· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default Lymphocystis: So much conflicting info!

0 Not allowed!
    I have what I highly suspect is a lymphocystis outbreak in my 40g QT. I received 17 kerri tetas and two electric blue rams a day late from Angelfins.

I'm trying to educate myself on the virus, but I'm reading and hearing so many conflicting reports.

I read once the virus enters the aquarium, all fish are exposed and can have an outbreak any time, particularly when stressed. I read that the virus can only be deactivated with high solutions of Potassium Permanganate, bleach, temps of 50c, pH of 11.

Then I read that the virus is somewhat species specific, that each strain of lymph can only infect a closely related fish.

I also read that catfish do not contract the virus at all.

I even read somewhere (can't find it now) that the virus might be airborne. That one really puts me in edge.

Accurate answers would really help me out since I have a fishroom and sell fish on occasion. I absolutely cannot have any fish I sell in contact with this virus (if it turns out to be).

Does anyone know accurate info about lymphocystis?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    My other pressing question is:
    Can my kerri tetras and gold tetras somehow be saved from this plague?

I read the cysts bursts, thus infecting another fish, but I really feel that might be untrue. But if anyone knows, is there any chance my tetras might not be infected/infectious?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    lymphocystis is for the life of the fish, and will come back under stressful conditions. Carriers of a virus can always infect other fish if they themselves have an outbreak or if they are eaten.

Get the immune system up and the virus will go away. if you read the mfk link I sent you, the guy's severum had lympho 7 months ago, and it went away. Now it is back.

read the post by duanes in this link post #21, he's kept many fish, even aggressive fish, for over 30 years so he has seen all types of fish diseases.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f....693803/page-3
    Last edited by Rocksor; 10-07-2017 at 03:14 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    @Rocksor Thanks for the trustful link.
    Is it true my other fish, the gold tetras, the super blue kerri tetras (all fish in the tank) are immediately/already carriers of the Lymph virus, because I added the ram in question (a fish exhibiting symptoms) to the tank? If I remove the ram, and use Paraguard, can I kill the virus?

My questions seem stupid, but I've read some pretty silly things, and it's just in hopes....I have to ask.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   

2 Not allowed!
    From Wikipedia:

Usually the best cure is to simply give the fish a stress free life, a weekly bacteria treatment and the virus will slowly subside and the fins will repair themselves. This can take many months. Like most viral infections, even in humans, the first outbreaks are the most serious, whilst the immune system "learns" how to suppress it, the outbreaks become less severe over time assuming the organism survives the initial outbreaks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    My questions seem stupid, but I've read some pretty silly things, and it's just in hopes....I have to ask.
    Not a stupid question at all Kat. But I don't think you're going to kill the virus if that's what's happening here. Seems the best you can hope for is that the fish's immune system "adjusts" enabling them to live with the virus. Over simplified I'm sure but I think that's what it boils down to.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You're right, I forgot I asked the same question in my other thread, I was obsessed over that ParaGuard link Angelfins sent me. I can kill the virus with a lot of Bleach, potassium permanganate or like, but I'd kill the fish too, so I mean to kill the virus in the tank. Blah.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I'm still not sure if the other fish (different species) would immediately become carriers?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Well, I'm still not sure if the other fish (different species) would immediately become carriers?
    yes other fish are carriers, considering many different species of fish have exhibited lympho, just hope for the best and keep an eye out.