· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your patience with a fish-in cycle. - Slaphppy7   

Default How long to treat fungus?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all. Yesterday I noticed my c. paleatus not very active or swimming around much with the others. So I looked closely at him and noticed what looked to me like cottony fungus on him. It was transparent-ish fuzz sort of dangling off him in a few spots. And overall he just didn't look good, you could tell he was ill, he looked like crap. No ragged fins though. Just sickly looking, and white fuzz.

I tested my water(which I haven't done in a LONG time) and noticed my nitrates were really high up there. I read cottony fungus is usually a sickness that happens to an already weak fish, so my thinking was the nitrates were compromising him. I fed them and all the other cories were just running him over getting to the food and he did not eat or move AT ALL. I was sure he was done for. I did a water change and then treated the tank with ParaGuard, because I only have that and Prazipro.

Today, he seems like a brand new fish already. Can't see any of the cotton, he swimming around, and pushing other cories out of the way for food. Seemed a little fast to heal, but hey, not complaining. Did another water change, added paraguard again and a few hours later, nitrates tested at either 10 or 20. It was hard to tell because I lost my chart and had to compare to my computer screen.

Well to finally get to the question lol, I am going to do another WC in a day or two, and feel like I should keep dosing paraguard... but I'm not sure how long to use it. Also, can I ONLY dose after a water change, or can I put some in once a day? Any advice welcome.
    Last edited by Pariss; 10-23-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Can never have too many corys! - Slaphppy7   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   Have a cory for all your great pics ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Fungus mostly (only) occures on damaged tissue. So there could be some damage to the slimecoat/skin. I'd give it an extra dose of paraguard but then rely on the waterchanges and natural healing.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    I would also try what DD suggested. To answer your question about Paraguard... You can add it daily for up to 2 weeks with a WC after every 5 days. You do not have to only use it right after a WC. That is because a dose only lasts about 24 hours. It's not like other meds that hang in the tank for days.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

2 Not allowed!
    You have to wait at least 1 hour after a water change before dosing Paraguard, otherwise the water conditioner will render Paraguard in effective.

I would also buy Seachem Kanaplex if the fish does not show signs of improvement in 7 days, or if other fish start to show symptoms.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    I think you're on the right track Pariss . Paraguard is always my immediate medication because its multi-functional and not very potent. I would continue to do Paraguard for about another 2-3 days. If it arises again, try using Kanaplex like Rocksor suggested.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    What king of substrate is in the tank?

What size is the tank, and how often do you perform WC's?...how much water do you change?

Is the tank planted?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Okay thanks everyone!
    DoubleDutch: Yeah I read about that with fungus. I didn't see any noticeable damage or fraying of fins, but he did look "overall" sickly, so maybe the high nitrates affected his slime coat? He had his tail fin clamped a little too. I will continue with the paraguard and WC so he can continue healing.

Silbar: Okay thank you, I forgot that it only lasts 24 hours and was worried it would be too much if I keep dosing. And good to know that I don't have to WC every single day that I use Paraguard. Definitely skipping WC today, had a long day at work.

Rocksor: Ok great, for the first two doses, I waited a couple hours after the WC because I was unsure. An hour or so is even better. My C. paleatus actually looks brand spanking new after the first night, so the paraguard may be enough for this time. But maybe I should have Kanaplex on hand for future mishaps. You don't know (well you probably do lol) how awesome it is having medicine for your fish and not having to run around to all the LFS trying to find some lol. I'm sure having a little medicine stash could potentially save a life too. What is kanaplex mainly used for? When I was researching meds a day ago, I wrote down Polyguard as the "strongest" and Sulfplex as the "gentlest" for fungus. My stash so far is only Prazipro and Paraguard at the moment.

Waylon101: Thanks! I'm so glad it's been working, and will definitely keep it up for a few more days or week. I only had two medicines to choose from so I got lucky with the right one. He is definitely looking better, but I may still get some Kanaplex to have just in case.

Slaphppy7: Caribsea whitish sand. Ughhhh it's still a 10 gallon tank with 4 cories, and an Aquaclear 70 in it lol........... I literally have my 30g breeder waiting for me in the other room, but life got in the way and I haven't put it up yet. I've got the stand, brand new caribsea sand packs, a new cave ornament, and a bunch of stones untouched in the closet. I just need to get silicon and make a rock barrier and order a big piece of driftwood from triton aquatics. The tank is not planted except for some Flame Moss that I let do it's thing in there and haven't killed yet.(Thanks DirtyFrank! <3). I do want to put beginner plants in the 30g though. Ugh I don't knowww how often I do WC normally. I'm probably breaking so many fish codes right now.. maybe once a month? It's been cycled for 2 years now and I've turned into a monster I know. I haven't rinsed off the fliter media in a very very long time either, so maybe that makes matters worse too.
    Last edited by Pariss; 10-23-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    A 10G tank, with an AC70?

Is there a lid on this tank?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lol no, I do have a screen lid from yearsssssssssssss ago, but no not really. the ac70 was in preparation for the 30g

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    fungus is gram negative bacteria, with kanaplex the first thing I go to because it is readily absorbed through the skin.