· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

Question Recently made a big mistake with my fish tank, dont want to make it again

0 Not allowed!
    So as a lot may know, I had goldfish for 4 years or so and recently had switched over to warm water fish (freshwater). I didn't know exactly what I was doing and with me being impatient, I bought fish and put them in the aquarium. I was dumb and didn't read up on fish keeping first, not really thinking their would be so many fine details to keeping healthy fish. I was not testing my water, I was doing weekly water changes of 50 plus percent, I was cleaning my aquarium decoration under hot running well water, I was cleaning out my filter under hot running well water. Thanks to everyone here, I now know about Beneficial bacteria and how to go about keeping it in the tank, cleaning decorations once a month with fish tank water, not over feeding the fish, cleaning food off the substrate at the bottom of the tank, weekly water testing for Ammonia, Nitrites, NItrates, and PH Level, small water changes weekly, not cleaning media and so on.
    Now to the bad news, because I was dumb about it the first time, I was adding a bunch of fish once a week, getting up to 20+ fish in the tank. I had a crazy amount of Nitrates which caused a major Ich disease in my tank. I tried to treat it but lost all of my fish but 4 Danios and 6 Albino Cats. The Ich is cleared up now.

so here are my questions:

1. I switched over to a Fluval 406 Canister and did water testing last night, PH was 7.8, Ammonia was .25 (I added Prime to the water), Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20. The filter has only been running in the tank for 2 days now so should I continue to do water testing daily to check parameters of the water and do WC when Nitrates start to increase?

2. So I don't make the same mistake again, when is it safe to start adding fish?

3. How many fish should I add at one time to be extra safe and how long should I wait between adding fish?

4. What is a safe amount of fish to have in a 55G Aquarium?

5. With the current fish I have, can I add Cichlids to the tank? (I wish I would have had a Cichlid tank right off the bat. I ask because the Danios swim at the top of the tank and are super fast, would I be able to put mid level cichlids in the tank?)

6. And last but not least, I get my fish from the LFS (Petco), what should I be looking for when getting my fish as far as trying to get healthy fish?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm assuming this is a new filter with new, uncycled media - let us know if this in incorrect. You need a source of ammonia for the beneficial bacteria to begin to grow. Many people use pure ammonia for this purpose and do a "fishless" cycle. You'll want to read these two stickies:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

and

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=125481

At the bottom of this link there is a calculator for determining the amount of ammonia to add - http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueD View Post
    I'm assuming this is a new filter with new, uncycled media - let us know if this in incorrect. You need a source of ammonia for the beneficial bacteria to begin to grow. Many people use pure ammonia for this purpose and do a "fishless" cycle. You'll want to read these two stickies:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

and

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=125481

At the bottom of this link there is a calculator for determining the amount of ammonia to add - http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
    Yes, this is a new filter with new media..... I tested my water today and Parameters are still looking good. I am watching everything closely to make sure nothing gets way out of line

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    the old filter is still on the tank right? And you have the 4 danios and 6 cories in the 55 g?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    the old filter is still on the tank right? And you have the 4 danios and 6 cories in the 55 g?
    Yes and Yes

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    you have a really big tank with a small amount of tiny fish. You can increase your zebra danio school to about a total 12-16 and monitor the tank for one week, testing ammonia and nitrites everyday. Plan to do at least a 25% water change by the end of the week if ammonia and nitrites stay the same. If ammonia and nitrites reaches 0.5ppm anytime during your testing, do a 50 % water change.

These are not giant danios are they?
    Last edited by Rocksor; 11-05-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    It's good that you still have the old filter on the tank with the cycled media. That will give the beneficial bacteria time to grow on the new media in your new filter without interrupting your current cycle. You could also have switched over your cycled media into the new filter, and simply added it to the new media, if there is room for both. Then you could remove the old filter and still have your cycle, IF your tank has already cycled. If it's still in the process of cycling, then having both filters running at the same time is probably the best way to go. Then you can add the old media after the new media has grown its crop of bacteria, and quickly increase your bio-filtration. You will need the extra bio-filtration when you add more fish.

Adding fish should be done gradually, just a few at a time spread out over several weeks or months. Don't dump a whole bunch in at once, or you'll overwhelm your filtration, and it will have to catch up.

As to adding cichlids, be careful. Some species can be quite aggressive. Do you want new world cichlids (South American), or old world cichlids (African)? I would suggest reading up on all the different species, then deciding which ones would best suit your tank with its current inhabitants. I'm not sure if species from both continents can be mixed, as they may have separate and substantially different requirements. I don't keep cichlids, so you'll have to research that for yourself.
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyost13 View Post
    Yes and Yes
    Oh...I thought this was empty of all fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    you have a really big tank with a small amount of tiny fish. You can increase your zebra danio school to about a total 12-16 and monitor the tank for one week, testing ammonia and nitrites everyday. Plan to do at least a 25% water change by the end of the week if ammonia and nitrites stay the same. If ammonia and nitrites reaches 0.5ppm anytime during your testing, do a 50 % water change.

These are not giant danios are they?
    Yes they are Giant Danios, I think max size for them is around 4 inches. They are all around 3 Inches right now

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyost13 View Post
    Yes they are Giant Danios, I think max size for them is around 4 inches. They are all around 3 Inches right now
    I would add another 4-6 giant danios to round out the school to 8-10 total for the first week.