· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

Default Amazon Sword leaves melting

1 Not allowed!
    By melting, I mean they became very thin and transparent. Now they look like someone took a mini-gun to them and blew a thousand holes through the leaves. I have a very low tech setup (i.e. small gravel and a Beamswork 48" LED 6500k light that is on 8hrs/day). I've read some things on the net that suggest it could be an iron deficiency but I'm not sure. I'm still fairly new to live plants.

I also have Crypts and Vals in the tank that are doing OK. Both of those plants have seem to hit a wall if you will with their growth though, but neither are showing signs of dying.

Is there anything I can do (fertilizer or substrate wise) to boost the growth/chances for the plants in my tank? I'm willing to buy ferts but I just don't have the time and money to invest in more lighting or CO2 at this time, nor do I really want to, lol. By substrate, I meant could I add Seachem or Flora Max to what I have now?

***Note *** I have trimmed all of the dying leaves from the plants, leaving only 1 leaf on a plant and 2 on the other.
    Last edited by Law Dog; 09-09-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    how long have you had the swords? It could be an adjustment period

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    how long have you had the swords? It could be an adjustment period
    I've had the swords for at least 2 months and the Vals/Crypts since about early May (so 4 months for them).
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

0 Not allowed!
    You shouldnt have to upgrade your lights or add CO2 for the swors. I used a single 48" aqua glo flourescent bulb, no CO2 and fertilization in a 24" deep tank for about 4 amazon swords with no issues growing. I did have melt off initially to about a few stalks, and all I had were swords.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    You shouldnt have to upgrade your lights or add CO2 for the swors. I used a single 48" aqua glo flourescent bulb, no CO2 and fertilization in a 24" deep tank for about 4 amazon swords with no issues growing. I did have melt off initially to about a few stalks, and all I had were swords.
    Thanks..... I think I'll just keep doing what I have been, and maybe buy a bottle of liquid fert to add after my W/C's. I've read about pro's and con's to adding flourite to regular gravel. I'll take it 1 step at a time though.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    Thanks..... I think I'll just keep doing what I have been, and maybe buy a bottle of liquid fert to add after my W/C's. I've read about pro's and con's to adding flourite to regular gravel. I'll take it 1 step at a time though.
    Sounds like a plan. Just remember that not all plants work well with all water chemistry. Keep it simple and focus on the ones that you can successfully keep without letting BBA or massive algae blooms make taking care of your tank more work tha necessary.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - ApistoJoe   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

2 Not allowed!
    Also keep an eye on your pleco, if he's still in there. I had a large amazon sword with a bushy nose pleco. He used to like to rasp on the leaves so that became as you described - thin and transparent. I trimmed them off regularly.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   great job on figuring out your photos - bpete   

2 Not allowed!
    Sword plants melting to a thin white is often times an Iron Deficiency and tons of small holes are a a sign of potassium deficiency. Hope that helps
    My Aquarium Journals:

LiveBearer Aquascape

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I'm going to pick up a bottle of SeaChem Flourish today to see if that helps. Thanks for the replies and suggestions!
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a tetra, happy you got your Emperors ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I use root tabs for my swords and it seems to do the trick. I haven't tried using just flourish.. I do have some. You'll have to let us know how your swords respond.
    DM's 20g high - journal