· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Your opinion wanted! Best school to stock in my 40g breeder?

0 Not allowed!
    I am looking for some suggestions and ideas of a schooling fish to stock in my 40g breeder. I would rather get a species that schools more often than shoals. Also since I plan on having a school of peppered corys for the bottom, and the current Cichlids stick to bottom or middle, I mostly want a species that sticks to the upper region. I'm thinking that putting a large number of a smaller species, is better than just a few of something larger like Congo Tetras. Right now the tank is looking pretty empty and the current Cichlids I have are very shy and need some dithers. So far they have not been aggressive towards anything besides their own, so as long as the fish can't get sucked up in a single gulp they should be fine. I know the perfect fit probably isn't out there haha, but I would like to know what everyone else out there would do.

20171023_104746.jpg

Currently it is stocked with:
    6 Egyptian Mouthbrooders (Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae)
    5 Ottos which I plan to increase to 9-10
    1 Peppered cory which I plan to increase to 5-6
    1 Female Common Krib with 1 young juvenile (plan to obtain a male sometime in the future)

The aquarium is running off a 20g sump and I don't foresee water quality being an issue with "overstocking", however appropriate space probably will be. Because I will eventually set up my 55g tank and separate my fish into a African biotope (non-rift lake) and a South American biotope, I will like to stick to something from either of the two continents. Although so far I have been leaning towards Harlequin Rasboras lol. So far I have been considering:

- Hatchetfish
    - Rummy Nose Tetra
    - Harlequin Rasbora
    - Green Fire Tetra

Even if you have some awesome suggestions that don't fit my description please throwing them out there! Thank You!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Here's an older article from Tropical Fish Hobbyist on these Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae. This person added a large school of Jelly Bean Tetras (Ladigesia roloffi) to his tank.

http://www.tfhdigital.com/tfh/200809/?pg=91#pg91

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Is your water on the harder side? If so, i say endlers.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the suggestions! The Jelly Beans is something I hadn't considered before but I'm definitely adding it to my list! Hopefully their limited availability and price wouldn't be a limiting factor, also they don't seem to really school either, which I may be wrong about.
    I think my water would be suitable for endlers, but I think they may be too slow and too tempting for the Cichlids to start nipping at lol.

I went to my local petsmart (literally the only thing local that sells anything healthy besides guppy's and mollies) to get some more peppered corys to add, and saw they had 4 silver hatchetfish. So I decided to go ahead and get those just to test them out and whenever I see more somewhere I'll scoop them up. Because worst case scenario is I add them to the amazon blackwater biotope I plan on making in the near future, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Iv'e had them before and I knew they weren't the best schooling fish and don't move around much but I do have a small amount of flow at the top, and so far it's been enough to keep them moving and interesting.

I still plan on adding something close to a "schooling" shoal of fish. I still need a few more corys to keep the bottom busy at night, but to my surprise the mouth-brooders have actually started to hang around the upper and middle region, something I haven't seen from them in the past 1.5 I have had them. I'm not sure what change has sparked the difference in behavior, but now it has unexpectedly left the middle of the aquarium looking empty.

Right now I am kinda of leaning towards a large group of either Lambchops or Harlequins; or a smaller group of Rummy Nose.
    Since there is so much driftwood the color is light tannin stain, so I would like to know which Rasbora you guys think would pop more, Lambchop or Harlequin?

My only issue with the Rummy Nose is that to really appreciate them I feel like they need room to run, and it is only a 40g with quite a lot of wood taking up their swimming space. Which means I might have to keep there numbers so small (>10) they wouldn't keep together very often. Let me know if you guys think differently!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    This is a 40 breeder, right?...I keep rummies in mine, and they are just fine....I'd get 15 if I were you, one of the best schooling tetras out there

Lambchops and harleys look almost exactly alike, harleys are just bigger when fully grown

In case you haven't heard, hatchets are known jumpers, be sure to keep a tight fitting lid on the tank, and careful at WC time
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The hatchets need to be over fed flake. They are kinda weird eaters. My gf just lost 4 of 5 over 2 weeks. One jumped the others just passed away. They like 3 or 4 feedings a day and we have been having good luck with an auto feeder. I grind the flake up pretty small so it gets a lot of coverage. I’d not normally recommend this but it’s what is working for us with hatchets. I think the lambchop rasboras are much more vibrant orange. They also stay smaller so you can keep more of them. Mine didn’t start schooling till I hit 13. I also lost 5 due to low o2 at night in a heavily planted tank. That leades me to believe they need higher o2 levels to thrive but your sump should cover that issue. Does your tank grow enough algae to feed that many otos?? Also the salt and pepper corries are they the Corydoras habrosus? If so they swim a lot. Mine are more active than my lambchops. The only time they stop is when they find a chunk of food on the bottom. I have 5 in a 20 Long and am thinking of adding 4 more. Great choice there just not sure if they actually clean as well as their larger brotherin. If your are looking s
    For something a little different have you considered pencil fish? They get super shiney on top with a vivid red lower fin. Their kinda like the humming birds of the tank because of how fast they flap their side fins. I also love how your tank is set up very good looking especially with the tannins I think they reallly tie a tank together.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the double reply but I’ve always been told to avoid the rummy nose as they do not seem to last very long.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Rummy nose are one of my favorite tetras--- and I am a great lover of tetras. The ones that you see at the fish store do no justice to what they actually are really like in a well-maintained aquarium.
    They require, in the long-term, at least a neutral pH, nitrates below 20 ppm, and a group of at least 6.

Here are mine- Ive had them for five years.

IMG_4833.JPG
    IMG_4853.JPG