· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ty Spardas. I don't believe I can kill the virus in the fish. But at least I can use PP to disinfect my plants, and aquarium.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Last year when I was going through this same type of thing, I believe my gouramis had lympho that then predisposed them to septicemia. Of the original 5 two of them were affected. They were shipped with each one in an individual bag but were placed in a new 75G, along with several other tetras, that I had just cycled. The 2 that were affected died but all others are still alive.
    This is what TWS told me at the time:
    "A little about Lympho: it is a chronic, viral disease that is already present in many natural and aquarium environments—a variety of wild and tank raised fish already carry this virus. Lympho can only transmit between and affect certain higher order fish though, so your tetras should be safe . It is nearly impossible to obtain unexposed fish since it’s quite prevalent. We’ve seen a fair amount of symptomatic fish throughout the years, and sadly Pearl Gouramis seem to be particularly susceptible to this illness. Of those we’ve seen with Lympho, they still behave normally, they just look like they have tiny lint balls on them for a while until it eventually goes away. If a fish is carrying Lympho though, the fish will only show symptoms if it is stressed, injured, or kept in sub-par conditions. Overall, Lympho behaves the same as human virus: people can spread the virus amongst each other if we make the right kind of contact, but only those with compromised immune systems will show symptoms and get sick; others will remain carriers. I suspect that the stress and the infection on the one Pearl Gourami allowed the Lympho to emerge. I also suspect that the other Pearls you have are also carriers, but since they are in better condition, they are not showing signs of Lympho. Just keep the fish in their ideal water parameters and the lympho will go away on its own .

I don’t mean to scare you with this information, so I apologize if I did. I just wanted to be upfront and give you what knowledge I had available. It’s not a harmful disease, it won’t kill your fish; it’ll only make them look bad for a little while, though they may also be more susceptible to secondary ailments during their recovery. Please let us know if you have any further questions and I’ll do my best to answer them! I hope your fish continue to improve!"

This has proved to be true for me. All the fish were treated with 2 weeks of Paraguard. After the 1st pearl gourami died I moved the other affected one to a QT and started kanaplex treatments. It died soon after. It has been a full year now and the remaining 3 are healthy.

Here is a pic of what one of them looked like:
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...64#post1410364
    Sil's 2nd Time Around 75G...Journal
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Real courage is moving forward when the outcome is uncertain~~Fortune Cookie

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Are you close to or know of any aquatic vet? It's best to get a sample under the scope to identify what it is exactly instead of all the guess work since it does seem like things are stabilizing and in no state of emergency.
    No aquatic vets here at all. That is a very costly procedure, unfortunately, but I agree, the best diagnosis.

Is there anything else it could be? In your experience? It doesn't look like anything I've seen before, except at the LFS 6 years ago. Literally looks like enlarged cells.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Kat, here is another pic. The spots were a blush color and they first appeared as a bump but then looked uneven like cauliflower.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...19#post1408419
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    @Silbar OMG thanks Sil! I never realized what you were going through was Lymph! I thought it was a bacterial/fungal thing. That virus is so hard to photograph, the camera makes it look white, I know it is not now that I see it in person. In most of my pics, it looked like he had these white patches, not bumps. It was frustrating trying to take pics. Is this how you would describe what you were seeing?

I'm going to go over your whole thread again. I remember reading all that info now that you post it. I also remember feeling so sorry for you, now it's me with EB rams

I don't know I agree with them though, I hope the virus isn't everywhere, I guess there's nothing I can do, but I think a reputable LFS should take precautions against the spread of the virus. I think that's the same lazy excuse I'm getting for shipping me sick fish, tbh.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silbar View Post
    Kat, here is another pic. The spots were a blush color and they first appeared as a bump but then looked uneven like cauliflower.
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...19#post1408419
    OMG! YES! That's it! The same thing! They are a blush color right now.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, I had a fungus/bacteria issue this year in my other 75G.
    I think of the lympho virus like a flu virus...it is everywhere and we all get exposed to it but having a healthy immune system helps prevent some of us from developing the actual flu symptoms. Another analogy is the chicken pox virus that can remain in our system for years and can then possibly show up as shingles down the road. So keeping a healthy environment for the fish is key #1 (which you already do with your tanks). I'm sorry you are dealing with this.
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    You know? I just spent a couple hours reviewing your journal from the delayed shipping ordeal on. I remember it now. I get confused with your two 75gs, I have to pay more attention lol. Looking back, I think your poor gourami's immune was so comprised, it fell victim to secondary infections as well as possibly having lymphocystis. So none of your other fish ever showed any symptoms? Only the pearl gouramis? And the two others never developed anything, no new fish showed any weird bumps again to date? I know you did a lot of water changes. I agree with your statement above about keeping the water optimal, I just want to be "the one" who brings lymph into the city you know? I agree there's a lot of aquariums where the Lymph virus is present, especially in a LFS aquarium of they are not careful who they import from. My LFS guy Jason is careful who he orders from. In most cases, his fish are more expensive because of this. But I made a terrible mistake by ever ordering fish from which I was not familiar with personally. All the reviews were so great, and Angelfins is literally the only place I can ship fish from. I am not experienced enough to deal with issues like this though.

Our stories differ in the sense that lymph-like symptoms showed up later in your tank, and I was shipped a ram infected with lymph. Not that it matters, (except the fact that I was shipped an obvious sick/deformed fish). Lymphocystis, if that's what it is, in both of our cases, came from the shipper/nursery. Fish are infected with the virus at least 30 days before showing symptoms.

Well, I read somewhere that Lymph is transfered only to closely related orders of fish. Same as what TWS wrote you in an email. I don't know if it's true, the same as I don't know if catfish are exempt from being carriers, but maybe there's hope as it seems there is in your experience. I hope it's true. I do absolutely believe keeping your tank clean has a big part in it, so I'm happy things have worked out for you.

If I didn't raise/sell fish/plants, I wouldn't worry so much about it, but I feel a bit resposible making sure that virus isn't spread from my tanks.

So until I know for sure what's true, what's not, I feel I should keep everything very seperate and those tetras might be tucked in a room somewhere....far away from my other tanks, I just choose not to knowingly introduce this virus into my own system if I can help it, and I suppose I can by moving all the fish and sanitizing their QT tank in my fishroom. I think this is the best idea even though I really don't want another tank. I'll try and get excited about this. A tank in the spare bedroom again. Lol, hubby is not gonna be happy.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Kat, you are correct that none of my other fish have showed any issues for one year, so far. Of the 5 Gouramis, I still have 3 left. The two females remain in that same tank and the male was transferred to my other 75.
    I don't think we will know for sure if it was lympho but all you can do is your best. It sucks that your fish were obviously sent from the seller with the issue present. Especially since you wanted to breed them. Your plan of a separate tank in your spare bedroom is a great idea. This helps protect your other tanks and will make it easier to treat and watch the affected fish. Maybe your hubby won't notice the new tank
    Sil's 75G...Journal
    Sil's 20L...Journal
    Sil's 10G...Journal

RIP Deb, we miss you.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Ty Sil :) I got the tank all set up and fish transferred. I transferred two small HOB filters over, all the water, snails, IALs, rocks, one planted bowl (the dirt, the swords, the crypts, the java fern-everything). I added Prime in case of a mini cycle.

I bleached the floor, the outside of the tank in the fishroom, disinfected all my equipment, everything is done except filling the 40g back up and disinfecting. I might just use bleach since I don't have Potassium permanganate. I feel really good about having separated the fish. I'm gonna make it a blackwater tank (eventually). I noticed the water is pretty tea coloured already since I added the AILs to help prevent infection. I'm still using ParaGuard every night, and I'll do a WC tomorrow. The tank Is packed with plants, I don't intend to keep the big bowl in there, but I wanted to add as much bio as possible from the 40g. Well, not my style of tank, but there's lots of places for the fish to hide, so that's good I guess. A smaller tank is easier to do WCs on and medicate, and having it separate takes away a lot of stress for me. I'll work on making the tank pretty later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Kat

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast