· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You made the right call. In memory of the one who didn't make it. - Strider199   To help you find your puffers - KingFisher   ...a replacement puffer for you. (Couldn't find a dinosaur!) - ~firefly~   chocolate makes everything better.  GL beating the ich - fishmommie   It's filled with good vibes, good luck - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyK   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MandyK   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - MandyK   

Default Re-Entering The Hobby: Mandy's Tiger Tank

4 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone!

Oh, the excitement of a blank page and the beginning of a brand new tank journal! I can't wait to share this journey with you.

So, a fish that I've been interested in for a long time but have been hesitant to delve into with is the Tiger Barb. I love the way these fish look, but there are a few reasons why I have stayed away from them up until this point.

1) People give the impression that they are more trouble than the are worth.
    2) It seems that their tank mates are quite limited due to their aggression, as well as the fact that they need to exist in reasonabally large numbers to be happy/healthy/not kill each
    other.
    3) I'm worried that I may get bored with them due to reasons one and two.

After considering all of those reasons, I have still decided to try them out. It seems like the only way to do Tiger Barbs is with a fresh tank, and that's what I have! As they say, the rest is history. Ha!

My husband and I spent the evening completely rearranging our living room to accomodate the new tank in a way that I found to be pleasing. After an hour or so (and totally destroying my floor in places) we came up with this.

Now to the tank itself.

This is a 55g we pulled out of an old trailer that my father-in-law has. Came with the stand and everything! But, yes, it needs help. I'm not sure how long it has sat in there, but the thing is super dirty. Lots of cleaning to come.

Attachment 53410Attachment 53411I'm not sure what type of substrate I'll have this time around, but I DO know that I'll be going with live plants. I'm running a single T5 light on top. There are two, but one is blown at the moment.

The filter is an EHEIM something or other. I know it filters 300 gph. I just forgot the specific number/name. And we also have an inline heater hooked up and attached.

We let the tank sit over night full of water to check for leaks and such. We're all good there. Now we have to replace a hose on the canister, hook it up, and give it a test run to make sure everything is still in working order there. Assuming all that goes swimmingly (ha!), all there will be is to acquire the needed funds for a new thermometer, Prime, and the fish. I'm not sure if I will invest in an API Master kit this time around, as I didn't use it apart from cycling. I plan on acquiring some seeded material from my pet store owner when I purchase the first round of fish so I can just skip all that cycling mess. NO THANK YOU!

That's pretty much it for now! Please, talk to me! Give me advice. I trust you all.

Let's DO THIS THING!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MandyK; 09-12-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Remembering how to insert pictures!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year! - fishmommie   Happy Easter - steeler58   glad you're back - showmebutterfly   Happy new year ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Hi Mandy,
    Welcome back! I have subscribed to your journal and will have fun watching your progress...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your new angels - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I will be watching to see what you do with it. So many options!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    Welcome back :) I always loved the tiger barbs too, but never got around to keeping them. I'll be reading to find out how you stock your tank. Nice start, the tank looks good adjacent to the TV :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You made the right call. In memory of the one who didn't make it. - Strider199   To help you find your puffers - KingFisher   ...a replacement puffer for you. (Couldn't find a dinosaur!) - ~firefly~   chocolate makes everything better.  GL beating the ich - fishmommie   It's filled with good vibes, good luck - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MandyK   Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - MandyK   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - MandyK   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone!

I'll do my best. I can't wait to see where this takes me.
    @angelcraze2 Thank you for the compliment. It took us two hours to get it arranged in an acceptable way. I really didn't want to put anything in front of my windows (on the right side), but I didn't really have a choice. I didn't want to compromise the status of the tank (light/algae/temp) by putting it there, so that's where the couch ended up going.

I would have preferred to have the tank under the TV, but there just wasn't enough room. The TV would have been touching the ceiling. Lol!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing you good luck! - Silbar   Here's one for your future school. - Boundava   Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58   New fish ;-) - steeler58   Just because :) - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I know many ppl place the aquarium next to/under/over the TV, but personally I find it too distracting. I personally would never really be watching the TV lol. I barely watch it now and my showtank is adjacent to my TV....but I guess I could sneak in watching the tank instead of a movie if the two were in the same direction! I get busted as it is now lol.

You have nice tall long windows. I have my loveseat in front of a window in my conversation room, but my window starts above the couch. Personally I think it's fine to put a couch in front of windows, if it looks good aethetically. My little dog Chelsea likes to use the couch to see out the window :)
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Mr 46,000 - steeler58   For surviving Harvey - Silbar   Hope you're drying out down there. - WhistlingBadger   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   Thanks for the rep! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

2 Not allowed!
    I like what you had on TV at the time....
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

4 Not allowed!
    Welcome back,

Here is a video which you may find fun for the tiger barbs. I know its a huge tank. But the idea is similare minus the clown loaches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Welcome back,

Here is a video which you may find fun for the tiger barbs. I know its a huge tank. But the idea is similare minus the clown loaches.
    I'm pretty sure the fish were thinking, "Holy crap! There's no place to hide! Every fish for themselves!"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome back, Mandy! I'm looking forward to following your build. I've always wanted to do a Barb tank, but as you stated, a 'fresh tank' is pretty much the way to go.

I'm so glad that you've got that... and now I'm *subscribed* to your journal.

You chose a nice placement for your tank. I'd imagine you will enjoy many viewing hours.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow