· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

Question Fluval Eco Bright LED Light, Question

0 Not allowed!
    I am considering purchasing the Fluval Eco-Bright LED Lighting system and I am curious from anyone that may have these lights or are familiar with them, I have a canopy for my tank, can that canopy still go on top of the tank with these lights? Also I currently have two fish tank lids, I am assuming that I just remove the lids from the tank completely and use these lights with no lids? I will attach a picture that is very similar to current fish tank with canopy. Thanks all

1c66303cef83bd0dab0dc34f3a3b97fb.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Rather than completely removing lids entirely it will be worth changing them out for glass. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to find. If you have a larger tank (55 and up) you'll want to buy two lids one for each side of the brace and may need to have a local glass shop trim a tiny bit off (I've done this several times and never been charged by any glass shop). Without lids you may see damage to the canopy due to evaporation from the tank. Just a suggestion.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    Rather than completely removing lids entirely it will be worth changing them out for glass. They are pretty inexpensive and easy to find. If you have a larger tank (55 and up) you'll want to buy two lids one for each side of the brace and may need to have a local glass shop trim a tiny bit off (I've done this several times and never been charged by any glass shop). Without lids you may see damage to the canopy due to evaporation from the tank. Just a suggestion.
    Thank you for that information, I have the standard 55 gallon aquarium that has a two piece black hood with it. What size would each of those two sections be? would it be 23"x9 5/8" for each section?

Also, I currently have the black hoods, will that work with the Eco-Bright LED Light? If it will I will just use the hoods that I have
    Last edited by mbyost13; 11-06-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyost13 View Post
    Thank you for that information, I have the standard 55 gallon aquarium that has a two piece black hood with it. What size would each of those two sections be? would it be 23"x9 5/8" for each section?

Also, I currently have the black hoods, will that work with the Eco-Bright LED Light? If it will I will just use the hoods that I have
    For a 55 I use lids for a standard 20 gallon (24") and have a glass shop trim 1/2" off, the lids have always fit inside the trim cut as such.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what kind of black hoods you have... No, lights don't shine through black hoods well at all lol just get a 48" light that spans the entire length of the tank. :)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    For a 55 I use lids for a standard 20 gallon (24") and have a glass shop trim 1/2" off, the lids have always fit inside the trim cut as such.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what kind of black hoods you have... No, lights don't shine through black hoods well at all lol just get a 48" light that spans the entire length of the tank. :)

15921106c.jpg
    I have two of these right now, they have the glass piece for the lighting...... if these will work with the LED light, I will just use what I currently have

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    With that setup, light will go through yes. I'm not an expert by any means but you'll have some light that probably won't make it, how much would depend on exactly how you set it up. I imagine if you don't install the lights into the canopy and position them on the rim above the glass you'd probably have pretty good luck with the majority of it making it to the tank. I'd probably at least try it out and see how you like it before buying the glass. You can always change it later. :)