· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

Exclamation About to Give up on Aquariums, PLease Help!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I have always loved fish and wanted to have a nice fish tank, so I went to the LPS and purchased a 55G tank with full stand and canopy. For 4 years, it housed 3 goldfish which I ended up giving to my Aunt because of their size...... About 3 weeks ago, I started to put freshwater fish in the tank (warm water). I am using a heater and keeping the temperature at a constant 78 to 78.5 degrees. I am no master at fish keeping, but trying to do everything right. I do have well water. I have been doing weekly 20% water changes, adding prime to the water, and testing the water quality everyday. From one day to the next, I seem to have some issue with the water, whether the Ammonia starts to creep up, the Nitrites being out of wack, or the Nitrates being out of wack. No matter what I add to the water, I always get a very hard reading on water hardness. I am frustrated......... I try to read as much as I can on what to do, but I feel like everything I read tells me something different. All I want is a healthy tank and I cant afford to buy a new chemical every other day just to be beyond frustrated because it is not working. IDK what to do with the water quality and now my fish top fins are not staying open and from what I am reading that is clamp fin. Before I know it all of my fish may be gone. I have no secondary tank to put the fish in the quarantine them...... I really need help on what to do before I just give up and sell all of my stuff!!!!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    What are all your parameters? It sounds as if your tank is still cycling and that will resolve in time by doing water changes. Meaning you will stop seeing Ammonia and nitrIte, that's a good thing as once you get through that phase it's pretty easy. As for hardness what are your numbers? PH, kH and gH? Realistically they are probably fine but list those and the fish you have and plan to add. Most fish are fine in harder water so if you are trying to change it I'd stop and go with what you have the fish most likely will be better off with what you have than all the swings that are apt to be occurring trying to soften hard water. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to hear you are so frustrated. Many members here are quite good at offering guidance to help you. You need to provide information, answer questions to help clarify your situation, and be open to following suggestions.

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone here is advising you to add all sorts of chemicals. Be wary of an LFS that is trying to just sell you stuff.

20% water changes are pretty small water changes. Many people do 50% w/c each week. If you have Ammonia showing up in your tests, then another w/c is due immediately.

In an effort to gain a clearer picture of what is going on with your tank:
    After you re-homed your goldfish, did you clean the tank and filter? Did you take steps to preserve the beneficial bacteria?

Or did this tank sit empty for a period of time, before you added your new fish? If so, did you cycle this setup?
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    So, is this the current stock?

Quote Originally Posted by mbyost13 View Post
    I did add some Albino Cat Fish and I did add 2 Sword Tails..... Before I added those fish, I put some Prime in the water..... this past Tuesday (about 5 days ago) I did a 20% water change. Also, I did test the water, and out of the ordinary came back, everything looked good except the hardness of the water is high, which it has always been high with no issue
    it is a 55 gallon tank with 2 small Bala Sharks, 3 dalmation molly, 4 danios, 2 swordtail, and 3 platies. It is not planted
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    What are all your parameters? It sounds as if your tank is still cycling and that will resolve in time by doing water changes. Meaning you will stop seeing Ammonia and nitrIte, that's a good thing as once you get through that phase it's pretty easy. As for hardness what are your numbers? PH, kH and gH? Realistically they are probably fine but list those and the fish you have and plan to add. Most fish are fine in harder water so if you are trying to change it I'd stop and go with what you have the fish most likely will be better off with what you have than all the swings that are apt to be occurring trying to soften hard water. :)
    All I currently have is test strips and here is a picture of my current readings:

Water Test.JPG

The fish I currently have in my tank are as follows:

6 Albino Cory Catfish
    3 platy
    2 sword tails
    2 red wag tails
    3 dalmation mollies
    4 Danios

I do not plan on adding anymore fish, I just want these current fish to thrive in my tank and my parameters seem to change from day to day. I do a 20% water change weekly and add Prime when doing the water change. I was afraid to do anymore than 20% change because I didn't want to stress the fish out anymore than they already are when siphoning the gravel and cleaning the sides of the tank.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    So, is this the current stock?
    I just posted the current stock, I ended up relocating the bala sharks to a friends tank where they would be more suitable. When I bought those, the LFS said nothing about how big those fish get and what they need to thrive

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for listing out your stock again for the members trying to assist you.
    Great news that you've rehomed the bala sharks.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Please also post the test results for Ammonia. That one was accidentally left out.

It is not going to stress out your fish to do a large wc.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    By the way

3 platy
    2 sword tails
    2 red wag tails
    3 dalmation mollies
    Of the fish you currently have, these are ALL livebearers. Have you looked up photos to see the gonopodium yet? You would do well to identify the genders of all of your livebearers.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    20% water changes are pretty small water changes. Many people do 50% w/c each week. If you have Ammonia showing up in your tests, then another w/c is due immediately.

In an effort to gain a clearer picture of what is going on with your tank:
    After you re-homed your goldfish, did you clean the tank and filter? Did you take steps to preserve the beneficial bacteria?

Or did this tank sit empty for a period of time, before you added your new fish? If so, did you cycle this setup?
    RG 's questions are very important in figuring out what is going on in your tank. If the tank sat without any fish for longer than a few days you might have lost your beneficial bacteria or it may have cause a mini-cycle. Having a better water test kit is key to knowing exactly what the main parameters of your water are. The API Master water test kit is essential and well worth the money.
    https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATE...water+test+kit

If you are having a mini-cycle we can walk you through the fish-in cycle method. Check out the cycling stickys here for an explanation of fishless vs. fish-in cycling:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

What ever you do, don't give up. We will be more than happy to help you once we have more info from you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast