· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Well Water!!!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

Question Well Water!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so I have been doing A LOT of reading on what to do to treat well water for a fish tank and honestly, I feel like everything that I come across tells me to do something different. I am hoping that I can get a common response on this thread so I know the proper way to keep a fish tank safe with well water. What are best practices? what chemicals/conditioners should be added?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your new angels - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I treat my well water with prime just as I would if it were any other kind of water. My fish are healthy and doing fine. It has been working for years. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

2 Not allowed!
    I use well water in my tanks.

A private well normally doesn't contain any chlorine or chlorimines, unless they're added. Community wells might be different, as the water is shared and chlorine might have been added.

You haven't indicated what the problem is with your well water. Is it from your own private well? Do you know if chlorine or chloramines have been added?

If they're present, then mix it with Prime, just as you would to dechlorinate any water that has been so treated. If not, there's really no need to dechlorinate, and then you can use Prime solely for its other benefits, which I do, anyway, in my tanks.

Prime is always good to use, if for no other reason than it can neutralize ammonia for about 24 hours after a water change, in case there's a spike. It wouldn't hurt anything to add it, but if you don't, and there is no chlorine or chlorimines in it, it should still be safe with or without the Prime. Adding the Prime is still a nice thing to do for your fish.
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I hear a lot of people saying they use Prime. What is your process for keeping the water safe with that product? Weekly water changes of 15% then add the prime everytime you do a water change?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    add the amount of prime for the toal tank water volume, and then add the new water

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I use no Prime with my well water. I don't have chlorine, chloromines or ammonia in the well so I don't know why I would. I use the well water straight in most tanks, and mixed with RODI in my ram tanks. I need a rational reason to dump any chemical in my tank.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    The good rule to follow is, if you know or suspect there is chlorine or chloromines in the new water, use the dechlorinator (Prime, for most of us) to neutralize those. Any chlorine or chloromines in water can kill fish.

If there are none present, and you know that for certain, the choice is yours -- you can use Prime or not use it. It has additional benefits beyond neutralizing both chlorine and chloromines. It also conditions the water to make it easier on fishes' slime coats, and it will neutralize any ammonia that might spike after a water change.

Used in the correct amount, it's harmless and if you have chlorine and/or chloromines in the new water, you MUST use Prime or another quality dechlorinator to neutralize them.

I would also suggest using the API master test kit to determine the amounts of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in your tank. It also comes with a pH test. You're flying blind without an accurate means of testing your tank water's parameters.
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Prime also detoxifys metals that may be your well water.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your new angels - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy1 View Post
    Prime also detoxifys metals that may be your well water.
    Yes, this is why I use it, I believe my well is high in iron. I don't really know for sure what is in it so I use prime. The test to find out $$$

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Iron isn't bad as long as it isn't to high. Plants will do well in Iron rich water.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me