· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Plant Questions

Default Plant Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I知 new to the hobby and am trying to learn everything I can about planted tanks. I work at a high school in the special needs department and I知 getting a 55 gallon aquarium and want to make it look natural. I知 trying to figure out the whole live plant thing. I know some plants don稚 need as much light as others. Will it hurt to put a low light plant in an aquarium with medium to high light?

Also how do you know if your light is low, medium, or high? Would this light from Amazon be a good option and would it be low, medium, or high for a 55 gallon?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...9S7LWH0S&psc=1

Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

merry xmas XD - genocidex   for your kind words! - C-Dub   Welcome Skinner! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Rue   Happy B-Day! - Rue   

2 Not allowed!
    There are some attractive low-light plants. Java ferns, Anubias, some crypts and even some Amazon Swords. The java ferns and Anubias are rhizome plants. You can either tie them to driftwood or rocks that are shaped to accommodate them, using invisible fishing line, or you can plant their ROOTS into the substrate, but leave the rhizomes on the surface of the substrate. Don't bury the rhizomes. They'll rot.

These plants require very little fertilization, and will grow rapidly.

You can also add Java moss, but beware -- it can become a pest very quickly and overtake the scenery. You can also drop Marimo Moss balls into the tank and let them rest on the substrate. They are deep green algae balls, and look quite attractive.

If you want higher lighting and plants to go with it, I suggest you read up on the plant articles in the sidebars of this forum.

I don't know about combining various light intensities -- I've never heard of anyone doing it.

Anubias have the capacity to bloom, occasionally. The flowers look like miniature Calla Lilies.

20-gallon aquarium Anubias blossom.jpg20-gallon aquarium closer Anubias blossom.jpg
    20 gal. high: planted; 7 white cloud minnows, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Good advice from Mermaid.
    I would personally select a few from the list she gave to try out. See how those do. Get more of the one or two that does best in your tank. I think a few plant types (vs many types) make for a natural, easy-to-maintain look.

As cautioned above, I would probably skip the java moss, due to messiness of it. I also would personally skip the Marimo balls as well -- unless you are going to care for them specifically, you run the risk of them breaking apart and then that moss grows in various (not always wanted) places all over the tank too. But this is your tank (well, under your care) so it is your decision of course.

Welcome to the AC. I hope you will let us know what you try and how it works for you.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for your comcern and healing thoughts - Silbar   I wish I could give you a hug. - Silbar   Thinking of you ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep! - Silbar   
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    I want to add:
    Thank you for choosing to work in the special needs department. You might not realize how much of a difference you make in the lives you touch, but you do make a very big impact.
    Learn from yesterday
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles with your dogs.  Best wishes hoping your other dog fully recovers. - angelcraze2   I'm sorry for your loss of Maggie - Silbar   No Message - Hockey nut   Congrats on the baby Dupe - Silbar   No Message - ApistoJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not familiar with the light you have linked but this is an alternate that would provide lower light - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NAFQ99I?ref=emc_b_5_t - although it doesn't have the moonlight option of the one you're looking at.

The plant suggestions above are good ones. I particularly like anubias and crypts (Crypt Wendtii, Undulata, lucens, and many more). Another suggestion are hygrophilia species - (corymbosa, difformis, angustifolia). These also do well in lower light.

If you go with high light and high light plants, you'll also need to add ferts. Others can advise you more in that case.