· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    Paraguard has "protective polymers" in it that may keep help the other fish in your tank. I would think it might help the slim coat of the other fish in your tank? Net the sick one if you can, but I wouldn't stress out the other fish in the tank too much, that won't help. Netting tetras can be a pain...lol...you have to be quick sometimes. Other than that, I can't offer anything to make that process easier.

I can guess at the nitrite spike, but that's all it is, just a guess. Your tank and the beneficial bacterial colonies might not be mature yet.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   I loved the vid - Silbar   sfsamm - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

4 Not allowed!
    When I can't catch fish I generally try draining water down to a couple inches. Works for most everything except CAE an some Danios. I've also taken apart brand new bath poofies to sort of wrap plants and torn out hardscape trying to net danios.... But lowering the water level is always super helpful.

I'm sorry your fish is sick, after my experience this spring that stuff terrifies me to be honest. I heard over and over its usually not a big deal but it was when I went through it, but again I had a much different issue and fungus was the final indication and meant literally 6 hours or less to death. I don't have any recommendations for treatment, I wish I did.

Rocksor was very helpful as was the local fish guru here whom was able to inspect bodies up close and in person. If Rocksor hasn't chimed in yet hopefully he will soon, he's a great help!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Happy Birthday ;-) - steeler58   Hope you had a wonderful day. - Taurus   HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

3 Not allowed!
    I'm so sorry you are having this trouble.

There are so many members here who have exponentially more experience in catching fish than I, but just in case my thoughts might spark something helpful, I'm happy to share.
    Some of the methods I've used to catch troublesome fish include

Using 2 nets -- this is generally the first thing I try. Herding with one net, the second is one that I will hang on the side for awhile (so they get used to it) and that is my main 'catcher net' -- so a smaller net that I can be quick with.

Absolutely lower the water level, as advised from sfsamm above. A lot. Catch some tank water in bucket/s and remove décor that isn't rooted in. (Submerge any wood, décor, etc. in the tank-water-filled bucket for safe keeping.)

Another thing is to keep coming back, instead of one long session. If you are not successful, don't stress out the entire tank (and yourself) by keeping up the chase but instead, step away for a bit.

One more thing. Try your best to not look at the one you are trying to catch (sounds hard, but you just pretend and play-act that you aren't interested in the one that you are interested in.) Let your eye skim over that one, keep it in your peripheral. Prey critters sense when they are the target. IMHO, I believe that they know it when they've been 'locked onto'.

Good luck and best wishes to you.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

4 Not allowed!
    how deep is the substrate? A nitrite spike can occur if you have denitritification ocurring from anaerobic bacteria in your substrate, then you disturb the substrate, and expose them to oxygen. This causes the bacteria from completing this process, and allowing nitrite into the water column.

That looks fungal in nature, typically gram negative bacterial infection. You can drain the tank and catch the fish and separate it, treat the tank with Paraguard, treat the tank with kanaplex, or just sit and wait it out.

Those of us hwo have lost fish fast due to bacterial infection would do the kanaplex treatment. If its really bad bacterial infection, the fish will pass away in 3 days. This would be bad because chances are that it is columnaris, which the treatment recommended by Discusluv is what I wouldo do (Seachem Kanaplex and API Furan-2).

What is the tmep of the tank?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    I thought I remembered you saying you removed your large DW piece and replaced it with manzanita? If this is right, the substrate would have certainly been disturbed? I really believe that given the time period and possibly switching out the DW after seeing fungal issues has caused a secondary bacterial infection, and as suggested, kanaplex is the go-to med for that. But I think at this point, once the fish starts to bloat up, there's not too much I've been ever able to do to save them unfortunately :( IF you can try your best to net the fish out, I would do that. Move slowly and have patience with your net, take breaks of you have to, I find it best to try not to scare the fish, chasing it with your net in frustration. Fish seem to remember better than we give them credit for! I would try and treat him with Kanaplex and Furan-2 as Rocksor suggested since heavy meds would be needed at this point and I would not want to use Furan in the showtank.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 09-21-2017 at 07:37 PM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!
    To help with fluid accumulation in the abdomen you might also try adding Epsom salt at a rate of 1/8 tsp per 10 gallon of water. I find a low concentration of Epsom salt in tank ( as bath) is more effective and less stressful on fish than a dip treatment when ill.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by discusluv View Post
    To help with fluid accumulation in the abdomen you might also try adding Epsom salt at a rate of 1/8 tsp per 10 gallon of water. I find a low concentration of Epsom salt in tank ( as bath) is more effective and less stressful on fish than a dip treatment when ill.
    baths are generally temporary like 15min -1 hour. Something in a tank for a day or more is just general treatment.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    baths are generally temporary like 15min -1 hour. Something in a tank for a day or more is just general treatment.
    So are you saying Epsom Salt is not helpful for bloating dosed in the tank and only helps in higher concentration baths? What would full tank dosing of Epsom Salts be used to treat?
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas to you and your family :-) - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you too! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Congrats! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Rocksor is saying that I incorrectly called a "general" treatment a "bath"--- which is true, this naming is incorrect and the difference is important..
    When helping others with sick fish, it is very important to be precise.
    Thank you Rocksor for correcting this...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For luck with your cycle - Slaphppy7   Congrats on cycling your tank! - Silbar   Great job researching the plant weights. - Silbar   Have a tetra for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58   Congrats on your new Corys! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    how deep is the substrate? A nitrite spike can occur if you have denitritification ocurring from anaerobic bacteria in your substrate, then you disturb the substrate, and expose them to oxygen. This causes the bacteria from completing this process, and allowing nitrite into the water column.

That looks fungal in nature, typically gram negative bacterial infection. You can drain the tank and catch the fish and separate it, treat the tank with Paraguard, treat the tank with kanaplex, or just sit and wait it out.

Those of us hwo have lost fish fast due to bacterial infection would do the kanaplex treatment. If its really bad bacterial infection, the fish will pass away in 3 days. This would be bad because chances are that it is columnaris, which the treatment recommended by Discusluv is what I wouldo do (Seachem Kanaplex and API Furan-2).

What is the tmep of the tank?

Hi, substrate is 1.5" to 2". I keep the temp around 79, give or take a degree.

On 9/15 I thoroughly stirred my substrate, (after I took the old resin DW out), to more thoroughly mix up my Tahitian Moon Sand and a small amount of Flourite before putting new driftwood and plants in. Stirring about, I found that I had a 1/4" to 1" compacted layer of sand in about a third of the tank. I thought the poison release would be dramatic, like a halocline, and saw no difference so I wasn't concerned. *PUNT*.

The next day I started spiking Nitrites .25 every day between WC. I did 50% WC (and one day two 50% WC) until the nitrates were finally zero on 9/21 yesterday. However, yesterday I had .25 ammonia. Everything is back to zero now.

This is day three of ParaGuard, which was recommended. The only other recommendation I could find was to do Stress Coat. I went with ParaGuard because of the anticeptic quality.

The fish looks better today. Its head is back to normal size and his eyes aren't protruding. The area above the tail fin is a little less white and with more of the dark spot, so who knows.

I've been more concerned about my other fish getting it. The fish was so sick, I assumed he would die, which would be a blessing, poor guy. I was unable to net him.
    ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~ . ~

29g planted freshwater tank
    AC70 HOB
    Satellite Pro LED 24-36 20W 20-LEDs (14-6500K 6-RGBW)
    Tahitian Moon Sand w/some Flourite

STOCK LIST:
    8 Bloodfin Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    10 Amano Shrimp
    5 Dream Blue Velvet Shrimp
    5 Sky Blue Velvet Shrimp
    10 Assassin Snails

Planted 29g journal

BUCKETS

"Mulder, where are you?"
    "Hey, lesson here, Bey. You come at the king, you best not miss."