· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Fry and WC's

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   For you! Thanks! - Northernguy   Here's a fish for you that no idiot can kill no matter what you say !! - SkinnyChicken   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   This should help make you feel better! lol - Northernguy   

Default Fry and WC's

0 Not allowed!
    Hey folks. I have a cloud of kribensis fry and their ultra-protective parents in a 2 year old semi-planted tank. Said fry have been free swimming for 3 or 4 days now and no longer have a yolk sack that I can see. I need to do a WC but I don't want to spook the parents to the point that they eat the babies. Should I just siphon off the top and never mind the gravel? My test results are fine with nitrates in an acceptable range. Perhaps I should just top of the tank and give them another week?
    "It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."
    - Albert Camus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Congrats on the babies! Keep doing your water changes, the parents are used to that. Don't bother with the substrate, and keep your siphon at the other end of the tank, (the parents usually keep the babies together at the opposite end anyway). The mama flashes her purple belly and all the fry fall motionless to the substrate beneath her. You can wrap some netting around your siphon just to make sure no babies get too curious. Just work on one side of the tank.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-10-2017 at 07:47 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    The mama flashes her purple belly and all the fry fall motionless to the substrate beneath her
    I wish that worked with human children rofl

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pariss View Post
    I wish that worked with human children rofl
    Me too! Would be great when hunting lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   For you! Thanks! - Northernguy   Here's a fish for you that no idiot can kill no matter what you say !! - SkinnyChicken   Happy Birthday - Northernguy   This should help make you feel better! lol - Northernguy   

2 Not allowed!
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. My angel fish eat their babies all the time so I want to not have that happen with the kribs. They are so fascinating to watch, especially how they move their babies about on the bottom, into and out of plants and each night at lights out, they somehow wrangle them all back under the driftwood where they were born. I always wondered how she makes them stop in the blink of an eye. I'll have to watch her belly more closely. When the male comes to babysit they pretty much ignore him. If I look closely, the babies are sort of spotted...quite strange in how they look nothing like the parents yet.
    "It is better to die on one's feet than to live on one's knees."
    - Albert Camus

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    They're still quite young, that's why they are spotted. They'll start to look like the patents within a month, they are fast growers for a dwarf cichlid. Kribs are even more prolific breeders than angelfish, so don't be so nervous about it, I'm sure they'll be fine. Kribs are great parents even from the very start IME.

It's absolutely fascinating to watch kribs breed, I'm happy you have a chance to observe it! Watch the female's belly, my mama krib would twitch her belly when I approached the tank, every time, the babies would disappear into my gravel. They parents take care of the babies very well, and they always had a great success rate, almost too much lol!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat