· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

Default Who on this forum has had their DNA tested through Ancestry DNA?

0 Not allowed!
    I just got my results, and they're pretty much what I was expecting, with no real surprises.

There are some interesting leads for me to check out, now, to broaden the scope.

Anyone else do this? What was your experience? I am quite pleased with mine.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I had an aunt do it a few years back, actually had some quite shocking history turn up that while shocking accurately answered some questions about family history and helped to develop another portion of the family tree shed been developing through ancestry .com or genealogy .com . And while it's become a bit of a joke around the family and blaming that particular heritage for things it was enlightening for us too!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    How much does it cost?

How do they get a sample?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

1 Not allowed!
    You purchase the kit through Ancestry.com. My sister gifted me with mine for my birthday, so I really don't know what she paid for it. Once the kit arrives, you set up a free account at Ancestry, with a user name and password. The kit comes with complete instructions. You have to activate it online by typing in a code number that's just for you, and record that number in the instruction booklet for future reference. When you've done that successfully, it'll say your kit has been activated. Then you spit through a funnel into the tube they provide, up to the black line. Then you remove the funnel and twist the cap containing a stabilizing fluid until the fluid is released into the tube. Then tighten the cap and shake the tube for at least five seconds, then seal it inside of the plastic bag they provide and insert that into the postage paid (United States) mailing box they also provide, and drop it into the mail. When the results are completed, they send you an e-mail with a link to click on to view your pie chart. It tells you what percentage of your DNA is from where, and there are other features you can click on to view a map of those areas and get in touch with others who might possibly be related to you. There are several additional options they provide online, which you can take advantage of or not, as you choose. It's a very interesting process, and really quite simple.
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    My fraternal twin sister and I did it through 23 and me. It was amazing to see how different the percentages of our nationalities ( German father/Italian and Norwegian Mother) were. She was mostly Italian ( she is darker skinned than me, with dark hair) and I was mostly German ( I am fairer skinned with dark Blonde hair). :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    And that's the difference between fraternal twins and identical twins. Frats can have widely varied genetic profiles between them, while identical twins both share the same genetic profile. It's an interesting field.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - crf8   

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve been researching genealogy via traditional documents for 15 years. The DNA testing found me some second cousins but our common ancestor could be as far back as 8 generations. You still have to work it old school if you’re serious about your ancestors. The actual DNA come from inner check skin cells, not the saliva.

CRF low tech 55g FW
    Florida

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   For the new corycats! :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    My wife had her's tested through ancestry as some of you know through updates in my journal, she found nine half brothers and sisters from eight different mothers, shes been very happy from the findings but beware before you "spit in a tube" you just never know how it will turn out
    @Matt, our kits were $99.00 apiece.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    it's not that accurate, read up on the results for the Dhamer identical triplets. They did not get identical results.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   For the new corycats! :) - discusluv   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    It's not 100% but it's still close enough. On the Native American roles I'm listed as 33%, but I've always known that the man my Grandfather claimed was his biological father and 100% NA was not his father, I always estimated I was closer to 25% because of this. When my test came back I was 23%. Even if your identical, your still going to get more DNA from parent or the other. I'm not a DNA expert, but the with the research I've done about it, I'm satisfied with my results.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep