· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Lots of great photos! Love the gobies-they are always so darn grumpy its what makes them so endearing to me. Want to get a couple freshwater in my river tank. Nice buy with the zoas, looking forward to seeing your set up. Was that a pom-pom crab, well the salty equivalent that magically appeared? S/he is a cutie and I am glad its made its presence known.
    Yep, a pom pom crab. I had wanted one ever since I started researching SW and learning all about the crazy mutualism/symbiotic relationships. Just blew my mind that a little crab would find and learn to hold anemones in each claw to use as a defensive tool. I never pulled the trigger on buying them because I always heard about how rare it is to see your pom pom after adding it to a tank. When I saw one in person at my local reef store a few weeks back, though, my compulsive buying got the better of me and I bought it without a second thought.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Where would we be without that compulsion to get what we find rare and beautiful...?
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Thanks!

The gobies are called Wheeler's prawn gobies. Some sites list them as Gorgeous gobies.

What's holding you back from setting up a SW tank?
    Well, mostly just that I need another tank like I need a hole in the head. ha ha Truth be told, I've been a bit bored with my tanks. Ideas for future projects include a west African pond, a Wyoming creek, and a Himilayan foothills stream palladium. And yes, a saltwater tidepool. I feel like just the past couple years I've really figured out how to do planted tanks, and I'm reluctant to take on a whole new type of ecosystem with saltwater. What with all my other time-consuming hobbies, I just don't have the time or energy right now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Where would we be without that compulsion to get what we find rare and beautiful...?
    That's actually quite insightful as it stretches way beyond the hobby. That would be a great question to pose in a philosophy lecture.

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    Well, mostly just that I need another tank like I need a hole in the head. ha ha Truth be told, I've been a bit bored with my tanks. Ideas for future projects include a west African pond, a Wyoming creek, and a Himilayan foothills stream palladium. And yes, a saltwater tidepool. I feel like just the past couple years I've really figured out how to do planted tanks, and I'm reluctant to take on a whole new type of ecosystem with saltwater. What with all my other time-consuming hobbies, I just don't have the time or energy right now.
    Well, the saltwater would scratch that boredom itch. I felt like I was in a similar place as what you're running into now, and switching to SW was a welcome explosion of renewed interest/obsession. It may seem a bit daunting because we all tend to remember the information overload we all experienced when entering into the FW hobby, when we were all new and killing fish and there were all these new concepts we had to understand. Switching to SW isn't like that. You're basically just expanding your vocabulary a bit. If someone already has the fundamentals of a planted tank down then making the jump to a reef tank isn't that much of a stretch.

In my experience, SW does, indeed, take more attention/work than FW, but it is worth it. Lots of us tend to downsize our FW stuff because we find ourselves devoted to the SW tank(s). I'm not saying FW is bland. I still find planted tanks absolutely beautiful in and of themselves. I'm just saying that if I were sitting in my living room and I have a school of cories cruising my FW tank and then I look over at my SW tank and see something similar to the video, below, I'm gonna roll my chair over to the SW tank to watch the crazy antics of its denizens:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh my word, that's funny. It really needs a voice over a'la BBC's Walk on the Wild Side videos.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I love how the other fish come by to see what all the excavating/relocating of the sand is about, and I agree the diamond goby is being a big jerk
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Well I've lost both gobies. At first I thought the first one got trapped under some rockwork or something as it disappeared about a week and a half or two weeks ago. The remaining gobie became very skittish and hid almost 100% of the time. I couldn't really figure out why one would go missing and the remaining would hide all the time afterwards. Well, I left the house yesterday morning and the remaining goby was out and about. Came home yesterday afternoon to this:

murderous emerald.jpg

It took me quite a while to wrench the corpse from the crab. He was holding on incredibly tight and I had to eventually give him a couple of whacks with my tweezers before he let go long enough for me to grab what was left of the fish from him.

I just wanted to share because when people hear "my emerald crab ate my fish" you always get a bunch of people insisting it is impossible as emeralds are herbivores. Well I've seen this guy go after and eat floating bits of mysis shrimp, and I have nice clear video from yesterday of him tearing open that goby and eating the meat it found inside.

As much as I like having him around to snip off any straggling bits of hair and bubble algae, him developing a taste for flesh and eating my fish is alarming and I am going to get rid of him before he decides the corals are easy pickings. Stupid opportunistic feeders....

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry you lost both your gobies! I've been thinking about getting an emerald crab, but definitely will not be getting one now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I don't want to scare you away from them. They are amazing for bubble and hair algae control. I've had three so far and this is the only one that turned murderous. The more I think about it, the more I believe mine turned to other sources of food because it wasn't finding enough to graze on. Back when the tank was full of corals and nems and stuff, I was running a sump and I did not worry about feeding the tank because the sump kept all my nutrients in check. Now that I'm going sump-less, I have been a lot more frugal with my feedings. The lack of an abundance of food spread throughout the tank as well as the lack of algae in any meaningful amounts most likely led to the crab looking for food from other sources.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Well I've lost both gobies. At first I thought the first one got trapped under some rockwork or something as it disappeared about a week and a half or two weeks ago. The remaining gobie became very skittish and hid almost 100% of the time. I couldn't really figure out why one would go missing and the remaining would hide all the time afterwards. Well, I left the house yesterday morning and the remaining goby was out and about. Came home yesterday afternoon to this:

murderous emerald.jpg

It took me quite a while to wrench the corpse from the crab. He was holding on incredibly tight and I had to eventually give him a couple of whacks with my tweezers before he let go long enough for me to grab what was left of the fish from him.

I just wanted to share because when people hear "my emerald crab ate my fish" you always get a bunch of people insisting it is impossible as emeralds are herbivores. Well I've seen this guy go after and eat floating bits of mysis shrimp, and I have nice clear video from yesterday of him tearing open that goby and eating the meat it found inside.

As much as I like having him around to snip off any straggling bits of hair and bubble algae, him developing a taste for flesh and eating my fish is alarming and I am going to get rid of him before he decides the corals are easy pickings. Stupid opportunistic feeders....
    Wow I am so very sorry to read you lost both your gobies to this glutton. I think getting him rehomed is a smart idea. I hope you add some more gobies once he is gone. How horrible, but you know have some experience to back up when other disagree about these crabs being omnivores when the need arises.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast