· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Betta Write-up

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your first year of being smoke-free - RiversGirl   Congrats on making it to one year - steeler58   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Excellent vid of RO/DI unit. - Silbar   Very Nice Betta write-up - Jwfish13   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks @mac. It's beyond the time frame for me to be able to edit it, but if you or the others need to change some stuff in there, go for it. I know we had discussed the issue of debatable topics, like the tank size, on our FB discussions. Didn't know if I came across too strongly here of if that was the stance you guys want to take.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    I will check on the desk top along with a correlation on the face book messages.
    But from what i have read its perfectly written.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

well done - mac   well done - mac   for you sick fish - mac   I'm sorry waylon!  Didn't mean at all to discredit you!  Sorry to hear of your crazy mean angelfish!  You taught me a lesson. - angelcraze2   For being a friendly memeber - mac   

0 Not allowed!
    This is a really good resource!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

thank you for the moss - Hockey nut   For being a good sport ;-) - steeler58   No Message - BluewaterBoof   You deserve a medal for all of your hard work! - Silbar   Hang in there, you will get it all done! - RiversGirl   

0 Not allowed!
    Nice write up my only issue is with the betta sorority.

Female aggression – Females are much more tolerant of their own kind and can oftentimes be kept together with other females in what is called a betta “sorority.” There may be some chasing and aggression at first, but this is due to the females establishing a pecking order. Once the pecking order is set and each girl knows her place within the sorority, most - if not all - the aggression will cease. If several days go by and the females continue to chase each other and tear up their fins, it is advisable to look into rehoming some of the females.

Females are as aggressive or even have the potential to be more aggressive than males. Having had a gentleman who breeds betta speak to the club I attend, he explained the only reason a betta sorority works is because the chemicals released by each individual betta is accepted by the others-grudgingly. IF a female is removed from the tank, she can never be re-introduced. He said a slight imbalance in the tank can also cause the girls to suddenly no accept each other and attack their "sisters". In my opinion forcing fish to live together for our convenience is not right.

I know some have success, but I know a lot more where their sorority ended in lots of fish damaged or even killed.
    75g- Plecos, Rainbowfish, Edlers, Espei, Gouramis, Cory, Loaches, Amano, and misc.
    Two 5.5g- Shrimp tanks; one with 4 chili rasbora & Bloody Mary and second with Blue Dream shrimp
    5.5g- Rescue female betta Lucky Star
    20L- Rescue betta Tony Stark and pygmy corys
    20L- Pygmy cory, 2 vampire/rock shrimp, ember tetras and female guppies

75g:
    Nat's 20L Tanks
    5.5 G Shrimp Tanks

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy new year! - Brookfish   Happy New Year! - The Red Severum   Congratulations on your rep star :-) - Celtic Fins   Welcome back - mommy1   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Nat,

Would you like to possibly do a draft of the female aggression??

mac