· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Interpreting TDS Readings?

1 Not allowed!
    I took a suggestion and grabbed a TDS reader from my GA lab (with permission) and tested my aquarium water. My tap water came in at 242ppm and my tanks came in at:
    1G: 280ppm
    5G: 249ppm
    10G: 271ppm
    29G: 254ppm
    I found conflicting information online several sites stated 0ppm was ideal with a top range of 100ppm, others 500ppm and another 1400ppm. Others said as much as it being a useless metric outside of testing for Old Tank Syndrome. The streams my research is in have a TDS of ~80ppm. I understand TDS in terms of stream health where I am from but I am not familiar with what is an acceptable standard for aquariums.
    A single frog sparked an interest, the pursuit of knowledge fueled my passion.
    1g: Home of the Homicidal Guppy
    5g: Single Female Koi Betta
    10g: ADF, Guppies and Otos
    29g: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

0 Not allowed!
    As a keeper of a reef tank, I use a TDS meter to measure the purity of RO/DI water when making new salt water (with the goal being to add marine salt to 0ppm TDS RO/DI water).

I also use the TDS meter to determine when DI resin needs to be changed, or to determine the TDS rejection rate of an RO-membrane by comparing the TDS of the tap water to that of the RO water TDS.

A TDS meter determines the level of dissolved solids in the water, but does not reveal the composition of those solids, which makes me question how aquarium water of a certain TDS-level in an aquarium can be deemed ideal. Or is there some correlation between TDS and the General Hardness (GH) properties of aquarium water?
    Last edited by kaybee; 10-27-2017 at 05:09 AM.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Just depends on what is in the water, organics and inorganics.

I agree with kaybee, I don't understand how an "ideal" TDS level for any given tank could be determined, either.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    That is what I thought. I measure the TDS of a system over time to determine which time of year introduces the most particulates/contaminates to a system. Where I live the TDS spikes in the early spring during melt and again not long after as agricultural work starts up for the year. I think I am gonna chart it out over time and see if I can find anymore patterns outside of water changes.

In the beginning I thought aquarium keeping was completely different than my research but I am finding similarities everyday. :)
    A single frog sparked an interest, the pursuit of knowledge fueled my passion.
    1g: Home of the Homicidal Guppy
    5g: Single Female Koi Betta
    10g: ADF, Guppies and Otos
    29g: Journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    It's true a TDS meter can't tell you exactly which dissolved solids are present, but certain fish prefer certain levels.

I use it to ensure I'm changing enough water (exactly that-a tool to prevent 'old tank syndrome') but I wouldn't call it useless!

Your tanks' TDS is well within the levels of your tap TDS, so no need to be concerned. And yes, it will fluctuate at different times of the year. It's actually not that high considering your pH is so high at 8.4

Have you tried testing the pH after letting tap water sit for 24 hours? Is 8.4 the pH in your tanks or tap water?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    I use my TDS meter to indicate levels.

For example, I use an RODI filter to pull out all the yucky crap and chemicals from our tap. Then I turn around and add my minerals and fertilizers to the purified water to ensure proper health for my animals and plants. In some tanks I keep my minerals at specific levels. When I do a water change and am prepping the new water, instead of busting out things like kH/gH test kits and waste the time and effort of dosing/testing/dosing/testing etc., I already know what TDS to aim for when dosing those remineralizers that will get me my desired levels. For example, in my caridina tank, I keep my gH at 6 using a specific type of mineralizer. I know from previous tests that the TDS meter reads right around 119ppm when I've hit that target with the minerals. Instead of busting out my gH kit every time I change water, I can just stick my TDS meter in and when I hit 119ppm I'm golden.

0ppm isn't healthy if you have things like plants and inverts that pull their minerals from the water, especially more sensitive species. You'll get failed molts, which kills the animals, and plants will melt and die from lack of nutrients.
    @angelcraze2 Kat, my tap is hovering around 200ppm +/- 50ppm depending on the time of year, my water is fairly soft (~6* for both carbonate and general), yet the pH is rock solid at 8.2. Just depends on the types of chemicals and stuff your water has in it, I guess

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    @BluewaterBoof That's just it though! Your water is fairly soft despite a high pH. I find my tap pH is pretty high at 7.6 considering my TDS, kh and gh levels are 40-90, 2 and 2. I keep thinking my pH is faulty, or I'm not reading it correctly.

I have trouble growing some plants even in my angelfish breeder tanks and the TDS is usually ~90-100.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-27-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    @BluewaterBoofI keep thinking my pH is faulty, or I'm not reading it correctly.
    Municipal water usually has chemicals for treatment in it. Those sometimes raise the pH even though the water lacks a lot of minerals.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Municipal water usually has chemicals for treatment in it. Those sometimes raise the pH even though the water lacks a lot of minerals.
    :( That's not good for fishies
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    That's why I have switched over to RODI water for most of my tanks. The only things that are in my tanks are what I put in them.