· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Good luck with your tank, hang in there. - Slaphppy7   

Exclamation Freshwater Fish - Proper Feeding, PLEASE HELP!!!!

0 Not allowed!
    To All,

I have had a golf fish tank (55 gallons) for many years and recently switched it over to freshwater fish, non gold fish. I currently have 14 fish in the tank and was reading that I should feed the fish a variety of foods to keep them healthy and growing....... I was up at the local pet store, and besides the flakes that I have for them, I was told to get some frozen blood worms and Frozen Shrimp which I did...... Here are the steps that I followed from the fish experts at Petco on feeding them......

1. Put Small Amount of Tank water in a cup
    2. Put 1 Block of Blood Worms and 1 Block of Shrimp in the cup to thaw out
    3. Pour content from cup into a fish net to only get the worms and shrimp
    4. Spread the food into the tank

I followed those steps to a T and everything worked out fine but most of the food immediately dropped to the bottom of the tank and the fish are slowly eating it as they nibble at the bottom of the tank......

My question is, 1. Did I feed them correctly with the frozen food? 2. Is 1 block of each to much for one feeding (I feel like I put a lot of food in the tank, should I only put 1 block of frozen food in at a time) 3. What I was told to do was feed the fish the frozen food 2-3 times per week then on the other days, feed them the flakes, is that correct?

Thank you all for your help!!!!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    That is a quite a bit of food. For my 11 Pristellas, 5 swordtails, 6 Cories and 7 Kuhlis I feed half a cube every other day (the other day I feed flakes or veggies). I dont now how much your particular fish eat but this is plenty for my fish and usually the shrimp and snails get some too.
    A single frog sparked an interest, the pursuit of knowledge fueled my passion.
    1g: Home of the Homicidal Guppy
    5g: Single Female Koi Betta
    10g: ADF, Guppies and Otos
    29g: Journal

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I felt like it was a lot, so I am thinking it would be best to only feed the fish 1 cube of food when I feed them the frozen stuff? Also from what I put, does it seem like I am doing it right as far as the process of how I feed them?

Thanks,

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

3 Not allowed!
    What fishes do you have? Depending on what they are and how quickly they eat, that should determine how much you should feed.

High quality flake and pellet should be the staple. They're designed to be a balanced diet for your fishes, some are curtailed to certain fishes in mind. Bloodworms and other frozen treats are ok but not necessarily needed if your fishes are accustomed to eating flakes and pellets. The main drawback is the lack of protein in frozen food sold in the stores and depending on the brand, some are worse off than others. If you want vitamin supplement in your food, Vita Chem isn't bad to include with your food.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I feed frozen food a few times a week and drop the cubes in frozen for a few tanks, and thaw only for those tanks that are sharing a cube. For one tank with a single angel, 5 rummy nose tetras, 3 cories and a pleco I drop one whole cube. For another that has 5 diamond tetras, 6-7 silver tetras, 8 bentosi/HY511 tetras, 1 silver dollar and 8-9 cories, I drop in 2 cubes. My 5 smaller tanks with smaller fish don't really get blood worms or brine shrimp but will get daphnia, cyclops, or baby brine shrimp. For these, I just thaw 2-3 cubes (depending on what I'm feeding and the size of the cubes) and spread that around to each tank as I think they need it. I thaw in a small bit of tap water and use a syringe to spread it around.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Most likely your new fish aren't accustomed to frozen foods, hence don't recognize it as food right away. I would feed less and feed a bit at a time. Let the fish notice how yummy it is, than add more. I do this for all food fed actually, but that's just too ensure all the food is being eaten and not falling to the bottom where most of the fish I keep don't really pick food from.

I'm with Spardas on staple foods. I only feed frozen foods once a week. I feed pellet foods, since I need more nutrition per bite for larger fish. But I feed all my fish pellets. Just smaller pellets for small fishes. I crush pellets up for fry and juvie fish.

What types of fish did you get? Some fish eat from the bottom, others eat from the water column in a frenzy.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thank you all for your response, currently I have 2 Bala Sharks, 3 Dalmation Molly, 2 red wag swordtail, 4 gold white cloud, and 3 platies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Sorry for the late response, I just noticed this! I think I saw you rehomed the bala sharks, your other fish will grab food from the water's surface and through the water as it slowly sinks. You can use flake foods, or small pellets as a staple and feed a bit at a time, allowing the fish to eat before the food sinks to the bottom. The fish may pick at the bottom as well, but the tank will stay much cleaner if you're careful about how much you feed and feed only what your fish can eat in a few minutes.

Edit: I just remembered you had corydoras. For cories, they like to eat from the bottom. A sinking disc or pellet would be the best for them. They will eat leftover foods that make it to the bottom, but I prefer feeding bottom feeders their own food. Watch your cories to see if they eat during the day. If your cories are nocturnal, some are very active during the day, some not at all, you can try dropping the food for the cories after the light goes out to ensure the cories get the food and the others don't clean it away before the cories get to it.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-31-2017 at 10:31 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat