· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

Default Too much carbs in fish food leads to death

2 Not allowed!
    https://www.feednavigator.com/Articl...-to-fish-death

fatty liver disease caused by too much wheat, soy, or corn by products.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the season! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    How very sad for that family's farm. Sickening for all those fish -- it sounds like a slow, horrid way to go.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    If what they claim is true, there was definitely negligence and irresponsibility. That new manufacturer should have known what could happen when they changed the formula, or at the very least, should have had their researchers look into it before changing it. AND, they should have notified the fish farm of the changes. Customers have a right to know these things. What about the labeling laws? How did they think they could get around those? Sounds a little sneaky, to me -- and they deserve to pay for it -- IF what is alleged in the complaint is true. It will require good evidence, but if the farm has it, those people are toast.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I used to feed my dogs food from the vet. It cost me twice as much to feed them this than a high quality food at the LPS. I kept feeding my dogs this food because the vet insisted it was best for them. One year, they changed the formula completely. The new formula was imported from Mexico, instead of made in Canada. I wish I still had the old bag info, but the new major ingredients where corn, wheat, and other crap. When I asked "I thought dogs didn't digest corn very well?" She told me corn is a protein replacement of it is processed correctly. The price went up, quantity went down, quality went way down. It wasn't even a slight alteration, it was a complete change. The vet failed to alarm me of this change, and the next time I went to buy the dog's food, I had none of their existing formula left to let their bodies adjust gradually to the new ingredients. I never bought the new formula, and switched to Fromm at the LPS. There's a ton of foods, even for us, being altered without our knowledge, unfortunately.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Sorry, I'm out of milk...it went sour - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    That's why it's so important to read labels -- and HOPE they're complete and truthful. There are supposed to be labeling laws, but companies manage to get around them. Yes, even in our foods, there are so many preservatives, additives and fillers that our bodies were never designed to digest. It's no wonder people get so sick these days and can't figure out why. Doctors often won't tell you anything, and so many of them just blow off your symptoms or try to say it's all in your head -- very insulting to someone who is conscientious and paying attention to what their bodies are telling them. This "all in your head" business is a cop-out that doctors use because they're too lazy to find out what's wrong.

Veterinarians charging high prices for specialized pet food have a moral obligation -- maybe even a legal one -- to inform their clients when formulas change. Clients have a right to know, especially when their money is being taken.

If that were my vet, I wouldn't go back for anything. I'd find a different vet, even if it meant driving farther for my pet's good health. If they can't or won't be up front with their clients, they don't deserve their business.

It's hard to believe some of the unethical practices that are done these days, but it happens often and we need to be alert and informed.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Enjoy the season! - Silbar   Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Kat, I'm so sorry to hear your vet's supplier tried to pull that switch! It is a good thing you were alert and observant so you did not put your dogs through the abrupt change.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - RiversGirl   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   So sorry, RIP Big Blue - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Ty Rivers. This was years ago, I have my dog Chelsea still, 12 years old and acts like a puppy, she's been on Fromm food now since she was 6.

@mermaidwannabe When the switch happened, I was pretty upset, but I stayed with the vet because this was my second vet I went through, and well, nobody's perfect. There's a lady I went to school with at the reception, and I feel through other more stressful moments with the dogs, they've helped me out as much as possible. But thank you for your concern! It just shows how important it is for is to be conscientious about everything we buy to eat, even if we buy it regularly.

I remember when CoffeeMate used coconut oil as an ingredient. Now it's cottonseed oil and tastes like crap!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Coconut oil is supposed to be quite healthy to consume. When melted into a liquid, it tastes just like butter, and is a great substitute for butter on popcorn. I can't have dairy, so instead of buttering (or worse yet, using margarine) on my popcorn, I just melt coconut oil in the microwave, and I honestly can't tell the difference, flavor-wise.

Coconut oil is supposed to have heart benefits, as well.

You're right that nobody is perfect. Not even God expects us to be perfect. But I think a little more serious consideration of long-term consequences for consumers should enter into corporate decisions to switch out quality ingredients for less desirable ingredients. Why tamper with a good thing? Maybe it's cheaper, maybe it's politics, maybe it's just poor decision making, but it often results in an inferior product when they once had a much better one. Doesn't make sense.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Scientific article on the usage of carbohydrates in fish:

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...fish_nutrition