· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    Your tank is looking great. I love all the movement from the corals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I'm sorry if this brings up any bad memories. Your statement above has me curious. What happened? I looked around at your threads (you have a lot of threads!) but could not determine which tells about this event.
    I recall this tank. It was indeed quite lovely. I was under the impression that it was still up and running. However, my memory doesn't really serve like it used to.
    No worries, your memory did not fail you. I did not care to post up what had happened. I was pretty distraught about it at the time and since then I've kind of pushed the memory away haha

My son had accidentally knocked in a pair of my aquascaping scissors into the tank one evening when he was playing fetch with our dog Sophie. The ball hit the top of the tank and knocked a couple of things askew. I did not see the scissors fall in the tank, and they fell into the back behind the huge rotala forest you see on the left side of the signature pic so they were completely hidden. Several weeks went by and suddenly my crystal shrimp started to die off and I couldn't figure out why. I was always very meticulous with the tank, I used pure RODI water and all my remineralizers and fertilizers were measured out and added at very specific doses. I tested the tank with every kit I had, trying to figure out why the shrimp were suddenly dying off at alarming rates, but nothing out of the ordinary was showing up. After losing almost all of the animals, I finally stumbled upon the scissors, which were tangled up in the stems and roots of the plants. I believe that the scissors just started to leach bad stuff into the water over the weeks and the shrimp succumbed to metal toxicity. It is the only explanation that works. I removed what animals were left and added them to my 90gal, then stripped down and completely cleaned out the tank. It is now the reef tank shown above.

My experience with that tank almost drove me from the hobby as I had put a lot of time and money into the setup and animals. If it weren't for my saltwater obsession, I may not have made any attempt to keep going. I don't really have any desire to set up any more freshwater tanks in the foreseeable future. If you were to talk to my wife, she'd tell you that I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to even keep my 90gal community tank for months now. Really the only thing that is keeping me from tearing it down is that I really care for my black ghost knifefish and I'm not too keen on the idea of entrusting his care with someone else.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    If I were to make the move and tear it down, I would want to replace it with a long shallow reef in something like a 40long.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Ugh. I'm so sorry you went through that, but am glad that you are staying in the hobby and moving forward.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    No worries, your memory did not fail you. I did not care to post up what had happened. I was pretty distraught about it at the time and since then I've kind of pushed the memory away haha

My son had accidentally knocked in a pair of my aquascaping scissors into the tank one evening when he was playing fetch with our dog Sophie. The ball hit the top of the tank and knocked a couple of things askew. I did not see the scissors fall in the tank, and they fell into the back behind the huge rotala forest you see on the left side of the signature pic so they were completely hidden. Several weeks went by and suddenly my crystal shrimp started to die off and I couldn't figure out why. I was always very meticulous with the tank, I used pure RODI water and all my remineralizers and fertilizers were measured out and added at very specific doses. I tested the tank with every kit I had, trying to figure out why the shrimp were suddenly dying off at alarming rates, but nothing out of the ordinary was showing up. After losing almost all of the animals, I finally stumbled upon the scissors, which were tangled up in the stems and roots of the plants. I believe that the scissors just started to leach bad stuff into the water over the weeks and the shrimp succumbed to metal toxicity. It is the only explanation that works. I removed what animals were left and added them to my 90gal, then stripped down and completely cleaned out the tank. It is now the reef tank shown above.

My experience with that tank almost drove me from the hobby as I had put a lot of time and money into the setup and animals. If it weren't for my saltwater obsession, I may not have made any attempt to keep going. I don't really have any desire to set up any more freshwater tanks in the foreseeable future. If you were to talk to my wife, she'd tell you that I've been going back and forth on whether or not I want to even keep my 90gal community tank for months now. Really the only thing that is keeping me from tearing it down is that I really care for my black ghost knifefish and I'm not too keen on the idea of entrusting his care with someone else.

I’m still not sure what it is about saltwater that does it. I feel the same way about my 180. If it wasn’t for my wife’s parrot fish I would probably have emptied it and started the conversion already. Although I think we are going fish only on that one so she can have a puffer and I can have a big angel of some kind.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    André, I am so sorry that you went through that. Thank you for the telling. Perhaps your experience will help another member.

For the record, your black knifefish is awesome!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    I think the story had a silver lining because he picked up on reefing and exceling at it.

Just need to deal with those wonderful vermetid snails, lol.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Lol @Spardas you wanna lend me some wrasses to help with them haha

Goodies for the tank arrived early! Looks like Boo will be getting a nice full belly this afternoon!

A8A588DC-FC58-462B-A939-B4B618DBEC78.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Very nice! That's something I have relaxed on doing, stocking my tank with pods and phyto.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The Nano Brine packages were promotional freebies, which is nice.

First time ordering from Algae Barn. Pleased with the transaction. Same-day order fulfillment and fast free delivery. I can see the shrimp and pods swimming around in the water; very active.

An added little bit of “extra” that I wasn’t expecting is that each product is marked with the water’s salinity. I think that is actually pretty neat. I wish all online vendors included such information as I’m usually on the phone or sending emails requesting info for acclimation purposes.

Page 33 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast