· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

Default I'm receiving new fish and freaking a bit out

2 Not allowed!
    Lol, I just want make sure I'm thinking it out. Any suggestions are welcome, constructive criticism, it's all ok :)

I'm planning to add 20 small kerri tetras, and two EB rams to my 40g. It's not a hospital tank per say, but I'd rather use an established tank then one set up overnight with seasoned media.

But I already have 9 gold tetras and 4 juvie angelfish and one juvie male BN pleco in there.

Here's some info on the tank
    40g (3ft x 1ft x 20"high)
    Two HOBs on the tank (aquaclear 20 and some small cheap black one, with extended intakes to reach near the bottom)
    The tank is bare-bottom with needleleaf Java fern attached to rocks, and two amazon swords planted in bowls. Some IALs.

I'm doing a WC tonight with aged water, and possibly, I can swap the two filters for one AC70 I have recently bought an impellor for. I am worried about bio. At least a little. So I'm not sure if combining the media in one new filter that would push water far more efficiently is a good idea or not. I could add BB from another tank.

BUT I'm wanting to rehome some of these fish. Specifically a couple juvie angels and the gold tetras. I can't put them in QT with the new arrivals!

I'm taking a chance, I'm thin
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Sending you much luck with your new lovely fishes!
    You'll do fine with them--- you got this :)
    Where are they coming from?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    In emergency like this i just use a air filter from one of my tanks add that fi the new tank for qt or holding. Then watch the water testing daily to keep a eye on spikes doing regular water changes .

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    I. would remove the plants since they are potted, last thing you need is some sort of outbreak, amd cant treat because plants limit how you can treat the new fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, sounds like I should set up a tank tonight for the new arrivals.....am I right?

I have a 15g, I could set that tank up with the AC20. But I thought it would be better to P&D the new arrivals into a well-cycled tank, that it would give them the best chances at staying/getting healthy. Hmmmm

OR

What if I move all the angels from the 40g into the 120g? I want to shake things up a bit with the angel school anyway, since I want to keep more than 4 ultimately. The 4 juvie angels can stay there for a while, as long as they don't get bullied. Maybe with the four of them introduced at a time, this might work? I might have to just try it and see.....

I might keep the gold tetras for now and in the 40g.

Any thoughts before I proceed?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 10-03-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Update:
    I may have to put the gold tetras in a holding tank for someone who wants to buy them.

But I'm still thinking I'll add my 4 juvie angels to my 120g to shake things up a bit. I'll move them after the lights go out. I can acclimate them until then, which is unnecessary, but I'd like the lights all out for hopefully greater acceptance from the four adult angels.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

1 Not allowed!
    put the gold tetras with all the plants in the 15 g, if you dose with prime everyday, ammonia becomes ammonium and food for the plants. put the new filter on this tank. do daily 5g water changes if you think the tank needs it.

if you think the juvies can handle the large tank, then put them in there.

keep established filter on the 40 g to keep the cycle. new fish into 40g

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Tx will do Rocksor :) Those pointers are great for helping set up a QT.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Sending you much luck with your new lovely fishes!
    You'll do fine with them--- you got this :)
    Where are they coming from?
    Sorry, I missed your question, I ordered the fish from a Canadian company Angelfins.

I received the fish a day late due to postal issues, but luckily all the fish were ok expect one DOA kerri tetra. I "Plop'n'Dropped" the fish into a bucket of tank water where they acclimated to ambient light and tank water. Then I plop'n'dropped them again into the 40g QT (gave them another rinse). Poor fishies were in the bag for 2 days and two nights, so they are stressed and thin, but alive :)

I'm letting them be for now, light is off, but I'm wondering if I should feed them today. They are looking very thin, but I'm not sure they will digest properly until they settle (maybe tomorrow). Any thoughts?

Also, I am contemplating prophylactic treatment with a mild med. I know a lot of you do, but I've always been an "add to a healthy tank and see" person. I haven't even had a chance to properly observe them yet, since I'm trying hard to leave them alone. I noticed a darker color on the kerri tetras soon after they went into the tank, (a good sign) and my rams never lost their glow even in the bag, but I don't think they ever lose that iridescence, even in death. Some of the kerris were at the very top, and some were nose down but it could be just getting used to the tank? They are really easiy tiny, tinier than the gold tetras, and I kept three filters on this tank in case I had to set up a hospital tank, so lots of sudden current (and pressure I would imagine).

Thoughts? Any thoughts? Anyone?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    When I receive fish I always feed them a medicated food with praziquantel for 5-7 days. I always assume tapeworms, I have had them so often in my fish and by the time you discover them, they often take so much out of the fish that they succumb to more serious bacterial infections..
    I never worry about Ich, it is so easily treated that I "wait and see."
    When acclimating fish, in order to get their appetites up, I turn up the heat a few degrees higher than I will eventually keep them at to get their metabolic rate up and encourage appetite. I also use Vitachem ( an amazing appetite stimulant) in the water once a week and a few drops in food. Fish are often vitamin deficient when you first get them because they are fed little or not at all during the shipping process and at the retail store.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast