· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

3 Not allowed!
    Took me about four hours to finish up last night. My feet were killing me from standing the whole time, and my shoulder and back weren't too happy about being hunched over the tank for that long, either.

I ended up getting the EcoScraps organic soil as opposed to the organic potting mix. It was suggested to me on a dirted tank group on FB to stay away from products that contained water retention stuff.

Took a good long while to get the dirt sifted using one of my son's little sandbox toys haha

WP_20170928_015.jpg

WP_20170928_017.jpg

The Flourite was also SUPER dirty. Spent about 20mins filling up the bucket and draining. Still no where near as bad as the Black Diamond blasting sand, though.

WP_20170928_012.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Laying down the dirt.

WP_20170928_018.jpg

Then mixed it with a lot of the Flourite, so that there was a good base of clay-based soil where the roots are going.

WP_20170928_019.jpg

THEN CAME THE BOOBOO. I didn't know until I was supposed to wet the dirt before capping. I made my hills with my rocks and packed everything down, but I left the soil dry before I capped with the Flourite:

WP_20170928_022.jpg

WP_20170928_023.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

4 Not allowed!
    After I was already partway into the planting, I took a small break and hopped on my phone to check FB and stuff. That's when I saw someone mention to make sure to wet the dirt before capping, as it will settle and compact once it's wet. Sooooooo I started to pour water in on the hills and sure enough, they lost a lot of shape and some of the Flourite sloughed off the sides, exposing the dirt underneath. #$%&#@&(%$^#$!!!!

So I had to stop and reshape everything, which worked out a bit on my part because I made some slight changes which I ended up liking better.

Another benefit was that planting in an inch of standing water was a thousand times easier than planting in moist Flourite, which would stick to the tweezers and the hairgrass also stuck to the tweezers. Having it all underwater completely got rid of any sticking from both the substrate and the plants, which enabled me to move much quicker.

Doesn't look like much, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were close to 150 hairgrass plugs, not counting all the hydrocotyle that was planted up the hills.

WP_20170929_002.jpg

After I was done planting I drained some of the water out so that there wasn't a huge standing pool of water. I'll probably drain out even more this evening. It was close to 12:30 last night by the time I was finishing up and I wasn't really in the mood to try making clean-up perfect haha

WP_20170929_011.jpg

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

2 Not allowed!
    Looks great! Well I'm glad your booboo worked out for you, sorry it took all night to finish, but it was worth all the effort. Thanks for the tips on planting with a dry start! What a great idea to sift the soil if pieces of bark aren't wanted.

What is water retaining pieces? Is it the sticks/bark? Why did your friend advise against it?
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A guppy to get you started. - Slaphppy7   Have a beer for being another sports fan ;-) - steeler58   Here's a super rare guppy lol - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    Looking great, you inspire me :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    What is water retaining pieces? Is it the sticks/bark? Why did your friend advise against it?
    From my understanding it is something like a synthetic crystal or bead or something that is added to the soil that soaks up and holds onto water. I don't know if it is necessarily bad for a fish tank, but since I was advised against getting the soil with the water retention stuff I went ahead and got plain organic soil just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    Looking great, you inspire me :)
    Thanks, Dewayne! I'm not very artistic/creative, so I hope my tanks can convince others to try new ventures even if they don't feel like they have a green thumb or any kind of artistic vision.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, maybe it's vermiculite? I used those to hatch my leopard gecko eggs. Yea, I would not used anything but organic soil just to be safe.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

1 Not allowed!
    Oh I will definitely be trying this just as soon as I can source out all the parts I want to use and budget allows.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwfish13 View Post
    Oh I will definitely be trying this just as soon as I can source out all the parts I want to use and budget allows.
    Suggestions on a budget:

Bare 10g from Walmart ~$13
    Philips T2 Twister CFL bulbs from Amazon ~$10/4-pack (with Prime) Can use desk lamps or generic 20" 2-bulb hood for the CFLs
    EcoScraps Organic soil exactly $7.50 after tax at Lowes
    Flourite 15lb bag from Amazon ~$22 (with Prime)

So a little over $50 for the essential equipment, even less if you already have a 10g sitting around.

Plants this time came from that site I linked for you on FB, Aquarium Plant Factory. So far they are my favorite. Why?
    1) in vitro plants are reasonably priced around $10 each. Packed full of strong healthy plants. I ordered two cups of eleocharis (dwarf hairgrass) and I had so much that I used 2/3 of a cup in one tank and still had more than enough to carpet this one.
    2) Free shipping on all orders (unless you opt for expedited shipping)
    3) Currently offering 15% discount on all orders over $45
    4) A large portion of stock offer a buy2get1free option
    5) Insanely fast order fulfillment. Order is shipped either same day as placed or next day. Ordered mine on Monday, plants were here Wednesday. Orders placed on Fridays will usually be waiting for you on Monday.

Note: If you get those T2 Twisters, there are two options; a 13w 60watt-equivalent and a 23w 100watt-equivalent. The 13w one is a tiny bit smaller and fits in those generic 10g hoods with ease. I upgraded to the stronger 23w bulb and it is a much tighter fit and actually melted the plastic covering directly above the bulbs. If you use desk lamps then you won't have this issue. I am actually in the process of ordering a pair of telescoping architect desk lamps so I can a) run this tank without an unsightly hood, b) position the lights exactly where I want them, and c) you're wasting light when those bulbs are lying sideways over the tank; using a desk lamp focuses and directs the light more intensely than those cheap hoods.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

3 Not allowed!
    The tank is off to a great start, Andre'. I'm glad you didn't use the soil with moisture retaining crystals. As soon as I saw the first post I thought, "Oh no". And then I saw you decided not to use it. I use these crystals all the time in my flower planters. When they get wet they swell up and look like globs of clear jello. Great for keeping moisture in planters but I do not think they would be good for a fish tank.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast