• 20 gallon Long

5 62.50%
  • 29 gallon

3 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 20Long or 29gal tank for next tank

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so Iím looking to get a second tank. I can fit either of the 2 listed. My questions are witch will be more versatile? Iíd like to try a planted tank. Would one one of these be better than using my 45Long? Lastly Iíve always kinda liked jack Dempseyís and cichlids but never had them. Would either of these be large enough and can I do a planted tank with either? Iím leaning towards the 20 long for light penetration but I guess I could elevate the higher light plants. So yeah any experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Oh and for setting up a quarantine tank for newly bought fish is it best to just have it basically empty as in only water and s filter and heater? Or do I want to have substrate and a fish or 2 as greeters so to speak?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    It all depends on the fish you wish to keep, you have to meet their needs. But to answer your original question, a 29 gallon tank is more versatile simply because it holds a larger volume of water IMHO. It's suitable for tetras, barbs, gourami and dwarf cichlids. It's also tall enough for an angel fish, arguably.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I prefer the shorter 20 long. But like Taurus said, if you were to consider an angelfish, the height of the 29g is important. In either one, the only cichlids I would consider are one of the dwarfs - maybe a pair of rams or apistos or golden dwarf cichlids, etc.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a frontosa, to start your collection - Slaphppy7   4 the help - rookie   

1 Not allowed!
    Bigger is better, you can still get enough light down to the plants. This is a 55 gallon plant tank.

DSCN4475.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fissh View Post
    Bigger is better
    Of course.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks I’m going to go for the 29. I hear a lot of talk about “egg crate” to distribute the load of rocks. Can someone post a link to it. Also I got ahold if a lot of rock that I think is some type of limestone and I would like to do a layer along the back wall. What would be the best way to go about attaching it or would making like 3 sections that can be removed be better. Lastly when making structures for cichlids do they need to have passages all the way through them or are caves with no exit good too?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know why I usually see 29 gallon fish tanks on aquarium forums, not 30 gallon ones? what is the special meaning of the number 29?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MNcarpenter View Post
    Thanks I’m going to go for the 29. I hear a lot of talk about “egg crate” to distribute the load of rocks. Can someone post a link to it. Also I got ahold if a lot of rock that I think is some type of limestone and I would like to do a layer along the back wall. What would be the best way to go about attaching it or would making like 3 sections that can be removed be better. Lastly when making structures for cichlids do they need to have passages all the way through them or are caves with no exit good too?
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...S-R5/100579509

https://www.amazon.com/Colored-Reef-.../dp/B001EU5QNG

https://www.google.com/search?q=afri...w=1639&bih=880

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well the 29 is included in the buck a gallon sale at Petco. The 29 is also 30 inches long where the 30 gal is usually 36” Long. I have not seen 30’s for sale at the big pet stores either. thank you for the egg crate links.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Congrats on guessing the DT. - Silbar   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Thanks for the Rep, and welcome back ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I usually jump on the biggest you can afford bandwagon. However, with these two sizes, I prefer the 20gal long. I think it is one of the best tank sizes a,d way under rated. Many fish prefer the footprint over height and a 20g is easy to beautifully scape. I had both for several years and was never happy with the looks of the 29.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me