· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Fluval E300 Heater issue

0 Not allowed!
    Good Morning ,

Setting a tank ( 75g ) for the first time in a good 25 years , just about ready to get the cycle started .

My Fluval E300 heater will not go past 83 degrees . It has the red toggle on top to go +/- in .5 degree increments , but it's not moving . It's set at 86 ... but still showing 83 with the blue light .

Operator error ?

Did I do something wrong ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks ,
    Mike

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

1 Not allowed!
    Are there any particular need to go past 83 F? Also, what is the ambient room temp and placement of the heater?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Try aiming your filters output at the heater, that heater is sensitive too flow. Unplug it and wait 2 minutes so it can reboot, I also would double check your temp with a thermometer to see what the temp really is.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the ideas ,

I'm going to Discus , so a bit warmer than usual , in that 83/84-86 range for temp .

I did see a few posts elsewhere regarding "flow" and moved it accordingly .... though it wasn't really in a stagnant area .

also just found this ( see below ) and I'm in the process of trying to "re-set " it as well as change the angle .

Dear Mr XXX
    Thank you for your e-mail.
    The E heater may have need to be reset, to do this turn off the heater and re-position the heater on a 45 degree angle, then turn on the heater and turn down the temp as low as it will go,18" ,then turn up the heater as high as it will go ,34" ,after this set the heater at the desired temp and leave at a 45 degree angle making sure it is totaly submerged.
    We have had no problems with the heaters,the only issue we have had, is that the heaters need to be positioned on a 45 degree angle to disperse the heat .The heater are so sensitive, they will sometimes read the water temp inside the heater guard if positioned verticaly.
    If non or the above helps please call me or return it,along with your proof of purchase to your supplier for replacement under warranty,as it has a 5 year warranty with them.
    Hope this helps

Jonathan Wright
    Aquatic Customer Service/Technical Advisor

Rolf C. Hagen (UK) Ltd.
    California Drive
    Whitwood Industrial Estate
    Castleford, West Yorkshire
    WF10 5QH
    phone: +44 (1977) 55 66 22
    fax: +44 (1977) 51 34 65
    http://www.hagen.com

Fingers crossed .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Remove the guard, and see if it improves. Instructions here

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/media/...ter_Manual.pdf

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Following as well, I'd like to see what works for you. I have the same heater and as temps have dipped I've noticed it not keeping up myself. Just a degree or so but it's about get a lot colder here.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    It's now about 10hrs later and temp on heater is reading 84 , temp on opposite side of the tank on a digital thermometer is 84.8 .
    I moved the heater from a traditional vertical position , to an approx 45 degree angle and located it on the side of the tank just under the water return spray tube .

I have no idea if and why any of this worked , but for the moment it has .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

This. Is. SPS!!! - BIO-Linist   Now for somebody to spam you with discus - BIO-Linist   Discus and Beer! - Sandz   Thank you my friend! - JudiJetson   Your "light siesta" suggestion a while back worked wonders last week. Thanks! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    What's the age of these discus or size? Depending on the period of their life, you don't need that high temperature.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Spardas ,
    Tell me your thoughts on temp for Discus ?
    Currently the tank is cycling .

Many years ago when i had discus I had no idea what I was doing , they thrived in a community tank at who knows what temp .

Everything I read says 82-84 is the ideal temp and even a bit warmer for young discus ..

Please share your thoughts ,
    thanks ,
    Mike

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Just read your OP again and it seems like you are trying to hit 86F. So I'm going to assume you are getting young discus fishes. The main reason for the high temperature is to increase metabolism and allow more frequent feeding. This will increase the chances of a young discus to reach maximum potential at a faster speed. Once they're adults, you can lower the temperature to 82F as they no longer need such an intense feeding regiment. It should be noted that elevated temperature will also decrease their life span, so bringing the temperature down once they're fully grown will be good for their longevity.

Depending on if they're wild collected or domesticated, you should really know the source of your discus. Asian discus and European discus are generally raised in different water. Wild discus from different strains also have varying degree of temperature difference depending on where they originate from.

Not sure what you would define as thriving but the majority of my blue adult strains discus are 7.5"+ - 8". Red strains, while generally smaller than their blue/brown cousins, also hover around 7"+. That's not to say there isn't a deviation depending on their lineage. In a community setting, if they're housed with fishes that are too active or aggressive, they will not do well and usually cower. The intensity of the lighting, the color of the back and bottom, the reflections, etc. can also stress them out if they don't like it a certain way. My discus are always calm and out in the open. They are alert and active and will come to the front if I'm present to feed. They are not shy of my hands and rule the tank as the king of their respective aquariums. That's not to say that they don't occasionally make a quick dash due to vibration or something that irks them, but that is rare. Sometimes, they swim so fast they end up hurting themselves if there is not enough room or they may spook other discus in the tanks causing a mad dash in every direction.

Aside from stable temperature, you will need stability in everything else. Water needs to be clean and this is key if you want to be successful in the long run. They're messy, produce a lot of slime compared to other fishes, and are on a high protein diet more often than not. Their stomach isn't that great either so what they pass out will still be pretty high in protein. That's why it is crucial to clean up after them, especially the young ones.