· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    fake plants are fine
    Thank you for the information, what about PH? can they adapt to a slightly higher PH? I am getting consistent readings of 7.8

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyost13 View Post
    Thank you for the information, what about PH? can they adapt to a slightly higher PH? I am getting consistent readings of 7.8
    the ones from petco will be fine in that PH.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Fake plants are fine. I started out with nothing but fake plants and gradually introduced live ones. You might later try some simple living plants such as java ferns, anubias, maybe a marimo moss ball or two. Or some floating plants like Elodea, Anacharis, Hornwort. Live plants provide natural filtration and help keep nitrates in check, along with regular tank maintenance. They can also be quite attractive. The ones I've named require very little or no fertilization, and can tolerate lower light. Should you decide on java ferns and/or anubias, there is one thing you'll need to know: They have rhizomes that should never be buried into the substrate. They can be tied to rocks or driftwood with invisible fishing line, where they will send roots down into the substrate. Or, you can do what I've done with the leftover weighted bases that come with some brands of fake plants. These bases often have holes in them where the fake plant was attached. If I want a rhizome plant to stay parked on the substrate without burying its rhizome, I work its roots (carefully) through the holes in the base and rest the base on the substrate. This works best with the heavier weighted bases. The live plant stays put, its roots grow into the substrate, and the rhizome stays on top of the base.

That's for the future, but something to think about. Right now, while you are still dealing with the basics of fishkeeping, the artificials will do.
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.