· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    I thought I remembered you saying you removed your large DW piece and replaced it with manzanita? If this is right, the substrate would have certainly been disturbed? I really believe that given the time period and possibly switching out the DW after seeing fungal issues has caused a secondary bacterial infection, and as suggested, kanaplex is the go-to med for that. But I think at this point, once the fish starts to bloat up, there's not too much I've been ever able to do to save them unfortunately :( IF you can try your best to net the fish out, I would do that. Move slowly and have patience with your net, take breaks of you have to, I find it best to try not to scare the fish, chasing it with your net in frustration. Fish seem to remember better than we give them credit for! I would try and treat him with Kanaplex and Furan-2 as Rocksor suggested since heavy meds would be needed at this point and I would not want to use Furan in the showtank.
    Yes the timing is having stirred some compacted sand underneath the substrate, then nitrite spikes. So it appears that's what started it. So far it's only the one fish affected, I am keeping a close eye on the others, so I am letting nature take its course.
    ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

29g planted freshwater tank
    AC70 HOB
    Satellite Pro LED 24-36 20W 20-LEDs (14-6500K 6-RGBW)
    Tahitian Moon Sand w/some Flourite

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"
    "Hey, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss."
    "If it sounds like a fact, it is a fact."

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Ok, just to let you know, ParaGuard has "protective polymers" I'm guessing similar to the slime coat protection StressCoat offers. StressCoat is not a medication, it only helps the fish build some coat and helps heal Aloe Vera style.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    I hope that the rest of your tank remains healthy. Best wishes for your treatment for this fish.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jana View Post
    Yes the timing is having stirred some compacted sand underneath the substrate, then nitrite spikes. So it appears that's what started it. So far it's only the one fish affected, I am keeping a close eye on the others, so I am letting nature take its course.
    Yes, stirred substrate, then nitrite spikes, is pretty straightforward. Another lesson in the life of a newbie. After daily water changes, the nitrites were finally zero on 9/21, though the ammonia was .25. Ammonia was zero after WC, and all water chemistry is back to zeros 9/21-9/23 this morning. Whew. Could have been so much worse!

Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Ok, just to let you know, ParaGuard has "protective polymers" I'm guessing similar to the slime coat protection StressCoat offers. StressCoat is not a medication, it only helps the fish build some coat and helps heal Aloe Vera style.
    Yes, it seems Paraguard uses polymers (synthesized) for slime coat and StressCoat uses aloe vera, which is great. I checked more closely and I have been using some Paraguard because of the medicine in it (since the fish was so bad). The ParaGuard bottle says it is "A Safe Alternative to Formalin" and fights both fungus and bacteria, (I am too inexperienced to know which). I have also been using some StressGuard, which is "Antiseptic for Fish." StressGuard label says it is safe in combination with any medicine, as long as it is not copper based, which I wouldn't use anyway because of my inverts.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversGirl View Post
    I hope that the rest of your tank remains healthy. Best wishes for your treatment for this fish.
    Thanks River :) Thanks for your help!

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    stressguard is paraguard lite in terms as an antiseptic, do not mix because you will overdose. Also, no point in adding stress coat when using paraguard.

from seachem tech support

StressGuard and ParaGuard have the same 3 types of medications. There is a disinfectant, a protein active collide, and a dye. They are just in different ratios in these two products. The ParaGuard has a heavier amount of disinfectant whereas the StressGuard has more protein active collide. If you use these two together you will most likely overdose your fish. Wait approximately 24 hours between doses of either of these products.
    http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...uard-questions

anything that looks like fungus on a fish is generally caused by gram negative bacteria. Fungus is a look that people can identify with versus gram negative bacterial infection.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Well, sometimes clean fresh water goes a long way, he may recover with all your care :) I'm hoping he does. I meant to just say ParaGuard's protective polymers are probably similar to StressCoat, I support your choice.

It's not easy to tell the difference between true fungus and something bacterial, but fluid build-up usually means something's infected. I've seen fish recover from bacterial issues with simply WCs, I hope he pulls through and all the others stay safe and healthy. Very healthy fish in a healthy tank have a much better chance at resisting disease and infection.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jana View Post

UPDATE

OMG trying to look at a specific Tetra for more than a split second is a PAIN. A JOKE. A DESTROYER OF HUBRIS.

BUT...the Bloodfin/anisitsi looks better this am. Yay! Head less bloated/opaque, and lesion less pronounced. He's able to keep up with the other fish, and isn't breathing hard. I think he's going to make it. What a tough guy!

Water chemistry is back to normal for the fourth day in a row. No more issues with nitrites.

So, I guess for the future, if I encounter impacted sand, I will take action immediately. I'll get some advice right away. And begin WC and close monitory/testing. I am assuming the only way to treat nitrites is WC until zero every day.

Rocksor once advised I could do two 50% water changes in one day without losing my cycle. He also said how many and what percentage you can do in a row without losing cycle. I did 50% WC four days in a row, one day with two 50% water changes. I eventually had ammonia .25 one day, probably because of stress on BB(?) BBs seem to be back to normal.

As always, I learned a lot.
    Last edited by jana; 09-24-2017 at 12:26 AM.

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    stressguard is paraguard lite in terms as an antiseptic, do not mix because you will overdose. Also, no point in adding stress coat when using paraguard.

from seachem tech support

http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...uard-questions

anything that looks like fungus on a fish is generally caused by gram negative bacteria. Fungus is a look that people can identify with versus gram negative bacterial infection.

Okay, I will discontinue the StressGuard.

Could you please tell me again the parameters of frequency and percentage of WC that can be done the same day and how many days in a row? Thanks, as usual!

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    two 75% water changes is roughly equal to 100 % water change. You can do it every day. People use an autodrip system to change 100% of the water everyday if thye wanted to.

Salt will protect fish from nitrite poisoning, about 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons every day is enough. The fish's gills will take in the chloride ion of the salt rather than the nitrite ion, protecting it from nitrite poisoning. Not sure if plants can tolerate that much salt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default fish is still sick

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    Sounds and appears ( with the whitened areas on the body and the accumulated fluids) like a secondary bacterial infection from the nitrite spike. Not parasitic.
    Columnaris or Aeromonas bacteria, possibly.

I would treat with a combination of kanamycin sulfate/nitrofurazone.
    The Bloodfin Tetra is still alive. What a tough guy. None of the other fish are showing symptoms. I think it might be columnaris, so I would like to keep trying to heal him. I tried netting him--no way.

QUESTION: I bought some kanamycin sulfate/nitrofurazone, discontinued ParaGuard yesterday, and added a fresh carbon pouch to my FL/AC70 this morning. How long should I wait for the carbon to filter out the ParaGuard before going forward with the kanamycin sulfate/nitrofurazone?

Thanks!

PS Water quality has returned to excellent, (for the last seven days), after my sand-stirring, nitrite spike incident.
    Last edited by jana; 09-28-2017 at 11:26 PM.

AC70 HOB

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"