· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Cockatoo dwarf cichlids, Kribs and rams

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

For christmas im getting either a 29 -45 gallon. Assuming its a 45 gallon i have stocking plans and was wondering if you guys think its a safe and good idea. Ive also made a few ideas for my 10 gallon since my brother is giving me a 15 or 20 gallon. Here are the plans:

45 gallon:

2x German Blue Rams
    3x Pearl Gouramis
    2x opaline gouramis {one of these 2 is gonna be my opaline blue gourami in the 10 gallon
    2x Kribs
    8x dwarf loaches
    6x brichardi {2 of these will be the pair in my 10 gallon}
    1x bristlenose pleco

15 or 20 gallon from my brother:

5x dwarf cockatoo cichlids
    3x yoyo loaches {2 of these are from my 10 gallon}

Im planning on breeding the dwarf cockatoo cichlids and selling them to cover some of the fishkeeping costs. so my current 10 gallon will be used for rearing fry and ive got a 1 1/2 gallon for a hosptial to care for sick fish in need. So the question for you is: Are my tanks to overstocked? Do i still have more room? Are the plans gonna have fish that re not compatable? What?.

Squidman

P.S if ive got enough room in the 45 gallon i might add more rams or maybe a few croaking gouramis.
    Last edited by Squidman; 12-05-2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: to fix the title
    ---------
    Yay --- Portland Trail Blazers 12 game winning streak

10 gallon

2 yoyo loaches
    2 birchardi
    1 three spot gourami

38 gallon

not set up yet

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for being a nice person! ...and the fiendship! :-) - digital3   Thanks for ID'ing my Apisto - Spyder   youre always so nice! - cocoa_pleco   Merry Christmas Jess :) - MeganL3985   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Fishalicious   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Fishalicious   Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - Fishalicious   HIV/AIDS - Fishalicious   

0 Not allowed!
    5x dwarf cockatoo cichlids

is definately not going to work - world war III !

Stick to a harem for breeding - 1 male and 2 females
    My own Fish Blog
    Small Fish for Small Tanks

'The measure of kindness is that you are kind without measure'

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your puppies, grandma :) - Dave66   thanks for the SW help :) - squirt_12   Just for being a good friend - ILuvMyGoldBarb   for all the awesome help! - squirt_12   guess! :) - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    I would be hesitant about the gouramie in with Kribs. Especially if you ahve a pair of Kribs. I'm not sure how the brichardi will do either....but the rest of your plan sounds ok to me. You might consider replacing the gouramie and brichardi with a nice school of rummy nose tetras as dither fish. The German blue rams, if you get male and female, do best in a harem situation. 1 male w/ 2-3 females. But they're fine with Kribs.
    Same with the Dwarf Cockatoos. 1 male 2-3 female.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas my friend! - Taurus   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year! - Slaphppy7   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - jeffs99dime   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    as for kribensis, you may want to consider getting 2 males or 2 females unless you are going to breed them in a seperate tank. i have kept both male and female and both together and they will fight with one another unless in the same sex

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your puppies, grandma :) - Dave66   thanks for the SW help :) - squirt_12   Just for being a good friend - ILuvMyGoldBarb   for all the awesome help! - squirt_12   guess! :) - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Two female Kribs in the same tank without a male might be fine.....but I wouldn't advise putting two males in the same tank unless it's about 100 gal. I had two males and no females in my 55 gal and had WWIII on my hands. I've never had a problem with a male and female together.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Why not just have a ram tank with some bottom feeders instead of so much of a selection of just a couple each.

Or get the dwarf Apistogramma which is from the same family as rams?
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 12-05-2007 at 03:58 AM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What i have been hoping to do is get a small varitey of cichlids and gouramis and some bottom feeders in my tank. Here's a plan i could go with though.

45 gallon:

6x German blue rams
    8x dwarf loaches
    4x dwarf cockatoo cichlids

15-20 gallon:

1x blue opaline gourami
    2x yoyo loaches
    3x pearl gouramis
    6x brichardi

That way i could have my current 10 gallon be a rearing tank for ram fry and/or dwarf cockatoo cichlid fry. And that way my gouramis would be in a seperate tank from cichlids except the brichardi which should be fine. Here's a few more questions i have: IS the 15-20 gallo plan too overstocked? And would i have to have a divider between the rams and dwarf cockatoo cichlid fry?Ive been hoping to sell the fry of the rams and dwarf cockatoo cichlids to cover a little of the expense of my fishkeeping.
    ---------
    Yay --- Portland Trail Blazers 12 game winning streak

10 gallon

2 yoyo loaches
    2 birchardi
    1 three spot gourami

38 gallon

not set up yet

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   heres a easter egg for easter! - cocoa_pleco   you need a slush - Lady Hobbs   What? Only 3 gifts? I'll change that! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    brichardis do best in a species tank
    CORRECTED video of my fish. This link works. For sure. Really.

Tanks:
    20g long: 4 panda cories, 1 honey gourami, 1 apistogramma borellii, 1 male cacatuoides
    20g High: 3 bolivian rams, 12 rasboras
    8g hex: empty
    5g: empty