· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Well, look at this. Journal has not seen any life since last October. tsk tsk tsk That's pretty pitiful haha

Just got back from long vacation getting burned on the beach down in Bucerias, Mexico. Picked up a throat infection on the second day which put a damper on the mood a little bit but all the free alcohol provided by the resort helped numb the pain while the antibiotics did their magic haha

beach.jpg

I have officially taken the nano reef out of limbo. After about half a year, if not more, of not really doing anything with it after selling off all my flower nems and most of my corals, I went to one of my local reef shops yesterday and walked out with two new animals. Both of which I have been wanting to raise since I started the SW journey a couple years back.

One of them is a pom-pom crab. So far it is hanging out in the back where I can see it with my eyes clearly but unfortunately can't get a clear photo with my phone. Until a better photo opportunity presents itself, here is one that looks just like mine.

weNDUGz.gif

For those not familiar, those "pom poms" it is waving around are actually very small anemones that it holds in its claws. It uses them for defense and in turn it feeds them by mopping up yummies with them. A mutualistic relationship, just like a host anemone providing a safe haven to a clownfish in exchange for the food the clown will bring it, just on a much smaller scale.

And my second new animal is my very first bubble tip anemone. I had wanted one for the longest time so that I could have a home for Pennywise, but in a crowded reef tank it wasn't the best idea. Unlike flower nems which tend to keep to themselves and leave everyone alone, BTAs are more mobile and semi-aggressive, therefore carrying a greater risk for attacking surrounding animals. I took a peek into the dark tank this morning and was lucky enough to catch the little bugger sauntering over to my hammer and starting to tussle with one of the heads. The hammer wasn't glued to its rockwork so I was able to quickly pluck it from its spot and move it to the other side of the tank, far away from the new anemone. The BTA then moved right into the new vacant spot and appeared to settle in; establishing a solid hold on the rockwork with its foot and opening up a bit. I am excited to see if it decided to stay there because I couldn't really ask for a better location in terms of visibility.

Shortly after adding it to the tank last night, one of my sexy shrimp immediately went to work familiarizing itself with the new nem. In this photo, the nem is pulled in to itself so it isn't a good representation of how it will look once settled in and opened up, but it was the best shot I could manage right after adding it to the tank. Maybe tonight I can get something more impressive.

bta.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the new additions to your nano tank! If you're like me, you now need a vacation to recover from your vacation. lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    If you're like me, you now need a vacation to recover from your vacation. lol
    Yep. We flew back in Friday night and then spent the entire weekend just dozing in the living room with some movies playing in the background. We are used to a very mild and dry climate here in Albuquerque. The sun gets wicked hot around July but the air is so dry it doesn't really have any water in it to heat up. You can roast in the sunlight but then step into some shade and the temp drops dramatically. Where we were at the humidity was through the roof so it was like a heat we couldn't escape even in the shade and we weren't used to that. Really sapped our energy. We combated the heat with hours of swimming in the resort pools and the ocean, but we paid for it with some nasty sunburns.

The new anemone settled in quickly, as I hoped. It was opened up last night with some better tentacle extension than the previous day, plus it accepted about a half a cube's worth of thawed/soaked mysis shrimp.

bta2.jpg

I also took a peak this morning with the lights off and it was opened up even more and actually had some impressive tentacle extension. I am very pleased that it seems to be taking to its new home so quickly, as well as being much larger than I had originally thought. Tonight or tomorrow I will try some meatier krill.

Also took a cool photo of my duncans. Most duncans you see photos of are fairly dull coloring and their tentacles are short and stubby. Mine have great extension and some wicked stripped patterns. I snapped this pic while all the pumps were off during the anemone's feeding:

duncan1.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Little clip showing how I have the flow set up for the duncan:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice! I've got one of those on the wish list for my tank.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Little clip showing how I have the flow set up for the duncan:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Small update. Anemone seems to be doing great. Still waiting for it to fully extend its tentacles but other than that it seems fine. I soaked a whole krill in Selcon (liquid vitamin supp, for those not familiar) for about 20 mins last night and it gobbled it right up. Kind of surprising that it handled such a large meal without hesitation. I use the Hikari Bio-Pure frozen krill, which are very dense and meaty. I used to have to cut them up into smaller pieces to get even the largest of my flowers to accept them. This guy slurped up a whole one without a hiccup. Interesting and kind of fun to see it chow down on something so large. I want to feed it again tonight but will behave haha Maybe feed it again over the weekend and this time get it on video.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Nem still doing good, I believe. Eats everything I've offered so far and hasn't moved from its initial spot. Still not the greatest extension on the tentacles. Not sure if this is indicative of something amiss within the tank, but everything else appears fine and dandy. I need to find the rest of my test kits; for some reason I can't seem to find any of them except for my phosphate kit which is weird because I have like 4 other kits laying around here somewhere...

Ordered two new inhabitants, which are being shipped out tonight. Wheeler/Gorgeous shrimp gobies. It's hard finding gobies that stay small enough for a nano tank. I read in several places that you can have a pair or group of these guys in a tank so I'm hoping they get along with one another.

06d92d4cbc7e3deffd863c95a989ae09_1024.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish. - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    stunning man, well done

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, my dude. I'm fighting a serious urge to ramp up and completely restock the tank (I sold almost everything last fall in anticipation of moving after Xmas season but that never happened).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The gobies arrived safe and sound. Once again LiveAquaria has sent beautiful specimens in the safest and most well-packaged boxes out of everyone else I have ordered live animals from. Also haven't found many who honor 14-day "Stay Alive" guarantees. Most vendors wash their hands of you and the animal once it arrives in the mail. I still to this day have a bad taste in my mouth after a vendor burned me on a $100+ anemone order simply because it took the animals about 24hrs to kick the bucket even though their shipping bags were absolutely foul and the animals were already dying when they arrived. So far LiveAquaria and Vivid Aquariums are the only two vendors I have done business with that honor a 14-day money-back guarantee on livestock. I've never had to use the guarantee service, but it is nice to know it is there.

Also pulled the trigger on an SBreef light for the tank to replace my two cheap Hipargero lights. The Hipargero lights have worked great for me and I have grown all sorts of corals with them, but I've never been completely happy with their shimmer and spectrum in terms of aesthetics. The diodes are just too few and spaced out too far to blend the emitted light and as a result you get an unnerving shimmer that separates the white and blue light. With the cheap Hipargero you get only 9 diodes; three white, two blue, two royal blue, and a single violet, all put in three widespread clusters:

A029-LED-AQUARIUM-LIGHT.png

The 18" sBox that I ordered has 55 diodes, for comparison. This will create a much smoother blend of light across the tank and there are also some hints of reds, greens, and yellows to create just an overall more pleasing and complete spectrum.

sbox18.png

Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast