· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I don't get how you have your lights positioned, sorry to be the pain, but I'm so curious? You are talking about positioning CFLs? I use LED bulbs in shop lamps, (for some tanks) but it would work the same way right?
    Hi Kat!

So I'm not the best artiste, but here is how the CFL bulbs sat in the old hood vs the new lamps:

WP_20171019_003.jpg

Here is the actual hood:

lg_rd_930208_13978Z-IO.jpg

The problem with the old hood was that a lot of the light was lost in it as it was not completely surrounded by reflectors, like the lamp. It had a basic reflector sitting above the bulbs, but all the light that shot out to the sides was lost. I'm not sure what percentage was lost, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 40% or even more that was just hitting the black hood material and getting absorbed instead of being directed down into the tank.

With the lamps, their hoods completely wrap around the bulbs and are coated in really bright reflective material, which directs the majority of the light down into the tank.

I was brainstorming with @Spardas a while back in PMs because I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get better coloration in my plants despite using such strong bulbs which were almost twice as strong as the bulbs I used in the past for things like my HC carpets. He was the one who pointed out to me just how much light I was losing using that old crappy hood.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    The original hood came with those old crappy incandescent bulbs. The designers probably weren't thinking maximum reflective properties for plant growth when they were coming up with the design

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Can't say I told ya, but I totally agree. So inexpensive and GREAT results using soil. All my tanks except the growouts have some amount of soil in them.
    I don't know why I didn't try it in the past. I'm never going back hahaha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    I don't know why I didn't try it in the past. I'm never going back hahaha
    I felt the same way haha

Ok, I get the light thing, tx for taking the time to sketch and explain! Yeah, I have the same setup in my forever QT tank, but I like the ambient lighting. I use the shoplights you have now on my other tanks without a regular fixture. They work amazingly well!
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Lighting will also be important when you venture over to the salty side of things, Mr. Boof, lol. If you're into reef tanks, that is.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, that is one of the things preventing me from getting a SW built. The lighting for reefs is still a bit above our budget. Soon, though.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the laugh! - BluewaterBoof   Congratulations on the return! - AmazonJoe   Thank you for your inside and suggestions - Silbar   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   You need one more for the 17ft tank lol - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on how big you want to go, Boof. A nano tank to try out may work for you as a first tank. You have the delicate touch and carefulness that would make it work as opposed to people who just jump into the hobby and start with a small tank. If you just want to try your hand at a miniature tank that can keep some soft corals and simple LPS, the Fluval 13.5 isn't bad. It's functional and the light is strong enough for certain corals, surprisingly, and pretty cheap. Look into it and look at some of the builds people have with that tank.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle. - Slaphppy7   Have a tetra, glad your here ;-) - steeler58   They didn't have an eel so here's a foxface haha - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what budget you are looking at, but Iíll add to the previous comment. Current makes some lights small enough for nanos, and their prices are considerably cheaper than some of the others on the market for SW.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Another flood, another drain. Already starting to have to trim back the hydrocotyle to prevent it from swallowing up the pogostemons, which are also starting to take off from the sorry little plantlets I started off with.

I did a longer flood period this time as I was wanting to test out a DIY CO2 setup to use if I end up needing to permanently flood before my new pressurized system is ordered. Three days, great CO2 levels, plants pearling nicely the entire time.

Lots of tannins after three full days.

tannins.jpg

wp_ss_20171024_0001.jpg

Close-up of the pogos. They're remaining a nice dark green, which should remain as long as they are getting enough light and nutrients. I grew them before in a different tank years ago without knowing much about planted tanks, and those old ones were faded and almost yellow. I'm counting on their color to help me dial in the lights and eventually the ferts once I start dosing.

pogos.jpg

Drained and wrapped back up again for another week of baking.

WP_20171024_005.jpg

DSM.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Looks great
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore