· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Tetra?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

Question Which Tetra?

0 Not allowed!
    I will be getting my tetras soon for my 180 gallon geophagus tank.
    I am still debating on what kind to get as some say that the geophagus will eat anything under two inches and others say that they wont touch even neon tetras.
    Anyways, this is the stock that will be in tank:

For sure: 7 geophagus Argyrosticyus, mirabilis, or sveni ( depending on availability)
    Possibly: 5 Altum Angels or a large school or corydoras

Here are the choices for tetras:

(Planning on getting 30 of one type)
    Orange Lemon Tetras
    Lemon Tetras
    Diamond Tetras
    Red/Blue Columbian Tetras
    Flame back Bleeding Heart Tetras

Which do you suggest?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

4 Not allowed!
    None of the above, I'd get Congos if it were me

10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

5 Not allowed!
    A school of 30 diamond tetras would look spectacular. But for more color, consider the lemons or orange lemons.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep friend :) - Compass   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Thanks for the rep! - AmazonJoe   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

5 Not allowed!
    It's generally not a gpod idea to mix the continents. Although there are some fish with similar temperaments, nutritional needs, and environmental requirements from both continents that will work together.
    Have you looked at the buenos Aires tetra? They are a bigger tetra with similar environmental requirements as the Geos and angels. They are also fast enough to get out of the cichlids way.
    Which ever dither fish you choose, my advise is to add them first and give them a few days to learn their new environment.
    When I go fishing I just throw sharp rocks in the water and wait for the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.

I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Dear naps, sorry I hated you so much when I was a child... Love me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Amber Ale will have to do :-) - Taurus   Congrats on winning POTM! - Silbar   For the nice vid ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on the 2nd spawn. - Silbar   A bit of good luck can't hurt during Irma. Stay safe as possible. - Taurus   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

2 Not allowed!
    Good advice from mom.

I vote......for lemons there a relatively large tetra at least laterally. They're also a very active schooling tetra I think with the right layout number of tetra and Geo's proper meals there'll be no reason for any issues.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 09-26-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your wait on shrimp - Boundava   Congrats on the new salties - Slaphppy7   Have a clownfish! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   A bit of good luck to get you through Irma. - Taurus   

2 Not allowed!
    I second Joe with the lemons, I have had experience with them and they are a nice schooler and I really liked their subtle yellow.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for showing us your fish - RiversGirl   Have a tetra for sharing your imperials with us ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   For new fish ;-) - steeler58   

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the input!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I am deciding about which tetras for my large tank with angels as well.....my first choice out of your options was lemon tetra. I have them with my angels right now, I love them, they are a fun tetra to watch, they are so active and use the whole length of the tank from end to end chasing eachother. They nip at themselves, but never the angels. My angels don't seem to mind their quick movements either, so that's why I vote Lemon Tetra. I was wondering though, what do you think about mixing regular lemon tetras with Orange lemon tetras? I think that would look amazing!
    @Sue, are those your diamond tetas? That video helped me decide I might want these teras afterall, That's some amazing finnage! Reminds me of my congo tetras I loved so much. Diamond tetras are my second pick :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    I still like your original idea of Red/Blue Columbian Tetras.

If your going with Lemon tetra, get the Orange Lemon, because they are new and different, pricier but just something new ;-)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mb-qcSZXFnj8Ow
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just pretend it's a cardinal, lol - Slaphppy7   Here's to 5 years, bud. - Slaphppy7   Thanks for the rep! - WhistlingBadger   Here is some coffee so you have lots of energy to get ready to order fish from Wetspot! - discusluv   16K posts! - Slaphppy7   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Well maybe not so new, This from seriously fish "The latter fish is referred to as H. pulchripinnis ‘orange red’ or the rather misleading ‘orange Bolivia’ in the aquarium hobby, and its identification as H. pulchripinnis established the assumption that the species is native to the Tapajós. The two forms may not be conspecific, however, since they exhibit a number of differences in colour pattern and morphology.

Specifically, the aquarium ‘lemon’ form differs from the orange red’ form in the following characters: base body colour greenish-yellow (vs. orange-yellow); anterior dorsal-fin rays black with milky tips, anterior anal-fin rays mostly yellowish (vs. anterior dorsal and anal-fin rays orange-red, blackish distally); upper portion of eye orange-red (vs. eye almost entirely intense red); diffuse humeral spot rarely (vs. commonly) visible; males without (vs. with) extended dorsal-fin.

The two forms are very similar in terms of dentition and meristics (Zarske, 2008) therefore it is unclear whether they represent distinct species or not, while their natural distributions also remain in question. Some fish entering the aquarium trade also appear intermediate between the two colour forms (see images attached to this profile), therefore all are included together here on SF until the confusion is resolved".
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep