· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

Unhappy Not sure whats wrong with my betta..?

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like his find are kinda clamped together, and it looks like his pectoral fins are stiff and crooked? Doesn't look like theres any rot on the fin though? Now, he usually spends his time hiding and sometimes swims around in the middle of the tank like in the video. He doesn't even swim up to get pellets I drop into the tank..I try to change the water out every week (had a stint where it went about 2 weeks because I was out of the country). I changed the water again yesterday and seemed to make him a little more active but I'm kind of at a loss.

Water Parameters:
    pH 7.5
    Nitrites: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrates: Very low

FYI, I had to turn up video quality on youtube to see the issues more clearly.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ
    29g FW Planted Community -- INACTIVE :(

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    When you do your water changes, how much water are you changing out?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your a quick learner - Strider199   You are off to a good start. - Fishin Phil   A girlfrienf for Lewis, lol - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I usually do about a little bit above 50% since it’s a 5g
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    I honestly think he looks fine. Maybe check the temp in the tank, if they aren't at 78-80 they definitely show less activity in my experience.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks like a perfect healthy habitat for your betta.
    As for any issues there is nothing visually odd at all. Swims like I have had mine swim.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well now I feel kind of silly. Haha
    I guess I need to try feeding him some live food and maybe he will seem more interested? And I also just thought his fins looked a little stiff and not fluid like they should be? but I could be just being overly paranoid. I will see about making the tank cooler, Most of the day is a little bit above 80 due to it being still blistering hot in my area.
    Thanks guys!
    ❊ Shrimp Newbie ❊
    5g Planted
    ڠ Kat's 29g Adventure ڠ

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - BluewaterBoof   Thanks for the rep!  This is going to be fun! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Sunday ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the "gpld star". - Silbar   Thanks for the rep!  DIE, BBA! - WhistlingBadger   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattiq View Post
    Well now I feel kind of silly.
    Don't. The only silly questions are the ones you don't ask.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    And a but above 80 won't hurt your betta either. Just don't let under 76 or over 84, both are about the max for betta comforts :) 78-80 is what's most often recommended but many people keep them a constant 82.

EDIT :
    I found several if my thermometers off more than I'd assumed this summer and all my tanks were quite warm due to weather and my cooler being out... Both my bettas spent most their summer around 82-84 which was the warmest I'd ever kept them and they were perfectly happy with it.
    Last edited by sfsamm; 09-30-2017 at 02:09 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

1 Not allowed!
    It's good to keep a digital thermometer on hand, one that you can calibrate, to check the acurracy of your other thermometers
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    It's good to keep a digital thermometer on hand, one that you can calibrate, to check the acurracy of your other thermometers
    Yes, most definitely.