· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

Default Why I always advocate large water changes

3 Not allowed!
    Experiment is obviously a bit extreme, but it gets the point across.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    What if my tap or well has some yellow food coloring in it? That's why I always advocate everyone educate themselves and do something intelligent for THEIR water supply rather than mine.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

4 Not allowed!
    It's an extreme example meant to drive the point that if your tank is saturated with high levels of toxins, it takes much larger volume water changes than most beginners assume to bring those levels down to safe levels.

Every week I see dozens of beginners on FB groups wondering why their nitrates are super high leading to ill fish and algae issues, and they feel they are doing adequate water changes when they are doing 20% changes each week.

Obviously this is not a one-size-fits-all solution, but for the vast majority of beginners who are still learning and don't understand the intricate details of their water chemistry, this is a good visual representation of how inadequate small water changes are when dealing with toxic saturation levels.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

3 Not allowed!
    Good points.

All I would add is that since you are going to do the work a WC entails, why just change a small amount?

Get a Python, and drain that sucker...well, not totally drain it...you know what I mean
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    It's a good visual aid. Small WCs have little effect if your tank has a lot of toxins in it. I have some small tanks where a 50% isn't even sufficient. As long as your source water is good larger WCs make sense.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Not knowing a huge amount about freshwater but i know marine where in my opinion most marine fish are more fragile they have been fine in nitrates 100ppm + I know that as I've had them levels myself however they have climbed slowly over time all fish where fine as well as a lot of other marine keepers have high nitrates.

With regards to toxins don't you freshwater keepers run activated carbon like us marine keepers to absorb some of it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
    ...With regards to toxins don't you freshwater keepers run activated carbon like us marine keepers to absorb some of it.
    Generally not anymore. That's whole nuther debate. :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    Wow, 100 PPM plus?

As you know, I know nothing about SW fishkeeping, but I didn't realize any tank-kept fish could handle that amount.

With fresh water, activated carbon really is not necessary...from my experience and learning, it's really only useful for removing medications from the tank water after a treatment period for ill fish.

As described above, in a cycled FW tank, the only toxin you have to worry about is nitrAtes, and unless a tank is heavily planted and minimally stocked, regular water changes are required to keep nitrAtes at levels that aren't harmful to our fish.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Generally not anymore. That's whole nuther debate. :)
    Strange how freshwater keepers dont adopt the same process as marine keepers is it because it removes things in freshwater you don't want it to ?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
    Strange how freshwater keepers dont adopt the same process as marine keepers is it because it removes things in freshwater you don't want it to ?
    It is generally considered a waste of money among us freshies. Strips out fertilizers and needs to be changed out fairly often. Some claim that they've had it leach toxins back into the tank, but I haven't researched that at all so I'm not sure if that is anecdotal or not.

As for the nitrates, I dose up to 40ppm weekly in some of my tanks for plant growth. I have not seen any ill effect on my animals, although I do not wish to prolong it and try my luck with much higher levels. I have more sensitive animals in other tanks in which general care sheets claim to keep nitrates as low as possible to reduce mortality rates, so those are kept between 5-10ppm NO3. After the money and effort spent on those animals, I do not wish to try my luck to disprove it hahaha

100+ppm of NO3 seems outrageous to me. This is actually the first time I've ever heard someone claim to be keeping their tanks at those levels. I'm curious if @Spardas keeps his reefs and discus tanks at elevated levels like that.