· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, happy you got your Emperors ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately, most chain stores do not care if the employees are armed with the pertinent info they need to properly advise customers. I mean, if the goldfish they put into a bowl on their kids dresser dies, the parents will come back 9 times out of 10 to buy a new one. My first experience with a fish tank was when my dad bought a 10g and stocked it with two angels, 3 platies, a SAE and a common pleco. He was told they would all be fine together in that tank by the pet store employee. Fortunately for me, I have had very knowledgeable employees at the stores I have dealt with in the past 5 yrs.
    DM's 20g high - journal

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

3 Not allowed!
    After being on the other side of the counter for the 26 years that I owned a LFS that had 19800 gallons of fish tanks to sell out of, the worst thing was employees (I had 14 of them) and lost most of my hair trying to keep track of them! I had a partner and we staggered are days off so there was an owner on the sales floor at all times. We got most of are employees from our customer base, and wouldn't let them sell to a customer for at least 1 month while we trained them. That was the good old days when the hobby was doing well and you could put the money into training. NOW the hobby has been dealt a death blow by the big box stores. The employment policy is "pay peanuts and get monkies" and buy your stock as cheap as you can with no reguard to quality! The only thing that matters to them is they're bottom line!!! They have burned out more hobbiests than they have made, because of bad information and poor quality equipment they sell the aquarium hobby has declined, and will keep going down hill as long as these stores rule!! You can't entirely blame the LFS's they're just trying to stay alive in a hobby where the beginner thinks price is everything! Even though I do agree, most of the LFS are not doing a good job!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To keep you encouraged. - mac   For your label making abilities - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    My experience with fish as a kid was my uncle having a huge well taken care of tank with piranhas and he said I used to like to watch him feed them

When I started getting into the hobby he would ask me a bunch of questions to see if I knew the answers - which I did cause of AC 🤣

I’m so thankful for this forum, because the experience at the store made me realize I would be so lost without

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Awesome, nice post. I feel the same way, when I was first handed down a 27g hex, I went to Big Als and took their word as expert. I went through such a learning experience on my own, so much online researching, lastly I found the AC, and soooooo happy I did! I can't believe how much I've learned in 5 years and so much more to learn!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    This doesn't surprise me, very few fish store employees actually know anything at all about proper care of fish.
    I agree. May sound like I am making excuses for them but they aren't paid enough to know much. They are not experts. They found a job that may or may not pay the bills. Most will move on to something else very soon. They could pay their employees more and jack the price up on fish and supplies. And then we'll act like we are being gouged and order even more online. Right or wrong that is where we are now.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    I used to go to big box stores on the weekends and get into some conversations with the employees it was fun and educational

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    I had to go to PetSmart yesterday too get my dog a harness because there's no independent pet stores left in my area. Just for grins I went threw the fish and reptile sections and then went home and poured a BIG DRINK!!!! That place is so depressing!!!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    I used to go to big box stores on the weekends and get into some conversations with the employees it was fun and educational
    You accidentally said educational instead of painful. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I'm fortunate to have a trustworthy independent LFS, the fish manager absolutely knows everything (it seems) to do with fish, I still go to him with issues, and he's always goes above and beyond to help. I could listen and learn from him for hours, no joke. I value Jason and and the AC very much! He has a long history keeping fish, his father kept fish, it's a real passion for him.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat