· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

1 Not allowed!
    I did pick up D. Walstad's book yesterday, just couldn't wait till the weekend. Hoprfully it is slow at work today so I can get some of it read.
    Last edited by Hockey nut; 11-30-2017 at 01:13 PM.
    If it's too loud you're too old
    If it's too fast then it must be thrash

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    Glad you brought that up Kat. Since I am using botanicals I am wanting to have a leaf litter bed so I will need open space. Now I just need to some how figure out planted space to botanical/leaf little space that will work.
    I know I just threw my newest tank together, it's the permanent QT tank in my spare bedroom, but I dirted sections of the tank. The back left for Amazon swords and right front for crypt wendtii. I left most of the front with only gravel for a leaf litter or open area and the middle with gravel only to place my rocks with java fern. Maybe you could try dirting low containers and burrying them? Idk, just a thought to keep your dirt where you want it. I have not idea what Diana would say about it lol
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-30-2017 at 08:26 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Thanks! - Boundava   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - KENR   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    I don't remember Walstad saying that plants will consume ammonia.
    The follow was copied from the Q&A section of 2. Ammonia Toxicity in Plants

I did delete some her answer just to save space.

Q. Is there any evidence that plants in the aquarium take up ammonia (NH 3)?

A. The truth is plants cannot keep ammonia out. For ammonia diffuses freely across the cell membranes of all organisms (plants, fish, etc) [62].

I would assume that plants constantly remove ammonia from aquarium water.

Plants rapidly detoxify ammonia [61]. As NH3 enters plant cells by diffusing across the cell membrane, the plant combines it with a hydrogen ion (H +) and converts it to non-toxic ammonium (NH 4 +) [62]. This NH4 + can be stored in cell vacuoles.

Plants can also detoxify ammonia by immediately using it to synthesize proteins. NH3 is combined with stored carbohydrates to form ordinary amino acids (see page 111 ) that make up the plant’s proteins. Plants that contain plentiful stored carbohydrates can tolerate ammonia better than carbohydrate-depleted plants.

To me and please correct me if I am wrong, isn't she saying plants can't help but absorbe ammonia from the water?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I think so. But I have yet to actually read her book You are making me want to pick up that book now! Sounds like she's saying plants plentiful in carbs do the same thing Prime does.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    It my be the same but I would think it takes the plants, no matter how many, time to do what prime does right away.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    And, plants won't detoxify chlorine/chloramine like Prime does
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey nut View Post
    The follow was copied from the Q&A section of 2. Ammonia Toxicity in Plants

I did delete some her answer just to save space.

Q. Is there any evidence that plants in the aquarium take up ammonia (NH 3)?

A. The truth is plants cannot keep ammonia out. For ammonia diffuses freely across the cell membranes of all organisms (plants, fish, etc) [62].

I would assume that plants constantly remove ammonia from aquarium water.

Plants rapidly detoxify ammonia [61]. As NH3 enters plant cells by diffusing across the cell membrane, the plant combines it with a hydrogen ion (H +) and converts it to non-toxic ammonium (NH 4 +) [62]. This NH4 + can be stored in cell vacuoles.

Plants can also detoxify ammonia by immediately using it to synthesize proteins. NH3 is combined with stored carbohydrates to form ordinary amino acids (see page 111 ) that make up the plant’s proteins. Plants that contain plentiful stored carbohydrates can tolerate ammonia better than carbohydrate-depleted plants.

To me and please correct me if I am wrong, isn't she saying plants can't help but absorbe ammonia from the water?
    plants can detoxify ammonia if they have an excess of the hydrogen ion+ as it goes through them. So yeah, no choice in having ammonia pass through them. They do not consume the ammonia.

in preceding paragraphs, it does say that "sensitive species of aquatic plants would be harmed by 1mg/l NH4+" (ammonium) and "Aquatic plants vary in their ability to tolerate ammonia..."

So do not count on plants reducing toxicity of ammonia.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 12-01-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    But they slowly convert it to ammonium, then consume it?

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to say plants can take the place of Prime in any way. I was just surprised they can detoxify ammonia. Thanks for making that statement clear:)
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    But they slowly convert it to ammonium, then consume it?

Yeah, sorry I didn't mean to say plants can take the place of Prime in any way. I was just surprised they can detoxify ammonia. Thanks for making that statement clear:)
    If you have the correct plant species, with an excess of hydrogen ions in it, it can convert ammonia to ammonium (slowly compared to prime) passively. It has no choice but to turn ammonia to ammonium. The no choice part, I suspect, is why some plants can't tolerate ammonia, where the stripping of hydrogen ions affects its health. It will then eat the ammonium.

The problem with a low tech tank is that your water may not be able to sustain a plant the can reduce the toxicity of ammonia. You would also have to research or go through trial and error finding the right plant and giving it the right conditions to turn ammonia to ammonium.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's has been awhile for and update on this build. I was going to use some cheap top soil from home depot I had in the garage. The only thing it said on the label was humus and sand mixed in. A lot of things I read was, cheap top soil is the way to go. I put in a 5g bucket filled it full of water, mixed it up really good with my hands and let it sit a day.

I have a room in the basement that I pulled the carpet out of. I laid some plastic down and dumped it on the floor to dry. I spread it out to about a 2" layer, opened the heater vent to the room and stuck a fan on low to circulate the air and let it sit for a few days. When I went back down it was dry but really not a 'workable' soil. The closest I can come do describe it is: peanut brittle. you could pick it up in thin chunks and if you smacked the floor with it, it would break apart like pb would if you did the same thing. Thinking since I haven't read any place that the soil would do this, I decided I am going to pick up some miracle grow and start over.

Right now I have 150lbs of sand drying in the basement. I am going to mix 100lbs of play sand and 50lbs of the Diamond Black Blasting Sand.. I have a 55g in our bedroom that I am setting up somewhat simultaneously,pretty much the same way. I figure I should be set on my cap.

I have been researching lighting, and think I am going to go with this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KJLXIPR4&psc=1

I posted on the AC facebook page that I was going to go with the se model, The con that heard the most was intensity and length of the lighting in 24/7 mode created algae problems. according to specs you can adjust the light intensity throughout the 24/7 mode. I couldn't care less for the storm mode or the different color modes you can program into it. I am thinking if algae starts becoming a problem, I can play with the cloudy day mode see if that would help regulate it. Although in the dark and dirty world of decomposing botanically stained water, IMHO some algae actually enhances the over all appeal.

I know just like everything else in this hobby, those who have done this for awhile have their favorites. So from your experience what's good and what's not so good?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast