· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Kitty!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Actually, I do live in Idaho. I've read horror stories about people elsewhere who've been arrested for shooting wolves and other large predators that came into their yards where their children were playing, and even came up onto their porches and tried to break into their houses. The laws in some places are designed to be more on the side of the animal than the person with a family to protect. NOT FAIR!

There is controversy in Idaho about the re-introducing of Canadian wolves to replace the native wolves that once were plentiful here. The Canadian species are fiercer and more aggressive, and they breed with the natives creating hybrids that are unpredictable. They also attack people's livestock, and there's a lot of controversy about their rights to protect their livelihoods and certain elements who would just as soon cuddle up with a wolf in bed, viewing it as just a very large puppy dog.

A recent story in our local paper highlights these attitudes toward wild animals. This family illegally captured and raised an orphaned fawn as a pet. Fawns cannot be domesticated, and when the deer grew into adulthood, it began attacking neighbors in their yards. One lady, whose 80-some year old mother was afraid to go outside because she had been pummeled by the deer's hooves, finally called Fish and Game, who came out and killed the deer. They couldn't sedate and relocate it, because it was so tame it would never have survived in the wild. Now, this lady is receiving threats on Facebook because she "turned in" a "cute and innocent little deer". Evidently, the facts mean nothing to these folks who have threatened her. Now, she may be in more danger from two-legged creatures than four-legged ones. The agent who had to kill the deer came out in support of her, saying it was the right thing to do under the circumstances.

This lady's final comment in the article was that she thought it mean and shameful that some folks value people less than they value animals.

All animals are gifts, but so is human life. We try to avoid confrontations when possible, but if the unfortunate choice arises between saving a person's life or sparing an animal that is endangering that life, the safety of the human being has to supercede. Trapping and relocation is usually, but not always feasible or the best option, and whenever possible, relocation is preferred over extermination. Tragically, some animals cannot be relocated, and people cannot be forced to move from their homes for the animal's benefit. There are no good choices in some cases. That's the reality.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    Badgers...are about to he scariest things around in the winter here lol.
    You better believe it, buddy!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    @mermaidwannabe, I misread your earlier post as if from op! Whoops, yeah you are fully aware of what we're up against with the wolves there, you're area is no different than the valley, maybe worse as Avery seems to be a real hot spot and is a bit closer to your neck of the woods than mine. Read your post as if they were your local ordinances, my bad!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
    Badgers...are about to he scariest things around in the winter here lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    You better believe it, buddy!
    But if it's a WhistlingBadger, he'll just shoot an arrow at you and miss ....see, he couldn't even hit me with a tomato.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on 3,000, have an oyster! (?) - Slaphppy7   For giving your daughter a tank, scaping rights included! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to all of you! - Boundava   sorry to hear about your knee. since you dont drink herea a slice - bpete   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by taurus View Post
    but if it's a whistlingbadger, he'll just shoot an arrow at you and miss ....see, he couldn't even hit me with a tomato.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Well see, he said we were scary, not actually dangerous.
    Last edited by WhistlingBadger; 10-23-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    We had wolves killing livestock on the outskirts of town last winter. I don't think that will happen this year. Wolves are off the endangered list now (I don't think they ever should have been on it in the first place), and they are classified as trophy game in certain areas, and as predatory animals (can be hunted at will) everywhere else. I don't have anything against wolves--they've gotta eat too, and they really are extremely beautiful, and the one time I heard one howling is something I will never forget--but overall I think this is a good change. Hopefully we'll be able to make similar changes for grizzly bears soon. I'm no wildlife biologist, but it seems to me that it is a bad idea to allow several successive generations of apex predators to live their entire lives with no reason to fear man.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Exactly! It's the lack of fear of humans that makes them especially dangerous around us. My bigger beef is with the broader issue of valuing animals over people, which our current cultural, and even its legal attitude, keeps doing. That's just plain WRONG.

On the other hand, people can do some very foolish things, like trying to keep tigers for pets or wading into waters they know are alligator infested, then blaming the animals for doing what's natural for them.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Yeah, sure. And I also believe that when I choose to go into the wilderness, I have to accept the risks involved, including that posed by wild animals. It's part of the thrill of wilderness. I don't want guard rails on steep trails, and warning signs on every mud bog and hot spring and avalanche area. I don't want the dangerous animals exterminated. (though it is amusing to wonder, since most of the lawsuits regarding grizzly bears and wolves seem to come out of California-based groups, why they don't want grizzlies and wolves in Yosemite or the Muir Woods, ha ha) But we must accept the reality that people AND animals use this land. There are no more frontiers, no more white areas on the map, nowhere that problem grizzlies can be relocated where they won't affect anyone. Most of wildlife management involves striking balances between the needs of people and the needs of nature. That creates a lot of gray areas, and I guess that's where the tension comes in. I just wish that the wishes and needs of the local people were taken into consideration more often. That's one of the reasons I'm pretty strongly in favor of states' rights.

To put it another way, a self-described environmental activist once pointed out to me that the Upper Wind River Valley was "prime grizzly habitat." I pointed out to her that it is prime human habitat, too. And that's the problem, always has been, always will be.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To new fish! - Slaphppy7   Second round ;) - Slaphppy7   It's a hot toddy. - Taurus   Here's to the "blue ribbon" tetra! - Slaphppy7   Hope you had a happy birthday! We are both March babies :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhistlingBadger View Post
    We had wolves killing livestock on the outskirts of town last winter. I don't think that will happen this year. Wolves are off the endangered list now
    I did not know they had bred back that fast, I knew they were almost as adaptive as the Coyote, but didn't realize they could bounce back from the edge of extinction this fast.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler58 View Post
    I did not know they had bred back that fast, I knew they were almost as adaptive as the Coyote, but didn't realize they could bounce back from the edge of extinction this fast.
    Well, they had a lot of help. Canadian wolves were released in Yellowstone in the mid 90s, into an ecosystem that was overpopulated with large ungulates, and where predators enjoyed complete and total protection. Wolf heaven, on other words. :) They have expanded hugely since then, and are now at something like three or four times the original target population.