· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Day 3 of GBRs and they laid eggs!?!?!

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so title sums it up. I went to a couple LFS tonight to get some new tank decorations by a local artist and when I got home I had a tired looking female GBR and a hundred or more tiny white specks beside their cave. Im in the process of getting the ph down to 6.5-6.0. Do I keep dropping the ph or just keep it and the temp at their current values. I also got 7 harliques Rasbora. Do I add them in like normal or do I need to wait until the eggs hatch?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    Why are you trying to lower the ph?...a stable ph is better than one that fluctuates
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so after much discussion with the one who is actually in charge we are going to hope for the best but let nature take its. Course and be happy we have a breeding pair. Next question one of the local fish places has a trio of red flame Apistos. They are smallish maby an inch for the male and 5/8 per female. They are 60 for the 3. I have caves on opposite ends in f the tank and am looking at anoth chunk of drift wood to act as a Masson Dixon line. Would the 2 groups be able to coexist? I have 7 small pork chop Rasbora and 1 male paradise fish till the 14th when he goes to my gf cousins new tank. Also planning on 5 pigmey coradoras or the other small city cats I forget the name. So at 60 bucks I don’t wanna flip a coin so anyone with knowledge or experience would be appreciated.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you posted as I was typing. The Apistos are wild caught and I was told they need around 5.5 so Im hoping 6 ish will keep them happy and from what I can tell the GBR eggs will have a better chance in a more acadic tank. Id love to stay at 7 as neutral regulator is way easier than a acid alkaline combo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    You have to keep in mind the ph requirements of ALL of the fish in your tank, that's where research for compatibility for the fish you want to keep comes into play.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Am I missing something the rams and possibly future Apistos like it around 6 and from what I gather the Rasbora can tolerate that as well. I was at 7 because I was not planning on trying to breed the rams for months and with them being captive bred 7 was what the store had them at and same for the Rasbora. My issue is I have extremely soft water so trying to drop ph and raise kh is a pain when for what ever reason my tap water is high 7’s when everything I read says it should be much lower for that Kh

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I would not mess with the ph of your tank, especially if the LFS' water and your tap water are similar.

If you lower the ph in your tank from what your tap reads, then every WC you may have ph fluctuations significant enough to harm your fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The lfs has very hard water with little cloramines. I have very soft water Kh of .5-1 Gh of 170’s ppm PH around 7.6 to 8 comes out high and settles over a day. Once I figure out the right ratio to add to my wc buckets I’m confident they will be consistent I have a nice digital scale that reads out to .001 so I have been keeping track of what I add and the results but I’m finding the drops and test kits very innacurate because of my inability to judge color. Some electric meters are in order

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't bother with your pH then using any chemicals alterations like Seachems stuff

What I would use is something more natural like peat or my personal favorite oak leaves this will release acids lowering the pH over a course of time and also will add anti fungal and bacterial properties via the tannins the wild caught apistos will naturally occur in this environment so if you add these you would want to prepare your tank ahead of time and not rush adding them
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 11-04-2017 at 09:58 PM.