· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jclee View Post
    Everyone has given really good advice so far, and covered the basics. One other really simple thought that I had was to ask about how you were doing the water changes. Are you making sure to let the new water get to the same temperature as the fish tank? Are you making sure to add the new water slowly?

Those two details can mean a lot to the health of the fish. If you have a second heater, you can always heat the new water before adding it, until it is at the same exact temperature is the fish tank. The idea is for everything to happen slowly enough that the fish do not experience any sudden change to their environment.
    So this is my process for WC (and I hope I am not messing this up big time, if I am I am not doing it on purpose.) When I am doing a partial WC I use a gravel vacuum syphon that attaches to our faucet. I try to do about a 20-30% water change and while doing that, I will vacuum the gravel. I then adjust the temperature to what feels like its pretty close to the tank temperature and flip the lever to let the faucet water start running through the tube and into the tank. As it is filling back up, I keep a close eye on the Digital Thermometer that I have to make sure it does not fluctuate to far either direction (.5 degrees either way and I adjust the water temp from the faucet.) Also, when it starts to fill back up, I add Prime to the tank where the water is going back in..... adding a cap full of it each time (a cap full will treat roughly 50 gallons of water).

If I am doing that wrong at all, please help me in doing the right procedure

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well guys, here is my results on Day 3 of water testing......

PH 3.JPG
    Ammonia 3.JPG
    Nitrite 3.JPG
    Nitrate 3.JPG

From my test on day 3, it looks like my Nitrates are creeping up again and my PH went up a little bit. My Ammonia has stayed relative the same at .25 and Nitrites are about the only thing looking good.......
    I have been doing research and since I am using well water, should I make the switch to a canister filter that way I can incorporate more media for better cleaning of the water? Also, my fish do have Ick and I put the first dose of Ick Guard in the tank today..... could that disease be throwing my numbers off and could they stable out once I get that disease out of the tank?

Thanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyost13 View Post
    So this is my process for WC (and I hope I am not messing this up big time, if I am I am not doing it on purpose.) When I am doing a partial WC I use a gravel vacuum syphon that attaches to our faucet. I try to do about a 20-30% water change and while doing that, I will vacuum the gravel. I then adjust the temperature to what feels like its pretty close to the tank temperature and flip the lever to let the faucet water start running through the tube and into the tank. As it is filling back up, I keep a close eye on the Digital Thermometer that I have to make sure it does not fluctuate to far either direction (.5 degrees either way and I adjust the water temp from the faucet.) Also, when it starts to fill back up, I add Prime to the tank where the water is going back in..... adding a cap full of it each time (a cap full will treat roughly 50 gallons of water).

If I am doing that wrong at all, please help me in doing the right procedure
    Your wc process is fine. Just maybe check the stream of water going into the tank from time to time. I know my tap temp has adjusted now and then while filling. Also, maybe do a little larger water change - say closer to 50%. I'm also able to syphon out a sliding glass door for a few of my tanks so I'm not wasting water by using the faucet to drain. But I drain my two 20g's using the faucet because I put a nylon over the end of the tube to prevent sucking up some of the shrimp I have in these tanks. I can't get a syphon going doing this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345