· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dog View Post
    That's what I purchased.... Seachem Flourish Tabs.

After the initial signs of improvement, they've regressed to what they were but continue to grow new leaves.... BUT the older leaves die off just as fast as the new ones come in. IDK what else to do as they won't die off completely but also won't grow past 3" high before the leaves die off. I've read that swords love iron but haven't found anything I can add to the substrate that contains high levels of iron. Maybe I'll put a piece of raw iron under their roots, lol.
    I know Osmocote Plus has Fe in it-something like 0.46% (.02 water soluble and 0.0? chelated-can't see the images online), but Flourish tabs have more; 2.2% all water soluble so I am unsure if Fe is the issue. Are you still adding fertilizers to the water column?

What type of lighting do you have on the tank and how far is it from the plant? May not be getting enough light along with the fertilizer.

I also see you added the root tabs in May, have you added any since then? You may need to add them every few (5-6) months-at least near the swords.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Ok I just took a look, they have more than 7-10, more like 15-22, but what I mean is they change the way they grow depending on how often I add the root tabs. They might blast out growth for a few rounds of leaves, leaves double in size, then die down a bit with regular sized leaves but I remove leaves if they start to look ugly. I'll strip an amazon sword right down to 5 leaves and give it a root tab if it needs it, they always come back.
    I use different brands of root tabs, different types, but find the DIY Osmocote tabs are just as effective as the ones made for aquariums, it depends on if you prefer convenience to price.

Good to know Seachem tabs has iron too. It seems I fell victim to API's marketing ploy "API plus iron" tabs lol.
    Last edited by angelcraze2; 12-12-2018 at 01:39 AM.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    I know Osmocote Plus has Fe in it-something like 0.46% (.02 water soluble and 0.0? chelated-can't see the images online), but Flourish tabs have more; 2.2% all water soluble so I am unsure if Fe is the issue. Are you still adding fertilizers to the water column?

What type of lighting do you have on the tank and how far is it from the plant? May not be getting enough light along with the fertilizer.

I also see you added the root tabs in May, have you added any since then? You may need to add them every few (5-6) months-at least near the swords.
    I added more tabs in August, and my lighting is a Beamswork 6500k 48" that sits 1" above the lid. The tank is 26" deep. I also had my old flouro light kick on for 4hrs in my middle of my LED time but that increase algae so I stopped. I add ferts to the water column every 2 weeks after a WC.

I plan on making my own tabs next time using Osmocote.
    * 100gal show
    - planted w/ Crypts, Vals, Java Fern, Staurogyne repens and Amazon Swords
    - Neons, 4 Angelfish, Sunset Honey Gourami, BN Pleco, Spotted Sailfin
    Pleco, Odessa Barbs, Corydoras schwartzi, Serpae Tetras, Silver tip tetras
    * Fluval Spec V
    - Dwarf Gourami, , 1 Kuhli loach, 2 Black Phantom Tetras
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas to you and your family Nat. - Taurus   Merry Xmas to you! - angelcraze2   Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with the light so I am unsure if it is reaching the whole 27" height of the tank, that is a tall tank. Also I think if you dosed your liquid fertilizers on a weekly basis it may help as well.
    5.5g- Shrimp tank
    Tub Tanks
    5g Opa Ulae salty tank
    Fish room-*pending*

TUB tanks:
    5.5 Shrimp Tanks
    Goldfish Tank
    Fish Room
    Salty Shrimp

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    My 120g is 26" deep and my 90g is 24" deep. My lights are also 1" off the glass canopy and I use Beamswork fixtures. Is it the 0.5W diode EA Beamwork 6500k? Or the 1W diode HE Beamswork 6500k?
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because I back our Blue...thanks for your service - Silbar   Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Have another angel fish... - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   No Message - Law Dog   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Is it the 0.5W diode EA Beamwork 6500k? Or the 1W diode HE Beamswork 6500k?
    I'm 99% sure it's the 0.5w. I've been debating on whether to upgrade it to a 1w FS.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, you don't have very much light for the plants with that fixture alone. PAR for that fixture is only 11 @18" depth (where your swords are. At the substrate, you only have about 7 PAR!

PAR is available light for your plants to use. Plants don't use the same spectrum we see with our eyes and perceive as brightness. For example, we perceive green and yellow light as brightness, but plants use very little of this. They use mostly red and blue light which does not look very bright to us. Also blue light penetrates the water the furthest, not green and yellow, so that why PAR is so important to consider.

I have the 1W HE-type Beamswork fixtures for my foreground in both my 120g and 90g tanks. I also have a 0.5W fixture in the back. The 1W fixtures I currently have are obsolete now, and I think the new HE 6500k have 120 lenses instead of the 90 lenses on mine. I find my 1W fixtures focus the light straight down and doesn't illuminate the top portion of the tank very well. That's one reason I supplement with the 0.5W EA fixtures.

But i'm pretty impressed with the newer fspec BW fixtures. I have the EA fspec on my 18" deep tank, or looks so dim, but grows my plants surprisingly well. The PAR on these is just a bit more than the 6500k EA fixtures. The spectrum is cooler, but has red, blue and green diodes to bring out more colors in the fish and plants. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Beamswork's 6500k color rendition, it looks too yellow for me.

So to sum it up, if I was to buy a new fixture to grow my low profile plants in my deep tanks, I'd get the DA fspec. I already know the 1W DHL (HE type) fixtures grow my low profile plants well. The DA fspec with 5 rows of diodes is almost exact to the HE! Here's some PAR data
    20181014_162726.jpg

I'd keep your 6500k EA fixture on the back half of the tank as well. I think it will make a nice overall color rendition for you. Hope all this makes enough sense!

And also PAR data for other fixtures
    14979716607641048650394.jpg

Approx PAR guide
    Low light 10-30 PAR
    Med light 31-80 PAR
    High light 81+ PAR
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Because of the 90 lense on the DHL fixtures, the PAR is greater. Also the reason they don't illuminate the top portion very well. But the new HE replacement fixtures don't have that problem, and PAR is just a little less, so if you adore the 6500k color rendition, maybe go with the HE 1W instead of the DA spec which have similar PAR values for the substrate. It's really what you prefer between the two.
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by angelcraze2 View Post
    Because of the 90 lense on the DHL fixtures, the PAR is greater. Also the reason they don't illuminate the top portion very well. But the new HE replacement fixtures don't have that problem, and PAR is just a little less, so if you adore the 6500k color rendition, maybe go with the HE 1W instead of the DA spec which have similar PAR values for the substrate. It's really what you prefer between the two.
    I guess I didn't do enough research when I bought this light. I've searched for the 1w light but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. I did notice in your previous post the DA version which I believe is the PENT, it has a PAR rating of 36 at 24". That's better than the HE 1w version. So, I guess my next question would be, if I get the DA should I just get the white/blue or FSpec version? I really can't afford a higher end light at this point, nor could I justify it with the boss (wife), lol.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Nevermind my question above. I see that the Lumens are the same for both the white/blue and FSpec lights, so basically the only difference is one is full spectrum which should make the tank look different from what I'm use to. I think I may just try liquid and tab fertilizers for now and see how the plants react.

OH, I nearly forgot! I made my own root tabs last night. I went out and bought Osmocote Plus 14-14-14 last night as well as a bag of 00 gel tabs. While I only made around 75 or so, that should get me started. I still have around 175 empty gel tabs in the bag waiting to be filled, lol. I plan on adding them when I do the next WC, which will be Tuesday.
    * 100gal show
    * Fluval Spec V
    - planted w/ Crypts