· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Question

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your new angels - Slaphppy7   

Default Question

0 Not allowed!
    I have only two Red/Blue tetras left in a 50 gallon tank and no luck finding more locally, I can find them online but can't justify the shipping. Are there any other tetras that I could put with these guys to make them feel more comfortable?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    These are Colombian tetras?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, Colombian tetras.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    You could set up a smaller well planted tank for them. It's not the ideal situation but, if they are the only two in the smaller tank it would be ok.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I do have a 20 gallon, right now it is certainly not well planted but it could be. I planed on planting the 50 and picked up the 20 for their temporary home. You think they would be happier in a 20? if I could get it planted? I also have a 29 gallon that I just got started.. :) so happy it's done with it's cycle and has some plants, driftwood and two 1" bristle nose in it. I have kind of a mess going on with my fish due to a series of comings and goings of fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    If you are planning on starting over with the 50G, 2 Colombians should be fine in the 29G...if it's newly cycled, just be sure to keep an eye on params after adding them

I'd just let them live out their lives there w/out trying to find fish to make them comfortable
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just added two little 1" BNs to the 29 so maybe in a few days I will put the tetras in too. I was going to just leave them but one is getting so mean and nasty I thought maybe I should get more, that's when I realized how hard to find they were. Maybe just moving them into the new environment will change them a little? Not so mean to one another? I am going to be changing the 50 soon I hope. Have to get rid of some little BNs first.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

1 Not allowed!
    Columbians are schooling fish and 2 fish are not a school. If you have other species in your 50g they will not be comfortable. They will be stressed and stressed fish are more susceptible to illness. I seriously doubt you want a 50g with only two small tetra, and you are clearly concerned about their welfare and providing the best options for them. So I suggested a smaller tank for them. Two schooling fish by themselves in a tank with lots of plants to hide in are more likely to be less stressed. Plus your 50g will be free for guilt free stocking. A 20g long is a good size. It has the same footprint as a 29g. The tetra require length more than height. Plus, 20g is great tank. It's dimensions make it easy to escape nicely and the length opens up a few options a smaller tank wouldn't for future fish.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me