makes more sense to me, anyway

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

3 Not allowed!
    Here's what the 20g looks like while I am redoing the 29g. I just might keep it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Why wouldn't you?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The pothos in the 20g

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast