· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   With biomedia, the more the merrier! - Slaphppy7   

Default Opinions on new lighting

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 65 gal planted tank. I currently have a finnex stingray 36”and a currentusa satélite plus pro 24-36. I have procrastinated for a little while now but I need to replace the satellite, since upgrading from a 37gal to the 65gal, the fixture just doesn’t have the coverage, the brackets are pulled all the way but the lighting is about a good 4” or so on both sides short and I think between the finnex coverage and the low coverage from the satellite it’s keeping my plants on the sides alive, but only just...not really flourishing. So basically I wanted to ask opinions on a good replacement for my tank, I want one with a timer preferably with ramping up and down to moonlighting, I could just get a bigger satellite plus pro but maybe there is something better out there or something with a better price. Thanks for your help.
    65 Gallon Planted Community: Turquoise Rainbow: 1 Bosemani Rainbow: 1 Kuhli Loach: 6 Rummynose Tetra: 7 Pleaco: 1 Clown Pleaco: 1 Diamond Tetra: 1. Paleatus Cory: 3
    Veil Angel: 1 Clown Loach: 1 Royal Red Doscus: 1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I can't promise they last forever because I haven't owned them for years, but I have 5 planted tanks so the price matters to me. I have been using Aquaneat lights from ebay, shipped out of Wisconsin. They have much better specs than most of the other inexpensive lights you commonly see on the auction site. They are attractive as well as inexpensive. I use RGB-White versions but they also sell White-Blue versions. They grow plants to the top of my 60G and 20T tanks without a problem. I'd call them "medium" light in all but the tallest tanks. If I had to complain about something it would be the rocker style oin/off switch. Seems a littlle light duty and I am going to put all the lights on timers or power strips so the switch will last longer, hopefully years.

Chihiros lights are a step up for a little more money but I couldn't find them in 48" other than a long Hong Kong ship. This light is adjustable and actually needs to be turned down in most tanks. A friend of mine with well over 10 planted tanks uses a lot of them and highly recommends the Chihiros. They are brighter than lights that cost MUCH more money.
    Last edited by OnTheFly; 11-08-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    I use Fluval 2.0 plant lights and I'm very happy with the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    2nd vote for Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

have a pressie :-) - mitcore   Something he doesn't have - Lady Hobbs   Merry Christmas - Lady Hobbs   Donuts are yummy! - AquaBison   Merry Christmas to you as well. - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

2 Not allowed!
    If you are trying to be budget conscious and want the ramping feature you can get the 48-60 inch Satellite Plus Pro model, you can get a refurb that's basically brand new through Current on their eBay store for around $100 less than retail. Their account is "currentusa"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   With biomedia, the more the merrier! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your help.....fissh beautiful tank, definitely my tank goal. I thought the fluval didn’t have a timer or programmable day/night. AAbatteries, I have thought of doing that, I just wanted to see if there was anything better or different that I didn’t know about before I just replace with the same. This is my tank currently:
    6F9F0E6E-EF4C-4C44-B0D9-8BE78C0922A7.jpg
    07CD4C7A-E029-444F-854B-3656CBC304D6.jpg
    65 Gallon Planted Community: Turquoise Rainbow: 1 Bosemani Rainbow: 1 Kuhli Loach: 6 Rummynose Tetra: 7 Pleaco: 1 Clown Pleaco: 1 Diamond Tetra: 1. Paleatus Cory: 3
    Veil Angel: 1 Clown Loach: 1 Royal Red Doscus: 1