· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to hear this, Sil. Do you feel that you could trim off leaves that have it?
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I have tried doing that but it is on almost every leave except the very new ones. I am about ready to do some major leaf removing/cut backs and see what happens .
    I will update on my journal so I don't thread jack.
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I had a bit starting on some plants in one of my tanks, I just upped my daily excel to about 20% over recommend levels and after a couple weeks it stopped growing and started shriveling up. Now after a month or so it's pretty much non-existent. My stock had no ill effects from the higher excel but that tank does have a considerable water flow and bubbles as well.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Hi there! Nice to meet you :) Don't worry, that's just the start, just pluck it off with your nails. I think it's totally controlable, once you learn how to keep it away.

I have been dealing with this BBA in my 90g tank for what seems like 4 years. @Silbar My tank looked exactly like you are describing yours at one point. The BBA was smothering my plants. I would like to share what I feel has helped suppress BBA. I say suppress because BBA still lives in my tank, but I am one of those that have learned to appreciate the "look" of a little controlled BBA, it no longer sends me into a meltdown lol. But I think we can all agree it's no fun when BBA impedes plant growth.

To prevent a problem, I have found that aging water prior each water change has helped enormously. It prevents co2 fluctuations from happening in the tank and also keeps a more stable pH when doing WCs. Increasing lighting has not helped to combat BBA IME, in fact I've successfully regressed it by reducing the photoperiod and adding large floating plants like dwarf water lettuce to filter light and suck up excess nutrients.

I really believe there's a connection between organics and BBA. Once I take steps to lower oganics and dissolved solids, make sure nutrients are "used up" by plant growth, BBA is under control.

I added amano and bamboo shrimp, (neocaridina for small tanks) I'm not sure if they help eradicate BBA, but I imagine they'll pick it off like I've seen my bushynose rasp it off. I have a pic somewhere of my male BN with BBA in his mouth, but even if they don't eat it, invertebrates can dislodge it to get filtered and WC'd out.

You'll be fine, just nip it in the bud and find the source of the prob in your tank :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks @angelcraze2 ! How long do you age the water for and how do you get the aged water to the correct temp for the tank? I was also wondering if placing a small bare root pothos in the top of the tank would help absorb some of the organics without damaging my other plants? I recently put a few root tabs in the substrate and backed off of the Flourish Advance.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    @Silbar I forgot to mention, I stopped using fertilizers in the water column.
    I age my water for 6 hours with a airstone, or 24 hrs ahead of time. I boil a portion of the water in a pot on the stove to get the aged water at the same temp. (I aim for a bit cooler than warmer...I worry about that gas-bubble disease.)

I think the pathos would most likely act in the same manner as floating plants, good idea!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @angelcraze2 I think I might try to age the water for this tank since it is only 20G and see if that, together with the other things, will help. Thanks.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    BBA...black beard algae? BTW, I was wondering how your Congos are doing? I've had mine for a year and just love them.

Sorry Sil, I didn't see the question about the Congos. They are AMAZING. I actually just took a video to update you guys on my tank, so I'll post that if you want to see them.

Also, please feel free to hijack this thread because any advice anyone has on you BBA problem will help me with mine : D
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    Didn't the famed Rachel O'Leary have a tank scaped with BBA? Yes, on purpose! and of course she made it look fabulous.
    She did it with brush algae. Very attractive effect, in my opinion. I liked it a lot.

Alas, her algae tank was wiped out by pothos :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Ah, yes. I stand corrected. You are right, of course, André. I liked that tank she did a whole lot too.
    I did recall that something happened to her beautiful scape, too -- but completely forgot that it was pothos!

Sil, you're onto it, with your plan. Good thinking.
    Last edited by RiversGirl; 10-17-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast