· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jack dempsey not growing

0 Not allowed!
    I've had my little jack for about 2 months , he's about an inch and a half long and he hasn't really grown at all. Any thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sunscream1488 View Post
    I've had my little jack for about 2 months , he's about an inch and a half long and he hasn't really grown at all. Any thoughts?
    Males do not grow more than .25" every 2 months. Clean water, keeping nitrates below 20ppm through water changes and good food will help speed up growth. Being in a stress free environment also helps speed up growth.

Who are the tank mates? What size is the tank? How do you test for nitrates? What size did you purchase this fish? How long have you had it?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Males do not grow more than .25" every 2 months. Clean water, keeping nitrates below 20ppm through water changes and good food will help speed up growth. Being in a stress free environment also helps speed up growth.

Who are the tank mates? What size is the tank? How do you test for nitrates? What size did you purchase this fish? How long have you had it?
    Ok I didn't know that. I have a electric blue jack dempsey that's growing pretty quick in my 40 gallon. The jack I'm talking about is in a 75 gallon tank with danios , tetras, plecos, and a rainbow shark. I feed him dried shrimp and ciclid pellets

0 Not allowed!

I've had him for about 2 months and nitrates I normally don't test for.

0 Not allowed!

It seems like he has grown a little since I got him but not much . The shark does chase him a little but now there's a bunch of giant danios and tetras in there. He may be experiencing some stress but he's very healthy and always comes to the side of the tank when he sees me. I was thinking of switching my electric blue jack and my regular jack to the 40 gallon since it's quite a bit calmer and has just a couple angels in it and 3 rams

0 Not allowed!

Also.. I don't test for nitrates but I do do water changes every week and the nitrites and ammonia are at 0

0 Not allowed!

Here's a pic

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    He doesn't look stressed at all in the picture and he seems to come out way more than the Jack Dempsey I kept. I would continue what you're doing. Quality Flake and portions of frozen foods.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by waylon101 View Post
    He doesn't look stressed at all in the picture and he seems to come out way more than the Jack Dempsey I kept. I would continue what you're doing. Quality Flake and portions of frozen foods.
    Oh yeah he's a great little fish! I feed him omega super Color ciclid pellets, shrimp and blood worms. I'm just worried he's not growing much. He's very personable and always interacts with me when I come up to the tank. The only stresser he might have is the rainbow shark but that fish is very typical, he hides in a cave mostly and chases anyone who gets to close.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    He's so cute! Have you tried pellet foods? I find larger fish can't get enough nutrition per bite with flakes. I feed all my fish a variety of pellets as a staple, pellet size according to the size of the fish.

Frozen foods are more of treat for the fish, they are not very high in protein, which your Dempsey will need for growth.

Some pellet brands I like to use
    New Life Spectrum (start with 0.5mm 'Grow' pellets)
    Omega One
    Fluval Bug Bites (cichlid formula size, red colored container)
    NorthFin (1mm cichlid pellets)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast