· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I am not trying to be sarcastic but if you understand the process then you know why it is not advisable to do any water changes in the middle of cycling. So, what was their reasoning for suggesting a WC? What was that supposed to accomplish?

0 Not allowed!
    And I am not trying not to be patient with the process and or not accepting the feed back but other fish owners say the opposite on what to do. So yeah it also doesn't always matter what one reads and understands. If you notice online many fish owners always say be patient, Read the nitrogen article. Yes this does play a big part in a cycle but misinformed information also greatly reduces the cycling process along the way for any future fish owners as well. We get into the hobby we give each other advice which is always a good thing till one says do it this way and then the other one says no don't do it that way do it this way. Many people imply that new members joining the hobby do not read and or follow other members directions and or advice, Well when you have several people telling you different things which one do you follow?, Anyone ever asked yourself this question before I am asking myself this question right now and of course know one has the answer to this question, Because there are thousands of opinions on which one is the right way of doing it.
    Last edited by Fish For Life; 10-08-2017 at 05:43 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   Have a beer for 5,000 posts ;-) - steeler58   Closest thing I could find for a gold star. - Taurus   Gold Star for that one! - RiversGirl   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Silbar   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - Silbar   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - Silbar   

1 Not allowed!
    I'm just trying to help. I do wish you good luck with your cycling.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the gift! I bow to your experience so i wanted to be sure that i did not give the OP wrong info. - Silbar   Tx for all the help for me and everyone else! - angelcraze2   Rocksor knows cichlids! - Brhino   Can''t give rep points, but great job on the diagnosis/treatment - Boundava   Sending you a geophagus to  tank you for your analytical powers! - discusluv   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish For Life View Post
    It was advised by another huge online fish site. I understand the process. What I don't understand is all the other advice given by other fish owners always in this hobby and or the opinions. Yes I get what your saying it seems with this hobby everyone has a opinion to which one and the step process a person should do. No wonder people get confused. Therefore it is not always about patience it is also about positive correct feed back from other fish owners. I think we all agree on this statement, THE CORRECT WAY, IS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY. If I ever come across rude in anyway it is never my intentions to do so just trying to do the hobby to the best of my ability. When a person has one mind and then has several opinions from several other minds well who wouldn't get confused.

ammonia can prevent the growth of nitrite eating bacteria

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on winning the DT! - Silbar   Congrats on the Platy fry - Silbar   Congrats on the shrimp! - Silbar   

0 Not allowed!
    My guess as to why you were told to do a wc was because your nitrIte is getting higher. It can stall a cycle if it gets too high, but in general if you're reading less than 5ppm on the API kit your in the safe zone.

I wait so long as I am not reading over 5ppm. I've held off dosing Ammonia for a couple days waiting. Usually it will kick around. I have had nitrIte go off the charts and I do a water change, just enough to get the nitrIte to readable levels again. Usually doesn't take much and usually means that Ammonia was dosed to high to start or there's an Ammonia source in the tank. Fish food method is notorious for this since you do not have control of how much Ammonia you get and it keeps adding as it rots.

To me it appears your nitrIte is still readable and I'd wait it out. You can go without dosing Ammonia 2-3 days but I wouldn't wait longer than that myself.

Once you get this tank cycled your future tanks will be much easier! You can steal media and jump start the cycle. All you have to do is have enough available or bump it up with Ammonia over a few days to increase the BB before adding fish. Easy peasy, I hate starting from scratch lol

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish For Life View Post
    And I am not trying not to be patient with the process and or not accepting the feed back but other fish owners say the opposite on what to do. So yeah it also doesn't always matter what one reads and understands. If you notice online many fish owners always say be patient, Read the nitrogen article. Yes this does play a big part in a cycle but misinformed information also greatly reduces the cycling process along the way for any future fish owners as well. We get into the hobby we give each other advice which is always a good thing till one says do it this way and then the other one says no don't do it that way do it this way. Many people imply that new members joining the hobby do not read and or follow other members directions and or advice, Well when you have several people telling you different things which one do you follow?, Anyone ever asked yourself this question before I am asking myself this question right now and of course know one has the answer to this question, Because there are thousands of opinions on which one is the right way of doing it.
    It can certainly be frustrating at times. There are often many ways one can accomplish a goal and my way might not work best for you or your way might not work best for me. For my very first tank (before the internet was a big thing), my LFS gave me some of their "dirty" water - lots of mulm from one of his tanks to start my tank. It worked for me. Another tank I loaded with plants for a while first (cycling with plants was a "thing" often talked about), then added fish after several weeks. Worked for me. These were actually partially cycling with fish, but the plants help a lot.

With 7 tanks now, I just use media from one tank to cycle another if needed. I've only ever used ammonia once and it took forever - but I got there. The nitrogen cycle is necessary, however you get there. We need that bacteria growth to process the ammonia and nitrites to make the environment safe for the fish. The bacteria is building mostly in the filter media, lesser amounts perhaps on decor and in substrate. The sticky on this forum provides a good way to get that cycle going.

Hang in there.

0 Not allowed!
    pH 7.2
    Ammonia 1.0 ppm
    Nitrite 0 ppm
    Nitrates 40 ppm