· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Default Lighting dilemma

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

I'm upgrading my 10gal to a 20gal high (24" length) and need new lighting. I'm a college student, so I don't have much money to throw around. I've heard that I should go with T8 and 6500K but I'm having a hard time finding something that will be strong enough with what length I have to work with. I have low light plants currently and no CO2 injections.

Thoughts?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the help! You need a gift. - Pleco380   Have another fish for your AC Tank! - Northernguy   Thanks for reassuring me I'm not a hoarder ;) - Rue   for making me laugh when i read your other pets in your profile. lol - Jeddi   Thanks - Cliff   
    Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - promise   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - promise   Childhood Cancer - promise   

0 Not allowed!
    Do you have a Home Depot near you?
    I found some cheap bulbs in the 2 different spectrums blue and red wavelengths for like $9.99 before
    16 tanks and counting

The more i look at your tank the more i want your tank in my tank!
    Chris

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    This is a nice LED light which should be OK for low light plants. The tanks I have it on are not as deep as yours, however.

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingr...stingray+24%22

This one will give you more light but is a bit pricier:

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...lanted+plus+24

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    I have both the lights that Sue linked. I like both of them.

The Stingray, although a lot cheaper than other LED fixtures that are of comparable sizes/intensities, is no slouch.

Here is what I grew with my Stingray on a 18"-tall 55g tank a couple years ago. I didn't know much about plants back then and still managed to grow a nice jungle without killing anything haha

V__0B4D.jpg

You'll have to forgive the color of the light/tank. I had a lot of tannins staining the water from the driftwood at the time. The light is actually very crisp and bright, with some blue and reds added to make your fish's colors pop.

"It's my whimsical colorful slice of paradise." - Debra Mozurkewich, RIP

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to all for the help! I was looking at the Stingray but was unsure if my tank was too deep :) I have the substrate built up quite a bit so I'm hoping that will also help with the depth of the light. Should I compensate for a lowing W light by extending the time lit? I'm at 10hrs right now, should I bump it up?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't extend the time you light the tank. I run most of my tanks for just 6 - 7 hrs. I have Finnex FugeRay lights (discontinued model) on 3 tanks, and Current Satellite lights on 2 tanks. I prefer the Finnex. The Stingrays I bought for two 5.5g tanks, one of which is empty now but the other is running. This one I have some issues with hair algae, as it's in my bedroom and I keep forgetting to go back upstairs to turn it off so it's on sometimes 10 hrs (or more) which is way too much for this tank.