· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Red dots on goldfish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,ive rescued a small goldfish last saturday, he is tiny about 4 cm,thin and have a few small dots of red. he also has two red spots on his tail. He is eating ,poopin and swimming ok and he is active. since last saturdat he is in a 70 liter tank with filteration, im doing gentle water changes every 3 days to keep the water at best quality and using prime.I have a feeling that those dots are a bad sign and i want to start treating it beafore it will get worse, im pretty sure they are getting bigger but id hard to tell. I did my best with the photos ,though its still very hard to see.[IMG] 23146081_1357720054354619_1204710678_n.jpg
    here you can see a small pale red dot on his nose. in reality the color is much more red. he has another dot on his back and the red patches on his tail.
    here are a few more photos:
    [IMG]23146154_1357720127687945_761008476_n.jpg
    [IMG] 14087393_10155152841384392_1106268383_o.jpg
    in this one you see the red patch on the tail,once again in reality its much more red

any idea of what is this and reccomendation on what to do? ty

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Usually due to poor water quality, stress. Keep the water clean for her/him . Is your tank cycled (sorry if it is, don't remember)? If so, do water changes every day to keep the water as clean as possible. Clean water is always a good way to go, if you have some ParaGuard on hand it ill help too-or Dr. Tim's First Defense (which will condition the water too). Of course don't forget to condition new water with some Prime, lol.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Usually red dots/veins mean septicemia. It's very common in goldfish, especially those who were kept in less optimal water. Good on you for rescueing this little goldfish and giving him a healthy tank to recover in. You might not be able to do very much in way of treating this, but the fish can live a long life in a healthy tank, and symptoms might even lessen or even dissapear. Keep the water pristine, always do your regular WCs. This is not contagious.

What is the pH of the water? If you have hard water, a different med than I'm used to might be better to use.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    im using prime of course, Im kinda thinking using meds, i have Furanol from JBL adn Kanaplex from seachem.. im also thinking about adding salt to the water..what do you think?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I think aquarium salt is fine with no live plants.

My go-to med for bacterial infections is kanaplex, but I'm really not sure you will be able to clear this infection totally with meds. Sometimes it's best to forego the meds, as they can disrupt your bio and throw the tank parameters off, especially with a new tank (is it? ). For now, I would do just as you are, provide lots of clean water, nutritious foods, and watch to see if he recovers on his own until someone with more insight can step in. Sometimes all you can do is keep the water perfect.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 11-02-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I would see what @Rocksor has to say about meds and salt. When I had goldfish and they had red veins it usually meant something was wrong with the water (or filter was too dirty) amd ammonia was too high in tank. Once I got the water cleaned up the goldfish got better. I didn't medicate. I do remember (I think) Rocksor said the methelene blue in the paraguard helps oxygenate the tank? i would PM him.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think ParaGuard has meth blue in it, instead, it's malachite green. But meth blue does oxygenate water.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Post nitrate, ammonia, and nitrite readings using a liquid test. Doing "gentle" water changes may not be enough keep the water clean.

MB helps to bring more oxygen into the fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I don't think ParaGuard has meth blue in it, instead, it's malachite green. But meth blue does oxygenate water.
    You are correct and I will stop giving advise while on cold meds,
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    You are correct and I will stop giving advise while on cold meds,
    I don't think just moving houses helps any either! Hope you feel better soon!
    -Kat