· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

Default Angel Fish Tank Set Up

1 Not allowed!
    I didn't get any replies on this post from the "Tank Setup" section so I figured I would post it on the "General Aquarium Forum.
    Here is a picture of my new set up for Angel Fish I want to add to the tank in the near future...... please give me feedback you may have. Does the set up look good for Angel Fish? What recommended changes do you have?

Angel FIsh Set up.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Looks nice, I like the colors. I have sand only, so I kind of miss all the color possibilities of gravel. If I had to add anything I would say a solid backdrop and maybe some plants on the left around that cool log decoration. Are those green plants on the right real?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariss View Post
    Looks nice, I like the colors. I have sand only, so I kind of miss all the color possibilities of gravel. If I had to add anything I would say a solid backdrop and maybe some plants on the left around that cool log decoration. Are those green plants on the right real?
    Yeah, the plants on the right are real plants. They are the first time I have ever used live plants in the tank and just added them 2 days ago. I also added seachem flourish tabs around the plants since I do have a gravel substrate. I appreciate the feedback and I was thinking about going up to the LPS and maybe buying 1 or 2 more live plants to add to the tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Hi there! You've been putting a lot of thought into your new fish, that's nice to see. I think your tank looks fantastic for angelfish :) This is a 55g correct? The height is nice for angels. The tall plants for shelter or territory is great, the decoration on the left might allow for a territory division as well. Perhaps a few tall plants around or intertwined in the decoration might add a bit more division, but just a suggestion that might come in handy later on if the angels get fiesty at any point. The angels will really appreciate the live Amazon swords Best of luck bringing your new angels home :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Hi there! You've been putting a lot of thought into your new fish, that's nice to see. I think your tank looks fantastic for angelfish :) This is a 55g correct? The height is nice for angels. The tall plants for shelter or territory is great, the decoration on the left might allow for a territory division as well. Perhaps a few tall plants around or intertwined in the decoration might add a bit more division, but just a suggestion that might come in handy later on if the angels get fiesty at any point. The angels will really appreciate the live Amazon swords Best of luck bringing your new angels home :)
    Thank you very much. I have been doing a lot of research and just want to create the best environment possible for all of the fish. I wan to leave the middle of the tank wide open but I agree with the left side of the tank. I am thinking of going up to the LFS and getting myself a couple more amazon swords to add around the decoration.... what do you think of that idea?
    And yes, it is a 55G tank

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    The thing about amazon swords is that, if given a healthy place to grow, they'll get big. I always start my 'scapes with more plants than I plan on ending up with, then remove the ones that aren't thriving. My guess is that if you put a couple more swords in this tank, they'll end up crowding each other, and you'll have to trim them back and/or remove some. But I'm OK with that if you are. :) And the fish certainly won't mind the extra greenery in the mean time!

As for the fish, tank-raised angels are sort of a unique species, and they are very adaptable to different setups. As AC said above, as long as they have clean water and places to get out of sight in the event of a fight, they seem to be pretty OK with whatever.

Good luck! Tom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

3 Not allowed!
    I've always wondered whether plants were the norm for angelfish in the wild, and how much sight lines were obstructed. I think angel aggression is best managed in sheer numbers versus providing places to hide.

http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/inte...008-biotope-2/

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....hemed-aquarium

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Those are very cool vids, Rocksor. I especially like the second one. It is always so cool to see critters in the wild. That Nanay biotope is beautiful, too, and almost plant-free! Given their wide range, I would guess scalare probably occupy a lot of different habitat types. But I'm just guessing. A lot of the written sources say they live in densely vegetated water, but maybe they're just guessing too. The natural/domesticated history of scalare seems rather convoluted and uncertain. Either way, I suspect you're right that numbers and space are the main remedies against aggression in the wild. Why hide behind a piece of driftwood or a plant when I can just swim to another part of the river?

I think the broken sight lines do become an issue in a tank, especially a smaller one. My angels are in a 30g, so I'm limited to a pair. I started out with six young ones in there. As they started to grow toward adolescence, there were a couple smaller ones that were always being picked on by the others. I always figured I wouldn't want to keep more than three or four in a 55g, but the link you shared proves that it's possible. I'm no angel expert; it just seems like a lot in a smallish space, to me. I wonder how they're doing long-term.

Interesting, interesting.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I've never tried keeping more than a breeding pair in a smaller tank 30g+ personally, and I've had my battles as a newbie keeping two angels that weren't compatible in a smaller tank. I definitely think in order to pull off keeping a large school of angels, a large tank (75gs) would be necessary. I'm not sure how well adding a bunch of my angels to a 3ft tank would go.....I added 6 sub-adults temporarily once and it was pretty full. But for larger wider tanks, angelfish are schooling fish and act completely different in larger schools. Interesting for sure.

Live plants are not necessary, (my angels just love to use them as a breeding sure) but nice tall breaks in sight can work to create territories. I successfully created 3 territories using plants in my 90g, and had 3 breeding pairs of angels who respected the plant walls, even when breeding! I made a video somewhere about it.

That being said, I currently have a pair of angels in my 120g who will not spawn if there's more than 5 angels in the tank. At the same time, the larger school (8) acts completely differently which is nice to observe and I wouldn't hesitate to add more.

But this brings up a good point for your 55g. What size/how old are the angels you plan to add? Your chances of a pair forming are pretty high, and once one forms, the odd angel out will need a little territory retreat. Maybe buying 4 or 5 angels could be a consideration?

The regular advice is to purchase 6 young nice specimen angels and let them grow up together. If things get chippy or the aquarist is specifically looking for a breeding pair, some angels might have to be rehomed as they mature and personalities emerge.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-14-2017 at 03:50 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger
    That Nanay biotope is beautiful, too, and almost plant-free!
    Agreed. That tank was beautiful, I'd love to be able to watch that all day and that person did an amazing job at decorating (looks like it was DIY'd) and setting up the tank. One thing I noticed was the twigs dipping into the tank. I feel the angels use these more than we might think for divisions/retreat. Even floating plants with long roots help with divisions as I've noticed myself recently.

I also really enjoyed the second vid, that was amazing to see.
    -Kat