· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    @Spardas I see the different amount of shades you see. I can wager a guess as to where each of those colors are, orange for feelers, blues and black bands for legs, green pincers with white tips, blue eye stalks.

I see blues perfectly, which is why it is my favorite color. I can see all the shades of blue in nature as long as they don't have reds or greens mixed in with them. I can also see yellow, but it isn't pleasing to my eyes like blue is. Anything that uses green or red is a crap shoot. I think I know what basic red looks like, but reds and greens get mixed up depending on their shade, and green to me looks like a dirty yellow.

Here is a comparison of how different types of colorblind people see the world. I'm a deut, so the upper right image is how I see things. I can't see any difference between the two top images.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_different-types-color-blindness.jpg

Interesting story, but I tried those Enchroma glasses about a year and a half ago. I didn't have one of those emotional earth-shattering experiences that the shills on the YouTube vids claim to have, but it was interesting. I put them on and saw nothing different. I was heartbroken. I sat there with my wife as she had dumped a bucket of Ayden's toys on the floor because of all the colors. She kept pulling out certain cars and stuff, asking if they looked different. No, no, no...no. All looked as bland as usual. Then something slapped my attention. There was a kid's show on the tv across the room, and this gaudy SUPER BRIGHT color slammed me right in the eyes. Pink. Hot pink. One of the characters on the show was a hot pink talking plane and my jaw hit the floor. Pink looks like gray to me, so I was not prepared for what I saw on the tv. The next color that grabbed my attention was purple. If my eyes worked correctly, purple would be my favorite. It spoke to me, which is weird because colors never had any kind of feelings or emotions to them. I carried around a purple bouncy ball for days and would stare at it for a minute at a time.

Green stayed the same. Dull, dirty yellow. Red stayed the same, as well, but I could suddenly differentiate it from other colors that it normally blended in with. I remember sitting in my car during lunch break and I noticed a red coca cola can stuck in a bush across the parking lot. I could see the reds in my mahogany desk in the office. I was blown away by the fact that the Target next to my office was half red and half brown. Never noticed the red side if the building until I was wearing the glasses.

And that's pretty much the extent of my experience with somewhat normal vision. The makers argued that I ordered the wrong lens type and that's why I didn't see the amazing burst of color around me, but it is what it is. We needed the money and the glasses were a minor luxury so I returned them before the trial period expired. What's cool is I can still visualize how pink, purple, and lavender looked, even though I don't have the glasses anymore. That kind of thing stuck with me.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    André, I'm really glad to hear that the tool of those glasses gave your mind a lasting gift.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    After spending hours and hours yesterday looking up, researching, and picking Spardas' brain, these are my current faves for how this tank will probably be stocked. All this can change over the course of the next couple of week or month as I learn about more species, but after overloading my brain last night, these are the ones that stand out the most for a nano tank.

Purple Firefish

purple-firefish-from-wiki.jpg

Ocellaris clownfish
    Picked because my wife and son love them. They are the smaller and least aggressive of the clownfish.

Ocellaris-Clownfish-600x600.jpg

Catalina goby
    Considered an "expert" fish, but I feel confident in my skills to meet its needs.

Catalina-Goby-1.jpg

Pistol shrimp
    Spardas showed me how pistol shrimp form a symbiotic relationship with gobies and the two will live together in the goby hole. Super cute.

alpheus_randalli__93467.1446148123.380.380.jpg

And the blue-legged hermit already posted above.

This next fellow has been an obsession with me all evening/night long since I stumbled upon it. I still want to do some research and make sure I'm not over-stocked, but my initial research has stated that this little critter does fine in small nano tanks that have peaceful inhabitants. Like the goby/pistol shrimp combo, this is another symbiotic relationship. Behold, the Pom Pom Crab, also known as the cheerleader or boxer crab:

pompom.jpg

This amazing creature is a crab that holds on to two anemones with its claws. It uses the anemones for defense against aggressors, as well as to mop up food off the substrate and rocks. I have watched some amazing videos of these critters, like how they will steal nems (anenomes) from other pom pom crabs if they lose their own, or how they will take one nem and divide it into two so they have one for each hand. One of the vids I watched claimed that this crab is the only creature known to purposefully divide and force another creature into asexual reproduction. I don't know how accurate that is, but the act of them splitting nems is fascinating.

Here is one trying out for cheerleading squad:

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    That is very neat to see.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I've also been considering a porcelain crab. After discussing it a bit with Spardas, this guy would be much less shy and out in the open more than the pom pom crab. It's a filter-feeder, like the bamboo and vampire shrimp some of us keep in our freshwater tanks :)

porcelain_crab_feeding.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Out in the open more = good.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Not a real fan of crabs, but that pom pom crab is pretty unique and entertaining.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    So here we are a week later. Tank and all the gear arrived. Tank is going through a leak test. Very fancy tank. Rimless, light is nice and bright, all the filtration is internal. Display part is 12 gallons with a 1.5 gallon overflow/filtration section. The heater fits nicely in the overflow, so the only equipment you see in the tank are the outflows for the pump.

Will post vids once the leak test is done and I have my saltwater mixed and the sand in the tank. Will be swinging by my local reef store in the next day or two to pick through their live rock and get my electric blue hermit :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    MTS in full swing.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Healing vibes.  Read and rest your fingers! - RiversGirl   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! (USA) - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Once MTS has started there is no stopping it.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast