· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    He is my favorite, as well, which is why I'm so insistent on trying to keep one despite their known difficulties.

Not easily seen in the photos are the iridescent blue spots on his pelvic fin. These are quite striking in person but I have not really been able to catch them on camera. Those of you who are interested can do a google search for "signal goby" and you'll be able to see them quite clearly on some of the results that pop up.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Interesting bit of side information...

Goby pelvic fins are actually fused together to form a single cupped fin that behaves a bit like a suction cup to aid in keeping the fish anchored to the substrate.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to see the new guy is doing good.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. That he's starting to get settled in. I love the photo. I thought about submitting it for the POTM but I wanted to use it for my avatar and gallery upload and POTM submissions can't be used elsewhere on the forum.

Some goodies are arriving today. The Selcon vitamin soak I ordered last week, as well as the Fiji Pink sand and some Stability. I've been wanting to add some finer sand to the tank to make it deeper, easier to burrow in, and easier to sift for the goby. I was a bit concerned about the new sand experiencing some die-off after being added to the tank, so I grabbed a bottle of Stability to help in case things try to go sideways. I will be doing a water change this afternoon and will rinse the new sand in the old tank water before adding it to the tank.
    The seachem stability??

Since adding the 6 chromis it's been a small cycle. Not something massive daily eater changes with nsw. Would a bottle of stability possibly aid the bacteria build up faster??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @mac

Yeah, Seachem Stability. This is the first time I've used it, but I've used Brightwell Aquatic's Microbacter7 in the past with good results and it is essentially the same thing. Another popular option is Dr. Tim's One & Only.

Go ahead and pick some up and it should help with your mini cycle.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Boof, you can probably change your signature picture as well to the reef tank.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had a lot of fun with that tank before the catastrophe haha Having it in my signature helps me remember it in a good light

Added a bit of the new sand last night. Had quite a bit of cloudiness even pre-rinsing and using a tube to add it directly down to the substrate. Couldn't see much this morning as the lights were off, but it looks like most of the haze has dissipated.

One thing I didn't think my way through was how the new sand would impact the pod/invert availability. I had a pretty good population of pods going but I'm sure the new sand is spreading them out thinly and going to make it a tad more difficult for the goby to find critters to eat. I refrained from adding a whole lot of new sand for this reason. I have an order of several thousand copepods and live phytoplankton en route to me that should be arriving by Friday. Also included is a free promotional jar of live artemia. Should help bolster the available live invert population for the goby to really feast on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Clip of the tank that I shot over the weekend. This is before the extra sand was added.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    Soooo very pretty!
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I had a lot of fun with that tank before the catastrophe haha Having it in my signature helps me remember it in a good light
    I'm sorry if this brings up any bad memories. Your statement above has me curious. What happened? I looked around at your threads (you have a lot of threads!) but could not determine which tells about this event.
    I recall this tank. It was indeed quite lovely. I was under the impression that it was still up and running. However, my memory doesn't really serve like it used to.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast